Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Sleevers...where are you?

***update*** post op day 5. I went home the day after my surgery and slept most of the day. My husband andministered my meds and provided me with my prescribed liquid pain meds. That's when everything spiraled out of control. I got so sick, dry heaving all over the place, anything that came out was white foam. Something was definitely wrong. I was brought to the ER on day 3 with nausea, chest pain, sob, liquid intolerance etc. They took me immediately into a CT scan and barium swallow and ran a lot of blood work. By the grace of God I did not have a pulmonary embolism or leakage but I got readmitted to the hospital . I received a cocktail of meds that night and I awoke the next day a new person. I felt amazing and I was able to take in all of fluids and learned I can swallow a lot of liquid. I am walking every hour, use my incentive spirometer every six minutes and I'm passing gas. Yay! The surgeon came by and it was explained that I had a reaction to the pain med and I had inflammation in my diaphragm. Here I am on day 5 and I should be getting discharged. Though I felt great the morning of day 4, they wanted to keep me another night for monitoring. This whole ordeal was the absolute worst feeling ever! I'm not going to sugar coat it. Some have it easy but there are a few who will have a hard time. My suggestion, don't leave unless you are 100% percent sure you are ready. Listen to your body, the moment you feel like something is wrong, go back to the hospital. You don't deserve to suffer and the hospital doesn't want you to either. They will do everything to make you feel better. At the same time you won't get much sympathy if you're the person two rooms down from me who had their family bring them fried chicken on post op day 1. That's a whole other story.... Anyway, good luck, and listen to the staff!

I'm getting super nervous - it's not like a bad hair cut - it's forever.

May 18th

Too funny ! True but maybe forever will be longer, healthier and happier.

Looks like it's just me on 25th. Start my pre op diet tomorrow and am having a final glass of wine right now! I'm just on high Protein for two weeks not a liquid diet. I don't think it's quite so strict here. I'm English but live in Bahrain. Having my surgery here with a three night hospital stay.

My surgery is scheduled for May 20th if I have no more insurance hold up currently on my two weeks diet

My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday May 12th. It's been a long road. Started this journey 9 months ago. I must admit. I have a lot of emotions going on. Excited and nervous at the same time

Hey there! I just had my sleeve on May 7th and as of today May 10th I feel FABULOUS!!! And already lost an additional 5lbs. I lost 15 on the pre-op diet :). Best of luck to you!

Edited by amacox

There are so many of us getting sleeved in May. It's amazing. I'm also having my sleeve done on Tuesday, May 12th. Exciting stuff.

***update*** post op day 6. I'm very fortunate to work in a position where I can work from home. Though my job is rather sedentary, i'm definitely not ready to be at the office. It is currently 4:30am. I was awoken to chest pain and having a hard time breathing. Nothing I'm too concerned about but I got up paced back and fourth in my apartment and I'm using my incentive spirometer. I also took a pain med to reduce any inflammation. I'm sure you're asking why I'm sharing this... Well I want to share that there are a number of things that you may feel afterward. Chest pain and tightness, bloating, swelling, Constipation. The constipation is the worst! Any how they're all bearable but uncomfortable. I considered my self pretty healthy before the surgery. I'm a runner, I have a degree in medical nutrition therapy and I'm a medical professional, so I know what to do. I just have the short end of the genetic stick. Anyhow, I was convinced this was going to be a breeze because I am so healthy. That's not necessarily the case. I'm surprised I'm going through all of these uncomfortable experiences. But it's teaching me a lot. In these forums it seems as though there's really good stories and then really bad stories but rarely in between. I think my experience is in between. I'm definitely experiencing things I didn't expect. Like I said before most are bearable (except the reaction to a medication) but I want you all to keep in mind those little things that might make it uncomfortable. Come up with an action plan should anything go awry. Don't think the worst but be prepared to have some sleepless nights and not so pleasant situations. Either way, you're all going to do great. Just keep your head straight and don't do anything unless your 100% ready to. That goes for your diet to! You're going to feel some strange achy things going on in there. Just stop consuming for a little while and let your banana belly do it's job. That's another thing! You learn you can't be part of the "clean your plate club" sorry folks, they kicked you out haha. Anyway, I won't rant any further. Take care of yourselves, there's an amazing story out there and you're going to write it. Much love to you all!

Sabl3r- I'm glad you've turned the corner and are doing better. I'm an RN and since I'm 59 years old I expected to have issues. I've been very lucky in my recovery, but my surgeon laid a lot of ground work to make sure I would be as good as possible. I'm post op day 6 too. I am able to keep sipping and yesterday got 64 Oz in and 60gm of Protein. I made it to church, went to see my mother in law and sister. Although I can get in & out of my suv it's tiring. Every where we went I found a chair and sat. I agree with you that we need to remember that we've had surgery and that it's going to take a bit for everything to get back to our new normal. We've been given a gift and just need to be prepared to adapt as we go.

I'm May 15th! Noon surgery time, check in @ 10:30 a.m. I can't believe it's FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!

***update*** post op day 6. I'm very fortunate to work in a position where I can work from home. Though my job is rather sedentary, i'm definitely not ready to be at the office. It is currently 4:30am. I was awoken to chest pain and having a hard time breathing. Nothing I'm too concerned about but I got up paced back and fourth in my apartment and I'm using my incentive spirometer. I also took a pain med to reduce any inflammation. I'm sure you're asking why I'm sharing this... Well I want to share that there are a number of things that you may feel afterward. Chest pain and tightness, bloating, swelling, Constipation. The constipation is the worst! Any how they're all bearable but uncomfortable. I considered my self pretty healthy before the surgery. I'm a runner, I have a degree in medical nutrition therapy and I'm a medical professional, so I know what to do. I just have the short end of the genetic stick. Anyhow, I was convinced this was going to be a breeze because I am so healthy. That's not necessarily the case. I'm surprised I'm going through all of these uncomfortable experiences. But it's teaching me a lot. In these forums it seems as though there's really good stories and then really bad stories but rarely in between. I think my experience is in between. I'm definitely experiencing things I didn't expect. Like I said before most are bearable (except the reaction to a medication) but I want you all to keep in mind those little things that might make it uncomfortable. Come up with an action plan should anything go awry. Don't think the worst but be prepared to have some sleepless nights and not so pleasant situations. Either way, you're all going to do great. Just keep your head straight and don't do anything unless your 100% ready to. That goes for your diet to! You're going to feel some strange achy things going on in there. Just stop consuming for a little while and let your banana belly do it's job. That's another thing! You learn you can't be part of the "clean your plate club" sorry folks, they kicked you out haha. Anyway, I won't rant any further. Take care of yourselves, there's an amazing story out there and you're going to write it. Much love to you all!

Sablr3r,

Thank you for posting this. 7 days out today, I was doing extremely well until yesterday!! The constipation and the associated cramps with it was bearable until last night. I stayed on the living room couch not moving an muscle and sweating profusely until the cramps faded. Holy Crap, it hurt!!!! I'm doing all the right things like walking, moving, keeping hydrated, using gas-X etc., but, surgery is surgery and these are things associated with it, I just wasn't expecting it to be this harsh for me. I'm praying to get over this stage quickly!!! jake