Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi ! Welcome!

This is the place to tell us all about your journey! If you are just starting research, or have had your operation, tell us ALL about it here.

There are lots of names for this surgery: MGB (mini gastric bypass), OAGB (one anastomosis gastric bypass), Omega Loop, LMGB (laparoscopic mini gastric bypass). These are the same operations, but there can be some very slight differences by different doctors. As in, some European doctors have instituted a new method in their OAGB that places a stitch that is supposed to stop reflux and bile coming back up. Some other doctors in Europe are now doing this operation robotically, which is said to be a safer way of operating (no human errors). If you have had MGB /OAGB / OmegaLoop / LMGB write about your journey here.

Be sure to tell us your Doctor name, location, and if you feel comfortable, your starting weight and what you weigh now. THANKS! WELCOME TO OUR CLAN!

Since I started this thread, I should at least introduce myself... lol.

Hi! I have been researching weight loss surgery for quite a few years. Yes, I have a problem when it comes to gathering information. Meaning, I LIKE A LOT OF IT. But it can be helpful. So I started years ago researching the band, went to Mexico to a bandsters ball, met a ton of surgeons, and even chose one i liked a lot. Then decided not to get it. YAY, GOOD DECISION.

Years have passed, and I've put on MORE weight, and have come back around, to find the Sleeve is the 'latest thing' (kinda as popular as the band WAS), so I research that and this thing called the MGB. As well as the DS. I like all three, but after all these years, have come closer to the MGB as my operation of choice, of the three. Trust me, I like to research. Look in the "gastric balloon" forum. i also like to research NON INVASIVE, NON SURGICAL ways to lose weight. There i listed many ways to lose weight that are either in trials or available abroad. And gastric balloon is really not one I'm interested in, Alex just happened to make that the title of the forum. aargh.

There are some amazing NON invasive ways to lose weight, but most of them are in trials. So my question to myself.. now.. do i WAIT until these amazing new NON invasive, NON CUTTING means of losing weight come to fruition in 3 - 5 years time, or GO NOW.

After researching my brains out... i am waiting a little bit to decide. BUT if I had to make a decision NOW, I would definitely take the MGB hands down. AND in mexico or India. If you can afford to go stateside, DO IT. but I can't.

I am not going to go into my methods of research, but just know I think it is worth the years i have put into it to KNOW what is right for me. And that would be the MGB.

I am back here after a few months of waiting again, and focusing on other things, and disgusted with my weight. I may not be able to wait for the non invasive, non cutting type of devices to come to the general public. SOOOO mgb may be my decision very soon.

Thanks for all your comments here in MGB. Its been the devil to find MGB forums, but there are a few on FB, and I have encouraged many FBers to come over here to educate and help us newbies.

Keep up the talk, my friends. LET's talk about MGB!!!!

love and blessings,

tristan adair

utah girl

You are not alone in researching and then waiting and now wondering if you can wait any longer for what you want. I have been waiting for the gastric plication type surgery to be endolumenal. Well now POSE is out there but I can't afford it in the US.. I have been searching for a surgeon in Mexico who does the procedure with no luck so far. Do I go to Spain or some other European nation, wait longer to get it in Mexico or go for the laproscopic plication? Though we are looking at different surgeries we share the same frustration and I am sure there are others who will tell us they share it too. Interesting post and thank you for starting this thread.Now I will go and research MGB some more.

HI, I have had the gastric Band, Sleeve and now the Omega Loop is scheduled for June 29 2015. I was 165KG, got down as low as about 90 and currently about 104. Hopefully after the Omega Loop I can settle at around 88-90Kg, if so I will be very happy indeed.

How did it go Nigel? Looks like you've been through a lot! tell us about your operation.

Hey Nigel-- i'm curious to hear too.. i'm considering a sleeve to MGB

Hi, sorry for the delay, just been busy with a new job....

Had Surgery 4PM Monday 29 June Norwest Private Hospital Sydney (Dr Roy and Tony Brancatisano)

Finished surgery about 3 hrs later.

Stayed in Hospital Mon-Wed Night, discharged 6pm Thursday.

After day 1 was able to walk around the ward, had fluids via a drip and self maintained pain control Tuesday - Wednesday am, very little pain, was very happy with the recovery.

