Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New face.. New Make up

I am open to any suggestions as this is an unsure area for me...

I would never claim I knew how to properly put makeup on my old face but now it seems like I really am missing the mark...

I have been think about when I learned to put make up on and it was around 14 messing with my grandma's old stuff in her bathroom.. Loved that black eye liner and dried up mascara...

Until I was 16 I had never even bought new makeup and then it was wet and wild.. Needless to say I was overweight and covered with acne then and have only ever seen my

Overweight face and neck all made up.. So now on my almost 40 year old, 190 pound face things just don't look right.. Now the makeup has gotten a little better in brands..Cover girl or similar but application doesn't work the same...

I was thinking of maybe going to even more expensive makeup seeing if that would help..

I am a teacher so makeup is part of my daily route..

Would love any suggestions about brands or how you adjusted..

If you're unsure of how to apply the makeup, I don't think the brand or level of investment you make will help much- kind of like thinking if you buy expensive art supplies it will end up making you an awesome painter ;)

I'd suggest going into a place like Sephora, Bare Minerals (my brand) or Merle Norman and asking them for a makeover- unless you don't mind people watching you, then you could sit in the middle of a JCPenney for the same thing, but as a former teacher myself, the thought of doing that in a place where my students could saunter by would be a living nightmare. I'm sure those folks would be very patient with allowing you to ask questions and even practice on yourself while they were there. Let them know your level of expertise, what you do for a living, and how much time you're willing to spend on your makeup each morning, and I bet you'll get set up in no time! :)

WOW, I think that sounds awesome, I never thought to go and have someone help me figure out my "new face" :) glad I saw this post!!!!

I am still pre procedure but I've felt confused about makeup also, at 24 I think I have finally got a hang of it, but who knows, that just my opinion :P. What I have found helpful is YouTube. There are tons and tons of makeup channels where you can find tutorials and try them out yourself. I would sit with my makeup and my computer and watch, pause and do that step and then move on. It has taken some experimenting and lots of practice but I think its worth it... and I have fun with it now too. I remember the first 10 times I tried to do winged eye liner I ended up wiping it off because I thought it looked stupid, but i stuck with it and now wear it like that almost every day. One of my favorite makeup channels is Julia Graf. She has also recently lost quite a bit of weight and does videos on healthy recipes, fitness, ect.

I think quality products help for sure! Particularly with things like foundation and eye shadows. Go to macy's and choose one of the makeup counters where you like the looks of the products and ask for a makeover. This is what they are there to do! :)

You can access Bare Minerals in Macy's if you are interested in trying it (the foundations are really good) or you can try Mac, Clinique or one of the other brands if you prefer.

The thing is that the makeup artists in there actually work for the cosmetic company and so they are very educated and familiar with the products they are using. In sephora/ulta they work for the store and not the cosmetic line.

One thing I will say is that it is VERY important to invest in good makeup brushes! This makes ALL the difference. Good brushes are not cheap but they last for years and years. Like 10 or 20 years if you care for them properly. Just clean occassionally with a little Shampoo and let air dry.

Good luck, this is something you should definitely do. You are worth it! :) :) :)

Edited by woo woo

I agree with woo woo 100%! Being so overweight, makeup is what made me feel beautiful! I by no means am an expert, but I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on it. I feel like there are good options at the drugstore for makeup because the truth is, we can't all afford some of these brands. I have a lot of eyeshadow pallets that are more expensive and financially it makes more sense because you get several for $50 usually. My current favorite is my Too Faced pallets! Great quality and the good thing is that the colors all go well together so you can't really go wrong with that!

Brushes is something you need to invest in! They make a huge difference with blending eyeshadow and buffing out foundation. It's so important.

And I totally learned how to do makeup from youtube. There are some great tutorials on there showing you step by step. I am not a huge fan of someone else doing my makeup because they tend to go in the direction that they want to go instead of what you like. This way you can youtube an exact look. I started out just watching foundation reviews to find out my favorite. Also, Ultra and Sephora do samples. So go in and ask them to match you with foundations or concealers and they will give you samples to try for a week. That way you aren't wasting your money.

I hope this is helpful! I don't comment much but I love me some makeup!!! Lol

I have always been a makeup gal. I love buying and wearing makeup. Drug store brands have considerably stepped up their game in the last fews years. Better coverage and pigmentation. If you are unsure Sephora does offer classes in application. I would take youtube with a grain of salt because some tubers are not professionals and make recommendations that are not good. DO NOT use products that are not meant for your face to save money. Even if the ingredients are the. same the formulation and manufacturing process may be different.

Examples:

• Do not use monistat chafing cream as a face primer. Even an inexpensive one like E.L.F. is more appropriate.
  • Do not use red lip stick as an under eye concealer. Many brands like MAC and MAKEUPFOREVER have orange concealers that are formulated for the eye area. Some of the red dyes in lipsticks are not eye safe.

My favorite professional youtubers are Eve Pearl, Wayne Goss and Kevin James Bennet.

I love makeup! I like MAC, Anastasia (for eyebrows) oh just everything!! I get a lot of inspiration from makeup artist on YouTube.

@@teacherlady2133

When I was heavy I never put much effort into my makeup. When I hit onderland I bought Urban Decay's Naked3 Palette as a small goal gift. I am now such a girly girl. The colors are great for my age. Can easily go from a subtle day time look. And pump it up for night.

I love Jaclyn Hill. She has some great make up looks.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Jaclynhill1

urban-decay-naked-3-rose-gold-L-pXzAOo.p

I'm a MAC girl. I have never bought a MAC product I haven't been 100% happy with. your initial investment will be costly. Probably right around 250 dollars. After that you only need to piece replace. The girl at the counter will be more than happy to help you pick colors and show you basic makeup application. As someone else it said brushes make all the difference.

MAC is an okay mid-range product. The product is not as good a is used to be prior to being acquired by Estee Lauder but it is very popular and easily accessible. I still like MAC for their eye shadows, but for foundation prefer Coverfx, brows I like NYX, MUFE, Anastasia. Drugstore brands I like Revlon, ELF, NYX.

I love Merle Norman. I tried different kinds but I always go back.

@@MichelleTN - I haven't used that in years! I played around with it in high school/college. Unfortunately it's not very brown gal friendly.

The thing is that the makeup artists in there actually work for the cosmetic company and so they are very educated and familiar with the products they are using.

Good luck, this is something you should definitely do. You are worth it! :) :) :)

Sounds like you work for L'Oreal :P

tumblr_ml1ys7o7kc1s62yhyo2_r1_500.jpg