Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New- Just had surgery

I stumbled upon this forum(app) and I'm hoping to have support through my journey! I just had surgery 2/16/2015... So far so good! If you have any advice please feel free to lay it on me! I'm a 25 yr old mother of 3 under 7yrs... I'm excited to get my weight loss started! What are the very important things I need to know? Thanks in advance!

Hi @@kholliday2010, welcome to the group! Can you tell me what type of surgery you had?

Without knowing I can tell you to walk, walk, walk and to follow your doctor's orders to a T !

I'm happy to help and looking forward to getting to know you.

Great, that's what I had as well. The rules right now for you are whatever your doctor tells you. I'm sure you're still on liquids right now and don't think that you can cheat on that. Are you back at work now? Are you feeling ok?

Had my first night of work tonight doing in home care for seniors and it went well! I'm doing fine just still sore! I have a pretty good pain tolerance but I'm still pretty sore... I get two add more options to my diet tomorrow

What will you be adding to your diet?

Hi there and congratulations! I love my band and feel this was one of the best decisions of my life. Being out of food jail is amazing. Glad you stumbled on the forum; you will get a lot of support here. The links below in my signature helped me understand how the band works and how to work the band. I was not hungry after surgery but my hunger returned in time for my first fill. We are all different -- I required several fills to reach the green zone. My appetite is dimmed so I can make good choices. I do not diet -- that didn't work for me but the band works beautifully. My advice is to follow your plan and keep all your appointments. I gave myself a year, the year of me. Feeling great! You will, too.

Congrats on your surgery! Your Littles are going to keep you on your toes! :-) it'll be so great to enjoy your success both for yourself but also for them as they grow up with a healthy mom. (my youngest is 7)

The only other advice I'll give is follow those instructions, but don't forget about grace. Self-care is a must, esp considering that you have children and actually car for seniors as your profession. I bet it is so easy to forget about yourself when you are constantly giving to others.

Use this early time to get used to the things you know you'll need to do long term - chewing slowly, putting down the fork between bites, eating small bites. I sort of feel like I still don't do all of those things and I hope they don't impede my own weight loss.

Good luck!

Congratulations !! A day at a time. Celebrate every victory !!!!

Congratulations! My biggest advice to someone newly banded would be listen to the band and your docs advice. I've been very successful with my band but it's jus a tool . I used my fitness pal and tracked every single calorie. I work out as much can. My entire life is different. For my recent bday I got running catches an iPod to run an exercise mat...all my friends know thus is the new me and my new way of life. You will be very happy with your decision to get banded if you slow it to help you.

@@kholliday2010 congrats! I just had my band on 2/26/15! I am still dealing with the terrible gas pains but I"m so excited about our new journey. I have been hungry but I am fighting through it each day and following the liquid diet. I do not have a fill yet. I believe my physician will fill it in two weeks post op. i wish you continued success. I love this support forum. :)

My surgery date is set for Monday March 2nd and I'm sooo nervous!! What am I to expect with the LapBand ??

How did it go? Hope you're feeling well. Post when you can!

Everything went well. I was really sore but it just depends on the person. I had a lot of chest pain due to the air the put in, and some shoulder pain. Lots of gas afterwards as well. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

@@kholliday2010 how are you two doing?