Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients ?

Hello all! I am seriously thinking about doing the gastric sleeve surgery. I am 27 years old, 5'1, 224. To matters worse, I have rheumatoid arthritis since I was 2 years old. I was hoping someone could shed some light on this procedure, what they like, what they didnt like. Did they regret anything? and so on. Was there a point where you had to stop any medications. And how has the weight loss affected your arthritis ? I am tired of being obese, I am tired of huffing just because I walked a few feet, and I'm tired of not having energy like I used to.

Thanks.

I never had to stop my medications pre-op. I resumed my meds when I got home the next day. I don't have RA but I do suffer from osteoarthritis. I've noticed my hips and knees don't hurt as often since I've lost weight. I had the gastric sleeve, I'm 14 weeks post op, have lost 49+ pounds and I feel great. The first 10 weeks were challenging with reflux, dehydration and vomiting. But that ended about 3 weeks ago and I now FEEL FANTASTIC. My medication now consist of 2 OTC Multivitamins, 2 OTC sub-lingual B12 pills and 1 OTC Biotin Vitamin plus my two omeprazole prescribed by my surgeon for post-op reflux. I'm off my cholesterol and high blood pressure medications and I turned in my bipap machine last month. LIFE IS GOOD!

Hello….I have RA and I'm 2 weeks prep. I stopped my meds 2 weeks ago so it'll be 4 weeks before surgery that I won't have taken my meds. The first couple of days was rough. I could only take tylenol. Since I've started my pre-op diet a couple of days ago it really hasn't been that bad…just stiffness in my hands when I wake up in the morning. I can't start back on my meds until 2 weeks after the surgery. My surgery is scheduled for March 4. I don't regret my decision at all. I'm hoping that once I lose the weight my RA and fibromyalgia will improve. 4 weeks post op I'll let you know how things are going. good luck!

@@slothritis I am 9 weeks post op and I do have RA. My rheumatologist allowed me to stop all my RA medications 2 weeks pre op, and resume them 2 weeks post op. She also told me that if I were to experience any flares during the time that I was off my meds, that I could come into the office and there is a long lasting injection that she could give me that would calm the flares and get me through until I could resume my meds.

As for the benefits of this surgery to my RA, I can't say anything bad about it. I have lost a total of 67 pounds since I started my weight loss journey, and my joints are so much happier. Especially my knees and feet. Not carrying around so much weight, and relieving pressure on my joints, has been a blessing in itself. There are issues that I'm still struggling with in regard to the sleeve surgery, (difficulty getting required Protein and liquids, and horrible stomach spasms), but this surgery has been a true blessing for my RA, and I would do it again without a second thought.

Hello….I have RA and I'm 2 weeks prep. I stopped my meds 2 weeks ago so it'll be 4 weeks before surgery that I won't have taken my meds. The first couple of days was rough. I could only take tylenol. Since I've started my pre-op diet a couple of days ago it really hasn't been that bad…just stiffness in my hands when I wake up in the morning. I can't start back on my meds until 2 weeks after the surgery. My surgery is scheduled for March 4. I don't regret my decision at all. I'm hoping that once I lose the weight my RA and fibromyalgia will improve. 4 weeks post op I'll let you know how things are going. good luck!

Hello, I would like to ask how are you doing? I'm in the process to get sleeved and also have fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis. I'm just wondering how the sleeve experience has been for you have the other conditions. Thanks!

Just to inform everyone, I still did not do the surgery yet, but I may do it march 9th. Can you swallow pills the day after surgery?

I never had to stop my medications pre-op. I resumed my meds when I got home the next day. I don't have RA but I do suffer from osteoarthritis. I've noticed my hips and knees don't hurt as often since I've lost weight. I had the gastric sleeve, I'm 14 weeks post op, have lost 49+ pounds and I feel great. The first 10 weeks were challenging with reflux, dehydration and vomiting. But that ended about 3 weeks ago and I now FEEL FANTASTIC. My medication now consist of 2 OTC Multivitamins, 2 OTC sub-lingual B12 pills and 1 OTC Biotin Vitamin plus my two omeprazole prescribed by my surgeon for post-op reflux. I'm off my cholesterol and high blood pressure medications and I turned in my bipap machine last month. LIFE IS GOOD!

Were you able to swallow pills the next day after surgery?

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal