Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking out! (Scared of Surgery)

For months I have been President of the Cool club when it came to getting my sleeve. Now 6 days before surgery the freak out is here. The thoughts of death and complications have me worried. I try to assure myself that I will be ok. I am doing my best to stay positive. I'm 26 with a 40BMI, I hope my age and weight is a positive for the healing process (mostly age). How is everyone coping with the scary part of surgery? Tips and advice would be highly appreciated.

Hello Slimsoon 1988,

My surgery date is on the 27th and I believe every sleeve patient has had those same thoughts just prior to surgery. The key is to focus on positive thoughts and a speedy recovery. Don't let negative thoughts consume you!!

Cathy B.

I don't know of anybody who is not afraid before surgery. Don't let last minute jitters get you down!

Its a everyones thing been scared, its your life be positive. All the best and good luck!!!

I felt that way too, and more so about a week before my date. I think it all just starts to get real, after many months of planning. Good luck, I am sure you will do great!!

I definitely understand. I, too, have been cool and rational throughout planning but now that it IS going to happen, I feel anxious and afraid. My mind is my worst enemy when I am afraid. I am grieving too in anticipation of giving up the foods I depend on to keep me comfortable emotionally. I am asking for courage and calmness as I face this major decision which will impact me forever. Best of luck to you. I am right there with you. Together we can manage our fears.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches