Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body Lift (Tummy Tuck, Thigh/Butt Lift) + Arm Lift - February 27, 2015!

Hey all,

Excited to post in this section of the forum for the first time! I thought it would be nice to share my ever-evolving journey with you all :)

To make a long story short:

My name is Mark - I am a few months shy of 23 years old and live in New York City.

I am a proud Bandster, having had lap band surgery with Dr. George Fielding of NYU Langone Medical Center on May 6, 2013.

My highest weight ever was 357 lbs. As of February 21, 2015, I am 201 lbs, giving a total loss of 156 lbs! I have attached some pictures that are pretty recent.

I am overwhelmed with joy to say that my next chapter in getting to my body goal is super near - I will be undergoing a body lift (tummy tuck + muscle repair, thigh and butt lift) as well an arm lift this coming Friday, February 27th at Hackensack University Medical Center in New Jersey.

My plastic surgeon is Dr. Joseph F. Capella who specializes in bariatric patients and was recommended to me by fellow member Cheryl, also known as My Bariatric Life! I am eternally grateful to her for this.

I am excited to document this part of my journey with you all and become more active on this forum again! I'm super nervous for the recovery but have zero doubts that it is what I need for myself.

Thanks for listening :) please feel free to add me here, Twitter and/or Instagram.

- Mark

post-135282-0-91994100-1424581823_thumb.jpg

post-135282-0-15174900-1424581831_thumb.jpg

Congrats wish I could loose it that fast lol I had mine done March 19th 2013. Though I haven't been able to work out much due to injury in the past. Though I know I will need to get arms legs and tummy tighten.

Congrats on your incredible loss! I'll be watching this thread with great interest as I wonder how all that works, and know that I too will eventually need some these.

You've already taught me something... I didn't realize these could all be done in ONE day. I always figured each was its own surgical day and separate recovery periods. Interesting, but slightly frightening to learn they can do it all in one swoop.

Best of luck. Anxious to hear more.

Congratulations!!!! Enjoy your new life!

I also meant to ask how long recovery for these surgeries is. Feel free to update us on a regular basis on how the recovery goes. It would be nice to know how long to take off work, when you start looking normal enough to go out in public, or before you can move well enough to get around.

Thank you for the acknowledgement, Mark. That was very thoughtful and kind. I am so happy for you and proud that you had the courage to take control of your health, your happiness, and your life at such a young age! You have a long and wonderful life ahead of you. Always remember to live it fully and with no regrets!

I also am glad that you have the support of a loving family and friends in your journey. That truly makes a vital difference. One can never have or give too much love.

I followed you on Twitter and checked out your Instagram pix. The one pic you have of your full body already looks like you had plastic surgery! You look fabulous. When you are all done you'll have to do a photo shoot to Celebrate the new you! You'll be more fabulous than ever.

With love upon you!

Cheryl

BTW say hello to home for me. I miss it. Funny how you realize how much you love something (or someone for that matter) when you let it go.

Hi Mark. So nice to see that you've done well. I remember when you first got banded and struggled with doubt and worry about whether or not you could be successful. Well, it's obvious that you did what you had to. I bet your mom is so very proud of you. I'm proud of you. It's not easy to be disciplined...especially as a young person. Heck, lots of folks aren't as disciplined as you and have lot's more years and experience that you. But you showed everyone, didn't you. Dr. Fielding is probably thrilled. Maybe I'll get to see you one of these days at our support group or even in the office. Good luck with the plastic surgery.

Edited by gowalking

Mark, I'm so happy that you've shared your story with us. I had my surgery in Nov. and have just gotten to a 60 lb. loss. I can't believe how great I feel and how happy I am that I made this decision. I admire you so much for having made such a huge decision at such a young age. Now you have your entire life ahead of you to live and enjoy to the fullest. Be proud of everything you've accomplished.

Having all the surgery is a big decision too. Even at my age (62) I've already made up my mind that when the time comes I'll be eager to have whatever surgery I need to make my new body the one I've missed and grieved for over the last 20 yrs. I look back over these last few months, and I wish I had been able to consider having WLS many years ago. I look forward to the day when I can once again do all the things I haven't been able to do for so many years.

I'm curious about the recovery time too. I'm going to follow this discussion so that I can get "educated" on what to expect down the line.

Congrats on your incredible success, and be sure to keep up posted.

