Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Artificial sugar vs real sugar

Hello, I need some help in figuring this out. ..Which is better for a sleeved person artificial sugars or real sugar? I'm noticing alot of items that are used are sugar free such as sugar free Torani, yogurts, and crystal light. As far as I've been educated by doctors (not gastric drs) our body doesn't break down that sugar properly. I'm just really concerned and scared because a few weeks ago I was loading up on sugar free items, until the dr told me I was a pre diabetic. Once the health educator told me artificial sugars are bad...I stopped. Please help and let me know the reasons it's allowed for us! I'm scheduled for my sleeve March 23rd so I want to be really informed. Thanks!

For me, (and I'm diabetes in remission and over a year post-sleeve,) too much artificial sugar gives me GI problems. But in general, I still keep an eye on my glucose, so I try not to load up on starches and whatnot.

I couldn't tolerate artificial sweeteners postop so i went with regular sugar (real fruit juices, regular Vitamin Water, Lifewater, etc.) the Protein shakes were a pain because they all had artificial sweeteners. I had to find ones sweetened with Stevia or make my own with unflavored powder. I use regular Torani syrups to flavor my shakes and yogurt, not SF and I don't eat pudding/Popsicles/etc that have sugar or sugar substitutes anyways. Even with regular sugar, I still lost over 100% of my excess weight and have kept it off

As for the diabetic thing, as far as I know, artificial sweeteners will still spike your blood sugar just like real sugar. Erythritol is the only exception to this.

Afternoon....

What a great topic. I have actually written up a report on Sugar versus Artificial Sugars. It is a proven fact that artificial sweetners cause Cancer.

I also performed a study where I had diabetic eat sugar-free products and then take their blood sugars two hours later and those results proved that their levels were "way too high". Then I would have them, on another day, eat regular sugar and take their levels. Those levels were within normal ranges.

You really have to watch what you eat, drink, use for bathroom products, because most items have artificial sweetners in them. Even the Stevia, unless you are eating the leaf directly, it is a process sugar.

I have had alot of my diabetic, surgery, and regular friends stop taking artificial sweetners and the feel so much better. Once I have also told them that it is a proven fact that it causes Cancer, they stop.

As long as you listen to your dietician and eat a product that has only 8 or less grams of sugar, you should be fine. I had my surgery in November and I continue to loose weight and I do not eat anything that states "Sugar-Free".

Annamarie

Tauruslady5, are you a physician? researcher? Are you in the U.S.? I don't know why but your post sent up some red flags. Are you actually experimenting on people? This sounds irresponsible at the very least. I hope there is more to the story than your post reads to me.

I question the cause cancer statement. Nitrates also get called out for causing cancer. Turns out they can if you eat them in huge quantities or if you subject them to high heat then eat them but in the amounts one finds in their food they are not a problem.

Hell, sunlight causes cancer.... Should we all live in caves?!

My nutritionist told me to only use Trivia - not Splenda or Equal or Sweet n Low

Truvia

Hello, I need some help in figuring this out. ..Which is better for a sleeved person artificial sugars or real sugar? I'm noticing alot of items that are used are sugar free such as sugar free Torani, yogurts, and crystal light. As far as I've been educated by doctors (not gastric drs) our body doesn't break down that sugar properly. I'm just really concerned and scared because a few weeks ago I was loading up on sugar free items, until the dr told me I was a pre diabetic. Once the health educator told me artificial sugars are bad...I stopped. Please help and let me know the reasons it's allowed for us! I'm scheduled for my sleeve March 23rd so I want to be really informed. Thanks!

It depends on the person. I don't do any artificial sugars. I am allergic to them and stevia. I use Isopure Naked whey as my Protein powder. I use FAGE 0% Greek plain and add my own fruit. I do occasionally use real sugar, but my main sweetener of choice is raw honey. However I do not use it often. I might have honey 2 or 3 times a month.

I cannot speak for anyone but myself. Processed foods and artificial sugars trigger my allergies and make me severely ill. You can eat a bariatric diet and not eat those products but it will be challenging. It is working for me. I have shown a loss everytime I go to the doctor.

My nutritionist told me to only use Trivia - not Splenda or Equal or Sweet n Low

Truvia

Truvia is no better than any other artificial sweetener. It's not 100% stevia. It's processed to make it white and mixed with erythritol and "natural flavors".

Edited by BLERDgirl

Tauruslady5, are you a physician? researcher? Are you in the U.S.? I don't know why but your post sent up some red flags. Are you actually experimenting on people? This sounds irresponsible at the very least. I hope there is more to the story than your post reads to me.

I have done plenty of research on this since 2006. Even my surgeon is doing a research on this very topic. He and I agree 100% of the causes of artificial sweeteners. He was impressed of how much I had already known about the product.

As for those I did my research paper on, those people were willing to participate, but did also talk with their personal physician before they accepted. No, I am not a physician or researcher, but some think I should be :D

And yes, I am from the states. I had my surgery in Connecticut and listen and learn from my surgeon.

Annamarie :)

There are some very rigorous protocols for using human test subjects in the US. I applaud your curiosity but if you aren't a trained researcher I would definitely caution you against using people for medical research. I definitely recommend you learn about guidelines for using human test subjects.

I'm glad you posted this. I'm new to the sleeve and very leery to go back to artificial sweeteners.

Perfect! Im scared of eating real sugar and not being able to loose all I can really loose.

I couldn't tolerate artificial sweeteners postop so i went with regular sugar (real fruit juices, regular Vitamin Water, Lifewater, etc.) the Protein Shakes were a pain because they all had artificial sweeteners. I had to find ones sweetened with Stevia or make my own with unflavored powder. I use regular Torani syrups to flavor my shakes and yogurt, not SF and I don't eat pudding/Popsicles/etc that have sugar or sugar substitutes anyways. Even with regular sugar, I still lost over 100% of my excess weight and have kept it off

As for the diabetic thing, as far as I know, artificial sweeteners will still spike your blood sugar just like real sugar. Erythritol is the only exception to this.