Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term patients

Hello all. I intend to do the gastric sleeve surgery, but I was hoping you all could share your experiences in the long term. Were there any side effects long term? Were there any regrets? Please share, I'm kinda nervouse.

What do you consider long term? I'm 5 mths out and have zero regrets. I had an easy surgical experience, rebounded quickly post-op and have had no issues eating or drinking.

I'm 4 years out. No regrets. I got to my goal weight. I had back surgery and regained some but am getting back on track.

I'm 2 year and 2 months (as of today!) out of sugery and have no regrets at all! I can't begin to tell you how much BETTER I feel without carrying the extra weight. I can work-out daily and my joints don't hurt anymore. I actually enjoy clothes shopping again! :D I don't use my CPAP anymore unless I feel like it and I sleep great. Overall, it's been the BEST thing I've done for my health. I put some weight back on in the past 3 months due to stress/grief eating after the unexpected death of my only sister, but I'm getting everything back on track now and that's not something I would have done before surgery....probably because I didn't think the results would last! Now I know what it takes! Good luck!

Thank you all for your replies. It makes me more motivated for the surgery. I know it's a better choice for my health.

Would love to hear about your journey. ...I'm 7 months out however it seems hard to find positive long term recipients of this surgery??? What were you lows and highs....have you decided to stick to certain things regardless ...I'm will not eat pasta...white bread or Desserts ...these are my choices and don't want or to lead to a downfall to gaining weight...appreciate your thoughts ????????????????

I'm 4 years out. No regrets. I got to my goal weight. I had back surgery and regained some but am getting back on track.

Would love to hear about your journey. ...I'm 7 months out however it seems hard to find positive long term recipients of this surgery??? What were you lows and highs....have you decided to stick to certain things regardless ...I'm will not eat pasta...white bread or desserts ...these are my choices and don't want or to lead to a downfall to gaining weight...appreciate your thoughts ????????????????

#jayhawkgirl

3 years out... very happy and maintaining at less than half my former size. My life is so much fuller and richer!

I do have more tummy upsets, but nothing that is a big problem. And lets be honest I felt like total crap when I was super morbidly obese, so this is nothing.

What has been anyone's longest "stall" ... I know everyone is different .... sleeved Aug 29-15 .. lost 100 lbs ....find I have been staying steady for 2 months now ... feeling great ...was just wondering if anyone else had a lengthy stall

@@beenee my weight loss slowed to a crawl - maybe 1-2# a month for a bit. It happened about 8 months post op after losing around 125#. It was due to my eating... I had let processed carbs sneak back in, mostly in the form of Protein bars. I had mixed feelings about getting slimmer AND I was doing the same ole workout routine. I had to change all 3 - my food, my emotional state and I upped the intensity of workouts. It worked, my weight losses went back to about 10# a month and I got to goal, losing 150# in 14 months.

I am now 3.5 years post op - my surgery was Dec 2011

@@CowgirlJane ... I have snacked on protean bars as well ..... maybe I need to read the package more .... your right ...it is me ..... I have slowed my exercise routine down....I think it's time to get back to it and re evaluate my situation as well .... thanks....needed that

@@beenee my weight loss slowed to a crawl - maybe 1-2# a month for a bit. It happened about 8 months post op after losing around 125#. It was due to my eating... I had let processed carbs sneak back in, mostly in the form of Protein bars. I had mixed feelings about getting slimmer AND I was doing the same ole workout routine. I had to change all 3 - my food, my emotional state and I upped the intensity of workouts. It worked, my weight losses went back to about 10# a month and I got to goal, losing 150# in 14 months.

Sounds a lot like my journey ..... processed carbs .... which bars were u eating .... I only eat the Quest

Thanks for your experience. .... it's a battle right now ... I'm going into my second year ... not gaining. .. not losing (suppose that's a good thing) but it's good to hear the same Sturges and that I'm not alone

Thanks

Sab

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using the BariatricPal App

@@beenee my weight loss slowed to a crawl - maybe 1-2# a month for a bit. It happened about 8 months post op after losing around 125#. It was due to my eating... I had let processed carbs sneak back in, mostly in the form of Protein Bars. I had mixed feelings about getting slimmer AND I was doing the same ole workout routine. I had to change all 3 - my food, my emotional state and I upped the intensity of workouts. It worked, my weight losses went back to about 10# a month and I got to goal, losing 150# in 14 months.

Sounds a lot like my journey ..... processed carbs .... which bars were u eating .... I only eat the Quest

Thanks for your experience. .... it's a battle right now ... I'm going into my second year ... not gaining. .. not losing (suppose that's a good thing) but it's good to hear the same Sturges and that I'm not alone

Thanks

Sab

Just wanted a follow up .... appreciate

Hello all. I intend to do the gastric sleeve surgery, but I was hoping you all could share your experiences in the long term. Were there any side effects long term? Were there any regrets? Please share, I'm kinda nervouse.

I am 27 months out and the biggest side effect is that I lost over 100% of my excess weight. And my blood pressure is normal. And I no longer take tramadol and ibuprofen every day for my foot, ankle, back and knee pain.

Seriously, the only "negatives" are I can't do carbonation and I get a tummy ache if I drink too much coffee or alcohol or sugar. I do eat all these things, but if I consume large quantities for several days in a row (when I'm on vacation or over holidays) I will get a bit of gastritis. Nothing a few days of abstinence and Rolaids can't fix.

I'm living a totally normal life like a regular thin person. Never one regret for one minute. I feel great and my PCP is thrilled with how healthy I am now, including all my bloodwork.

I had a rare reaction creating a MS like reaction. I couldn't walk for months was in pain pain for a year and loss vision in an eye. This is very rare but I loss weight too quickly they think. I'm one of 51 patients reported to have such reaction. I still have pain and probably will forever but I still would recommend the surgery. I was 260 lbs at 5 2 so I was a heart attack waiting to happen. My goal weight was 140 but I'm 125 now and ten pounds of skin to be removed. Yeah it sucks but I do so much more than I ever had before

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm about 10 months post surgery, about 85 lbs down, been hovering 20 lbs over my target but not really worried about it. Frankly, I don't even think about weight or overeating anymore. The sleeve controls portions, and I just pretty much eat healthy. I think that after you push through the "problem" weight that causes the severe obesity, you kind of settle into a normalcy that becomes your new lifestyle. All the things that came with being severely obese kind of fall away as distant memories. Best thing I ever did.

Hi, I had the sleeve done July 2012 and lost 83 lbs. A year later I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis (like Rheumatoid Arthritis with tendonitis thrown in) and my exercising slowed due to pain. Since then, I have slowly crept up 30 # and maintained, but I want to get back on track and lose what I gained plus another 20 # to reach my goal. I have been on 2 types of chemo for 2 years and am finally starting to feel better and hope to bring my bike to work next week to start riding. I really need to get my food adjusted to lose again and don't know how many calories and grams of protein/fat/carbs I should set as a goal. I'm using My Fitness Pal to track my food. Everything I typically find is for people just having had surgery. I would really appreciate your thoughts for guidelines for 4 years out.