Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flavored Water issues...

Just wondering if anyone has any issues with drinking flavored water and their band, reflux, etc. It's a shot in the dark, but the first 10 months after having my lapband, losing almost all my weight of 75 lbs, doing and feeling well. Hurricane Sandy hit our home, we moved to an apartment for almost a year and my total routine was upset. I started having problems with my band. Over the passed 2 years, I've had fills removed, refilled and removed again. Either way, I could go for weeks, even months doing ok and then out of no where, I couldn't keep food down, would have to start to throw it up. The only food I could eat was junk food. Recently, I've been having very bad indestion, heartburn although I take dexilant daily. a year ago in March, I had a barium swallow which showed the band in place with no problems. A few weeks ago, again, out of no where, I couldn't keep my food down, it got stuck and again, I had to dump the food out. Made an appt with my Dr who took out all the Fluid out of the band and planned on another barium swallow a week later. Even without any fluid, I had an awful time with eating and holding things down. I had the barium swallow showing the band is totally in place, as well as no hiatal hernia seen. This time around, the Dr noticed the liquid sitting in the esophagus for a little bit and then slowly drained down into my stomach. He didn't think much of it, although he suggested if it continued, I could have the band taken out or try the sleeve. Unfortunately, we've changed insurance companies since having the band and my employer doesn't cover bariatric surgery.

Now, I've been trying to figure out what I've been doing or not doing that has effected this issue over time. I just realized that we've been drinking a fruit flavored enhanced bottled Water the past few years. There's not much fruit in it but it does have some flavor. I've noticed when I drink this as opposed to drinking spring water, I do have a problem after swallowing the flavored water as it seems to sit in my esophagus before it takes time draining. SO, after all this, I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems after drinking fruit flavored water, and keeping food down.

Ive never had ANY problems with my band so im no help at all, but maybe you might want to try a different type of flavored water ? I do very well with Propel and Vitamin Water zero, dont like anything strong tasting like Gatorade, etc. Hope you find something that works for you soon ! Im sorry you had to go through Hurricane Sandy, hope things are going a little better for you. Sending hugs !!

I did try! But on my iPad, this post is unreadable! Fancy fonts just don't work well on tablets!

is the flavored water carbonated? I know the ones I have seen are like seltzer or carbonated. also most of those have some artificial sweetners in them. Some people are sensitive to that . I hope you resolve the problem it's frustrating I am sure.

When I am nervous the band acts up. You have had a lot of changed in your life

Been banded over 4 years....and I am addicted to flavored waters...it's never been an issue....

Reflux is a common issue with the band, and not sure the reason why. I feel it varies from person to person.

I had issues, and discovered for myself what the root causes were.....and it was not flavored Water...I will also drink carbonated Water such as Pellegrino, or seltzers (flavored) also...but with caution and experience how to do it.

Thank you all for your input here. I've decided to do a process of elimination by eliminating the flavored Water to see if per chance it's aggravating my esophagus and letting it calm down for now. I'll give it some time and see if there is any change. If not, I think it's time to say good-bye to the band.