Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have discomfort between rib cage?

I'm 4 weeks post op and I been having a discomfort smack in the middle (sternum area) not sure if it's gas or what exactly. When I rub it it seems to subside and feel better. I was just concerned with hernias that I've heard and read about. Appreciate any feed back.

I definitely have this problem if I eat too fast, don't chew my food enough or take a pill (calcium) that is a little to big. Also if I gulp Water and too much air gets in there with it.

I am starting to think it is air cause I have a hard time with not gulping... Even my sips are a gulp lol. I am trying to be more conscience and seeing if it helps cause it sometimes lasts for many hours and just uncomfortable. Thanks for replying

What stage of diet are you on now? Gulping is a hard habit to break, I'm 5 years out of WLS (6 months post op from my revision) and I still sometimes do it and pay the price lol. If you're on a more solid food diet I'd make sure to chew a little more, you might be getting some stuck.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for your comment. I am 5 weeks in and I began to do exactly what you mentioned. I am trying to be more aware of my drinking (instead of gulping) and I am chewing a little better and making sure it is very fine before I swallow. I have noticed that it has gotten much better. It is strange how your body makes you learn to change your old eating habits. Is there other things I should know along this path? lol 5 years out and it looks like you are doing well.

Thanks again -Bobby

The best advice is everything you used to do eating habit wise, never do again lol. Pushing your fluids and keeping up with your Protein intake are two very important things (along with taking your vitamins).

And thank you, its been a long journey for me but it was worth it. If you have any other questions feel free to send me a message :) (Love that your a Steeler fan too! Representing Pittsburgh as well!!)

Thanks for your comment. I am 5 weeks in and I began to do exactly what you mentioned. I am trying to be more aware of my drinking (instead of gulping) and I am chewing a little better and making sure it is very fine before I swallow. I have noticed that it has gotten much better. It is strange how your body makes you learn to change your old eating habits. Is there other things I should know along this path? lol 5 years out and it looks like you are doing well.

Thanks again -Bobby

Thanks again, and yes I am a Steeler, Pirate and Pens fan. I have lived here all my life. I see your from Pittsburgh area too. I live about 25 min. north of Pittsburgh.

I had actually been 410 lbs about 6 years ago or so and I lost 150 lbs in 8 months on my own. Eating high Protein and low carbs and working out and kept it off for a few years hovering between 260 and 290. If I went over 300 I would have to bust my butt to get it back off. a couple years ago I went up to 319 and then took it off when I got married and went back to 260 in July 2013.... but, I got married and got comfortable and began to eat and drink whatever I wanted and took things for granted and before I knew it. BAM up to 361 lbs. So, it was time to get help controlling this up and down nonsense.

It's awesome that you are so willing to help others.

Thanks again.