Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling By Plane Post-Surgery

I talked to my surgeon's office today and they said that, for every flight for the rest of my life, I have to go on a full liquid diet on the day of the flight until 2 hours after I land. I have to get a note from the doctor so I can bring Protein Shakes on the flight and everything. Does anyone have any insight on this? I wasn't given any info on this before the surgery (I'm 3 weeks post-op.)

Never heard of it myself, not in all the reading I've done. Also, I'm flying out five weeks post op and my surgeon hasn't mentioned restrictions. He and I are friends and see each other several times a week, and we've discussed traveling several times. The only thing he's said is that it's good I'm going that week as the weight lifting restrictions would be lifted.

I never heard of anything like this. And why would you need to bring a note to take Protein Shakes on the plane? Just pack the powder in your carry on and buy Water or milk to mix it with in the airport. That's what I did when I flew to/from San Diego to get sleeved in Mexico.

Never heard of this. I have flown post op with no problems. I would clarify and get a second medical opinion if necessary.

That might be one of the craziest things I've ever heard! ???? I've taken 3 round trip flights in the 14 months since surgery with no such nonsense. I ate real, solid food before, during and after each flight.

Edited by Kindle

I flew, with my surgeon's blessing, 2 weeks after surgery (short flight to see my family). He had no problem with me flying and simply reminded me to follow my weight restrictions. I could see there being issues if you were flying in something unpressurized, but that's not most people. Probably wouldn't get on a plane right after eating / with a full stomach, but that's more just because you and your stomach are still getting to know one another again.

It's weird things like this that scare me about some surgeons. This is total nonsense, unless there is something else about you medically that would require such a thing -- but then again that would have most likely been a condition prior to your VSG surgery, not something caused BY the VSG surgery.

I had a flight just 3 weeks post-op, and have taken many more since then. I travel for work a LOT and not once has anyone, let alone any of my doctors, ever mentioned that my diet would need to change on the day of a flight.

I'd definitely get a second opinion on that -- and/or at the very least ask your doc to explain why on Earth he said this in the first place.

@@greatestnameever - My son is three years out and flies at least 6 times a year. His surgeon is the same as mine & hasn't said a thing! Sounds kinda funny to me!

I am current two weeks post surgery and I am starting a heavy travel schedule for work in another two weeks. My surgeon has no issues with it - he just said to wear compression socks and get up and walk around every once in a while.

I flew from San Diego to Toronto (on a red eye!) 2 days post op. Many people get sleeved in Mexico and have 5-6 hour long flights ahead of them shortly after surgery. I have certainly not heard anything like this before, and unless you have some other medical issues, flying with sleeve should not be any problem.

I flew from San Diego to Toronto (on a red eye!) 2 days post op. Many people get sleeved in Mexico and have 5-6 hour long flights ahead of them shortly after surgery. I have certainly not heard anything like this before, and unless you have some other medical issues, flying with sleeve should not be any problem.

I did the same, but of course 2 days post op, we are ALL on liquid diets. So technically adhering to the guidelines the OP's surgeon suggested. :P

OK, clearly I need to get a second opinion! I thought that seemed fishy. ;-) Thanks, guys!

I never heard of this either..

Maybe try not to eat right before I case your uncomfortable idk but I never heard about doing this before a flight..