Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

My name is Pilar and I'll have my bypass surgery on Monday March 9th. I have read your forum for months and I have to say thank you to everyone here. All the information you share is very useful and we can't feel alone seeing all that people sharing their experiences. So thank you very much to you all!!

I'm so scared and I can't sleep very well these days, but I hope this is the right decision and it will improve my life quality in a long term.

I'm 33 and I have a BMI of 45, that's morbid obesity. I don't have many additional problems but I'm suffering a thyroid illness that doesn't help me to maintain my weight. Even though I have good habits, I'm not able to stop my weight gaining. Not to mention to loss weight, that would be a miracle actually.

I've been fighting against obesity my entire life and it's exhausting. I started my research on surgery, I was afraid of not be able to eat anymore. I didn't want it but I needed help.

So, finally, following my endocrinologist's advise and consulting some friends that are doctors, I decided to have the surgery. The specialty of my surgeon is the "gastro-ileal bypass", (I don't know how to translate into English correctly, some help would be appreciate). It's a variation of the traditional bypass with a single anastomosis and theoretically reversible.

Dr Resa (http://www.doctorresa.com) has developed this technique that originally was conceived as a first step of the bypass for extreme morbid obeses where the surgery was very risky. His intention was to make a second surgery to finish the traditional bypass after the patient loss a certain quantity of weight (less risky situation). But then, he and his team realized that the second surgery wasn't necessary.

The risks are minimized and, after many years of practicing this technique, he and his team are able to make the surgery in about 30 minutes by laparoscopic way.

So I'm here to share also my experience, hoping that helps to others (like yours helps me) and thank you for your sharing. Also I have to admit that I'm here seeking for your support and good company :-)

I don't know if there is anyone from Spain here, I would like to know :-)

In Spain there is a forum related to weight loss but, in my opinion, they are so focused to put you in contact with their own doctors that it seems to be an advertising business, not a support forum. I feel overwhelmed with so many messages from the forum administrator suggesting me surgeons and asking me my personal contact information. I actually provided my contact data and then I received a mail from a surgeon. Maybe they only want to help but the method they do, it's oppressive in my opinion.

Thank you very much for reading such a long post. Let's keep in touch!

My roots are originally from Tejeda, Spain. I am 38 years old and am coming up on one year out from surgery. It has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. I also have a thyroid issue. At first I had hyperthyroidism, which usually causes extreme weight loss. But not with me...I was at my highest weight of 302 lbs. I had radiation on my thyroid because it was making my heart work incredibly hard. My resting heart rate was 140bpm. My thyroid was balanced for about 4 years and then plummeted. I have been on levothyroxine for a while now. I did have to increase the dosage about 6 months after surgery. So make sure doctors are checking it because it can impair your weight loss as you have probably found out. Best of luck to you feel free to message me about your experiences, frustrations, etc. Best of luck to you from the USA.

Thank you for your message! [emoji8][emoji8]