Congrats wish I could loose it that fast lol I had mine done March 19th 2013. Though I haven't been able to work out much due to injury in the past. Though I know I will need to get arms legs and tummy tighten.

Thank you!! To be honest, I only started intentional exercise this year (2015) but I think it's impossible to everyone to have the same method for ideal results. You will get there!

Congrats on your incredible loss! I'll be watching this thread with great interest as I wonder how all that works, and know that I too will eventually need some these.

You've already taught me something... I didn't realize these could all be done in ONE day. I always figured each was its own surgical day and separate recovery periods. Interesting, but slightly frightening to learn they can do it all in one swoop.

Best of luck. Anxious to hear more.

Thank you!! I will do my best to update as often as possible. Instagram is my go-to for pictures but I know that actual words detailing my experience could be beneficial :) I'm anxious too! Not for the same reason though ;)

I also meant to ask how long recovery for these surgeries is. Feel free to update us on a regular basis on how the recovery goes. It would be nice to know how long to take off work, when you start looking normal enough to go out in public, or before you can move well enough to get around.

Thanks!! I have been told around 2-3 weeks for feeling "normal" and 4-6 weeks for overall. I am currently unemployed for personal reasons (including anxiety) but I definitely should be able to answer the other questions.

Thank you for the acknowledgement, Mark. That was very thoughtful and kind. I am so happy for you and proud that you had the courage to take control of your health, your happiness, and your life at such a young age! You have a long and wonderful life ahead of you. Always remember to live it fully and with no regrets!

I also am glad that you have the support of a loving family and friends in your journey. That truly makes a vital difference. One can never have or give too much love.

I followed you on Twitter and checked out your Instagram pix. The one pic you have of your full body already looks like you had plastic surgery! You look fabulous. When you are all done you'll have to do a photo shoot to Celebrate the new you! You'll be more fabulous than ever.

With love upon you!

Cheryl

Cheryl, you are an angel. I am so thankful that you've helped me make this process so much easier than it could've been! I will say 'hello' for you and take everything in :D

Hi Mark. So nice to see that you've done well. I remember when you first got banded and struggled with doubt and worry about whether or not you could be successful. Well, it's obvious that you did what you had to. I bet your mom is so very proud of you. I'm proud of you. It's not easy to be disciplined...especially as a young person. Heck, lots of folks aren't as disciplined as you and have lot's more years and experience that you. But you showed everyone, didn't you. Dr. Fielding is probably thrilled. Maybe I'll get to see you one of these days at our support group or even in the office. Good luck with the plastic surgery.

Hi Liz! Glad to see you saw my post :) yes, I cannot believe how far I've come. I don't let myself believe it. Fielding is very proud and was the first person to really give me the go-ahead - he even convinced my mom! She is very nervous for Friday but will be right with me the whole time. Thank you so much again for everything :)

Mark, I'm so happy that you've shared your story with us. I had my surgery in Nov. and have just gotten to a 60 lb. loss. I can't believe how great I feel and how happy I am that I made this decision. I admire you so much for having made such a huge decision at such a young age. Now you have your entire life ahead of you to live and enjoy to the fullest. Be proud of everything you've accomplished.

Having all the surgery is a big decision too. Even at my age (62) I've already made up my mind that when the time comes I'll be eager to have whatever surgery I need to make my new body the one I've missed and grieved for over the last 20 yrs. I look back over these last few months, and I wish I had been able to consider having WLS many years ago. I look forward to the day when I can once again do all the things I haven't been able to do for so many years.

I'm curious about the recovery time too. I'm going to follow this discussion so that I can get "educated" on what to expect down the line.

Congrats on your incredible success, and be sure to keep up posted.

Thank you for reading my story and for the well-wishes! I am honored that you have gained something from it. Having WLS and losing almost 160 lbs have set me up for even bigger decisions in ways that I would've never been able to have the confidence to make. I will gladly be a guinea pig for you all who want to see what it's like, haha!

Tomorrow is so soon! I hope to update you all as soon as I can.

Mark has had a successful surgery, everyone. He should be going home today!

That's great to hear. Speedy recovery.

Came home last night! Truthfully, day #2 (Saturday) was horrific pain-wise, and I was crying in agony at several points. I had to spend a second night in the hospital as I could not urinate without the catheter.

However, since then I am improving more and more every hour! I am now able to sit up and walk a bit as well as eat/drink normally. I have switched from Percuset to Tylenol/Codeine and am excited to see myself feeling better in the next few days.

Thanks all for reading!