Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fruit problems?

3 years out... I CAN eat any fruit, but as a practical matter, I only eat berries on a regular basis. Most fruits are quite sugary and high carb and take up too much room. Berries make a good snacky food - like popping blueberries takes up some of that "snack desire"

Anyway, my opinion, I don't see any reason to try to "push" and consume all those fruits early out. If you get tummy aches, diarrea etc. why push it? You have the whole rest of your life to intro those sugary foods.

This thread has really demonstrated how individual all of our food tolerances are. I'm amazed at the people who are still restricted in what they can tolerate more than six months out. I had a strong, accommodating stomach pre-op, and it still seems to be working well.

The only reason I don't eat much fruit is that I try to keep my sugar consumption low and the lactose in my yogurt uses up too much of my sugar allowance. Otherwise I'd be chowing down on fruit on a daily basis. I really like it and my stomach has no problem with it.

I wonder if our post-op intolerances are actually just our pre-op intolerances magnified. A lot of people claim that undiagnosed food intolerances are common. Maybe they are right.

Some fruits for are just too sweet and just bring it up, although it's a natural sugar but Ur taste buds have changed. Just try and try again. I had my rny 7 years ago

The only fruits I have tried so far are strawberries, apples, and watermelons. I have had no issues with those. I haven't tried bananas yet. They just don't sound good to me.

I agree it's likely a combo of the Fiber and sugar. It may just be a phase. I would give the fruits that are causing problems a break for now and try them again in a month or 2.

I can eat any fruit I like no problem. I have fruit several times a week. The only fruit I haven't tried are bananas and that's only because I hate them.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I started having fruit maybe after 6 months. I can have raspberries, strawberries, guava, pomegranate, canteloupe, pears, peaches, apples.....pretty good but I stay away from fruit.....i mix the berries into my cottage cheese daily (little amount). Bananas are too heavy for me though.

It just amazes me how little about food I really know. It use to be at least try to eat 2 fruits a day and now it's oh fruit has too much sugar in it. Pre op I heard of fruit being to sugary but I always thought an apple a day keeps the doctor away not that apple might cause problems. Blows my mind!

I'd have to double check but I believe apples and bananas have the highest amount of sugar. Its a balancing act though. With fruit you also get Fiber, which typically keep us regular. It's just with these fussy sleeves sometimes it can make you a little too regular.

I'd have to double check but I believe apples and bananas have the highest amount of sugar. Its a balancing act though. With fruit you also get fiber, which typically keep us regular. It's just with these fussy sleeves sometimes it can make you a little too regular.

Ugh tell me about it!

I love fruit! And it's great after a workout--with Protein first, of course!

I'm almost 7 months out and eat bananas, apples, dried apricots, peaches and figs regularly. Tried to eat plums this week, but could only tolerate a few bites before my tummy felt wonky. Haven't tried citrus or pineapple.

I love fruit! And it's great after a workout--with Protein first, of course!

I'm almost 7 months out and eat bananas, apples, dried apricots, peaches and figs regularly. Tried to eat plums this week, but could only tolerate a few bites before my tummy felt wonky. Haven't tried citrus or pineapple.

Yeah a lot of fruit for me taste different too. Mango is my life! But it taste too sour to me now. I'm hoping once mango season kicks in it taste back to deliciousness to me

I can tolerate canteloupe and pineapple :D okay apples will have to be a rare treat now

I'm 4 months out...

I've been able to handle banana w/ Peanut Butter, tangerine (not quite a whole one and I really made sure to remove any "strings.") and 1 or 2 apple slices w/no skin.

I think that's all I've tried so far.

Strawberries and blueberries doesn't bother me. I recently added a small amount a few times a week about 10 days ago. So good. I'm so tired of eating meat and fish.