Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 5 weeks post op

I had my lap band surgery on 1/27/15. The gas pains were the worst, I will say. However that is now all a distant memory. I think I'm doing well, I've lost 13 pounds since surgery (56 total since August). I've also lost 13 total inches since surgery. I love that I can not only see it but more importantly feel it.

I have to think the band is truly working for me. I haven't had a fill yet (I go March 12th) but I can honestly say I am able to go 4-5 hours without being hungry and can stay at 4oz total food per meal. I don't snack at all aside from a glass of skim milk nightly.

Is it possible for the band to work this well without any Fluid? (Not that I'm complaining!) I'm so afraid my Dr will give me a fill and it will somehow do more harm then good and have bad results.

Congratulations !

It is absolutely possible for the band to work with little to no Fluid in it. I watched a Youtube video that was posted by 2 banded women (friends) who both had wonderful results with the band. One of the women has lost 120+ lbs and has never yet had a fill...! Just the pressure from the band being placed itself was enough to trigger satiety and weight loss.

I believe this is the exception, rather than the rule.

When you go for a consult, the nurse or whoever is doing your adjustment) will weigh you and then before touching the needle should ask you a lot of questions including:

• What is your satiety like between meals (can you go 3-4 hours or more between meals easily, or are you hungry and looking for food at the 2 hour mark)?
  • What are you eating? (Adequate Protein, fibre, complex carbs?)
  • Are you losing weight?
  • How do you feel??

Depending on what your answers are, the nurse will decide whether a fill is required. If you are making progress and feel great, you and the nurse together may decide that a band adjustment is simply necessary at this point!

Thanks!

@@TheProfessor thank you for all the info! I will definitely speak with the Dr (or nurse) before the fill to see if maybe we should leave well enough alone. And who knows, maybe things will change before then with my hunger (but I certainly hope not!)

Congrats on your results so far! I have to agree that the gas pains are awful! I am post op day #4 and have terrible gas pains in my chest and left shouder blade. I have refused to weigh myself so far. I am hungry which was a little disheartening. I am just being sure to continue with the liquid diet. I was told I wouldn't be hungry for at least ten days. I actually felt hungry day 1. :( I get my first fill in two weeks. I wish you continued success. :)

@@Drband14 thank you so much! I agree the air bubbles/gas pains were the worst. I actually have a lot of back pain still to this day. I have no idea if it's related to the surgery but it started shortly after. My friend thinks it's because I'm overcompensating and trying to shield my belly from getting hurt. Whatever it is, I'd like it to stop, lol.

Good luck to you on your journey! I didn't weigh myself until my follow up with the Dr 9 days after surgery. Now I weigh myself every Friday and refuse to go near the scale otherwise.

@@Nikki D I do notice back pain when I'm walking; I think it's because I can't hold my tummy in and stand up straight due to the soreness in my abs. I think you have a good plan about weighing once a week following first post op visit. :)