Was able to have clear fluids on Thursday, once home has liquid Protein shakes for a few days, then soft mushy food.

After two weeks weight has dropped from 105Kg to 98Kg. It's too early to confirm 100%, but it does seem like my appetite has finally diminished. When I had the Omega Loop they re-shape my sleeve, and the Doc said it had not enlarged much at all, but re-shaped it a tad anyhow.

Wounds were minimal, Doc used the old scars from prior band and Sleeve, and they healed 100% within 10 days, bandages came off by themselves after 5-7 days.

This afternoon I see the doctor for the first two weekly check up.

I'll try and update more regularly :)

please do @@nigel are you experienceing any side effects? (gas, bathroom issues, bloating, bad breath, "dumping syndrome"?)

Hi, Its now 3 weeks since the operation, I am down from 105Kg to ~98Kg, not doing any exercise yet except 45 minutes a day walking to the train station and back. Feeling good, no issues at all except maybe a little tired. No wound pain or anything really, very good fast recovery. Let me know if anyone has any specific questions, I am really keen to see if I can get below 90Kg by Xmas....

Edited by nigel

Had the pose procedure start weight Aug 80.3. 29th sept date of surgery 77.6. Today 72. It's not a miracle like any other procedure but after the first week of oesophagus pain I was happy but mindful of instructions. Had appointment with dietician and feel a bit down as was put onto lab Protein diet. Can't continue with that. Not only expensive but boring. I'll probably use it up combining it with protein and veg. Have another appointment 19th November and will air my feelings for the limited meals I'm on. I've spent so much on the pose I have to say it's more the cost of the procedure that's been keeping me on track than actual restriction

Hi, now 4.5 months since the surgery. 95KG. I had tremendous pain on Thursday 2am and next day was rushed to the emergency ward. Had 2 Kidney stones 4mm and 6mm, never had them before. I googled kidney stones and Omega loop. It seems common after 6 months post surgery to get Kidney Stones. I am pretty sure I was not warned about this, and they are extremely painful. A stent was inserted on Thursday night, in 2 weeks a camera and laser are inserted into me to blast them away. Ouch!!!! I will ask the surgeon if there is likelihood these will re-occur.

Edited by nigel

Hello!

I had MGB Sepember 24, 2015. My start weight was 277. Today's weight 209. Getting close to onederland!

I had my surgery in Mexico and I did self pay. I do not "dump", but do get a bit of ill feeling if I eat too much sugar or carbs. I do not do this often at all, just sharing my experience. I am loving my new life and my only regret is that I did not do this years ago!

I am also looking into the MGB. Everyone seems to want the sleeve. I wonder why this is.. I was told by my primary Dr. that Gastric Bypass would be my best option with the best results. I like the sound of MGB because it's a simpler less evasive procedure.

Hello everyone, I am new here, Im Suzie, 36, single parent, from Adelaide Australia. I will be having my Single anastomosis bypass (MGB) done on the 30th of March 2016, I am currently going through the pre op Optifast stage to ready myself for the operation.

My surgeon is the wonderful and most knowledgeable Doctor Michael France who operates out of the Ashford Private Hospital here in Adelaide, South Australia.

My stats are:

SW 185.4kg May 2015

CW 163.5kg Feb 2016

Total loss to date 21.9kg.....

Will try to update again in 4 weeks time before i head in for the big day. :)

Hello everyone, I am new here, Im Suzie, 36, single parent, from Adelaide Australia. I will be having my Single anastomosis bypass (MGB) done on the 30th of March 2016, I am currently going through the pre op Optifast stage to ready myself for the operation.

My surgeon is the wonderful and most knowledgeable Doctor Michael France who operates out of the Ashford Private Hospital here in Adelaide, South Australia.

My stats are:

SW 185.4kg May 2015

CW 163.5kg Feb 2016

Total loss to date 21.9kg.....

Will try to update again in 4 weeks time before i head in for the big day. :)

Im am also from adelaide. I am inthe process of deciding between the mgb and the sleeve.

I am struggling to decide which is right for me, though my surgeon is suggesting the sleeve as the first step with a revision if weight loss is not sufficent, but he believes it will be