Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel like I can eat A LOT!

So I'm 5 weeks out and having pretty great results so far. I know everything is a learning curve. My concern is that I'm seeing a lot of people saying that they can only eat maybe up to four bites or so maybe a lil more. I'm only noticing this recently that I can eat significantly more then that. I'd even say I can have up to 6oz of food at a time. I guess my question is for people who have been sleeved for quite some time. I know my stomach will never be the size it was but can I possibly have stretched it just a lil bit. I only eat one solid meal a day and still do those shakes and I can effectively drink and def no more sipping is going on, although I can't gulp by any means. I'm just looking for suggestions before I contact my doctor. Thanks!

I haven't had mine yet, Feb 24th is my day but I am interested in the feedback on this one

I was told the cut nerves in the stomach take a good 6 weeks to heal. Are you still on soft food? It is not until you are fully transitioned to solid food that you begin to feel a normal satiety.

I asked my NUT what were the most important success factors. All the"rules" have a reason but she told me that #1 eat to lack of hunger/satiety, do NOT try to find "full" and #2 don't graze. I still take this to heart over 3 years post op. I choose to eat less than I "could" eat.

I will share advice given to me...those early months, eat by the clock and measuring cup. I had been obese for most of my life and had a strong physical drive to eat..freaking hungry! It took me awhile to learn how to eat intuitively, to recognize signals, to eat slower etc. So I measured everything in the early months, followed volume recommendations from NUT.

So I doubt you stretched your stomach but work that sleeve to maximize your results - you can do it!

I'm bet if you ate only chicken or fish you could eat only 3-4 ounces. Max.

What you eat determines to a great degree how much you can eat at one time.

Protein will stay in your stomach much longer and make you much more satiated than ... potato chips, ice cream, crackers, and other slider foods.

Sleeves are unique, and rate of healing is, too. I doubt you've stretched, but I do believe it can be stretched. I have never thrown up, never slimed, and can eat a lot more at 2 years than I wish I could. At six weeks out, I could also eat more than many people report, but it was still very little, as you are describing.

My advice is measure your food. I was supposed to be eating no more than a half cup per meal at that time. Just because we can eat more than that does not mean we should. It's important to eat slow and pay attention to signals you get that you are becoming full - and then stop. That is definitely a hard thing to learn, at least for me, but it is critical.

I would not be too alarmed at the quantity you can eat. There are many of us who are like that and do succeed. I do think a larger capacity is both a good thing and a bad thing. I requires us to work a little harder to control portion sizes, but it also means less/no vomiting and sliming. I can now eat roughly 8-12 ounces, depending on what it is. If I allowed myself high calorie foods or ate to capacity or grazed, I'd weigh 300 pounds again. I saw my surgeon yesterday, and he said that capacity is pretty normal for 2 years post op. So I still have the tool, it still keeps hunger controllable, and the capacity keeps me from going off the rails, but now I'm putting in a great deal of effort to stay on track.

Measure everything you eat!!! Almost 5 months out and still do this!!!! I never over eat. I've never gotten sick or had problems with anything. Try it.

I felt the same way! I'm learning though. I can eat a 4oz fish for a meal and a couple bites of chicken for another meal and it seems like I can eat 4 to 5oz of veggies but then only half a boiled egg.

For me some foods just fill me up quicker than others.

When you get to full solids you'll learn which foods fill you up quicker than others.

I felt the same way in the beginning. At about day 5-6 post op I was able to get in my liquids and most of my Protein shakes. As time went on and I progressed thru the stages I found that I didn't have any issues with anything I ate. I measured and weighed everything but I was able to consume easily. I was worried too. I would read on here people struggling to get in 1oz and was able to do 3-4oz.

Well I stopped worrying and thanked my lucky stars that I was able to do that. I still at 4 months post op weigh and measure my food. Some foods I can eat more of (but I don't cause I weigh it out) and some I can't. I have learned where my fullness is and I stop. Every once in awhile I forget and I drink to fast, I don't have to sip anymore but I cannot gulp or chug either.

I just feel like this is my new "normal" and I am just living my life. I bet you are fine and have not stretched anything out. But it is always good to check with your doc. If nothing is wrong be happy you can consume what you can and work that tool for all it is worth!! :D

Thanks for all the great advice. I def measure and weigh and what not with my food. I just noticed that I feel like I could have more things then others. I can eat fish fine and some really soft chicken but I can not get soft veggies to stay down. I have definitely slimed and vomited. I think it was due to the first time I in took some solids and it was harder for me to recognize the full feeling. I by the clock 9, 1, and 5 are meals. My two shakes and solid dinner and I have one snack at either 11 or 3 depending on when I'm more active and tend to need something to push me through. I will watch my intake, I was just getting a lil worried!

I had the same 'OH MY LAWWD I CAN EAT A TON' freak out this week!

I have been using those super cute baby bowls with the lids (the colorful ones) and baby spoons. The bowl is 8oz, so I know half is 1/2c, or a full is 1 cup, etc etc etc. I usually eat about 1/2c or a bit more and am full or at least satiated. However, I think because I am used to the small bowl as 'normal' now, I wasn't computing that my normal portion now is pretty tiny compared to everyone else's normal portion size.

But I do see FB posts from some of my surgery buddies-- they are eating 1 shrimp and then they are full. Then I am left wondering 'Seriously?!' because I can have 4-5. Then I wonder for hours if my surgeon maybe tested out a new, larger sleeving tool on ME and I ended up with the almost normal sized stomach....LOL paranoia at its finest.

I guess we are lucky in the fact that the restriction isn't super severe, and we aren't throwing up all the time, right?!

Hey- now at least I know I am not alone! Thanks buddy :)

Keep in mind - shrimp come in little bitty bay shrimp size all the way up to jumbo prawns.

Also, as much as I advocate "eating small" I do think that people who undereat (ie never really reach satiety) are more prone to grazing.

Bottom line, we each have our own journey and constantly comparing to others can drive you batty. :)

I had the same 'OH MY LAWWD I CAN EAT A TON' freak out this week!

I have been using those super cute baby bowls with the lids (the colorful ones) and baby spoons. The bowl is 8oz, so I know half is 1/2c, or a full is 1 cup, etc etc etc. I usually eat about 1/2c or a bit more and am full or at least satiated. However, I think because I am used to the small bowl as 'normal' now, I wasn't computing that my normal portion now is pretty tiny compared to everyone else's normal portion size.

But I do see FB posts from some of my surgery buddies-- they are eating 1 shrimp and then they are full. Then I am left wondering 'Seriously?!' because I can have 4-5. Then I wonder for hours if my surgeon maybe tested out a new, larger sleeving tool on ME and I ended up with the almost normal sized stomach....LOL paranoia at its finest.

I guess we are lucky in the fact that the restriction isn't super severe, and we aren't throwing up all the time, right?!

Hey- now at least I know I am not alone! Thanks buddy :)

What type of foods are you eating? Soft/carbo foods you can probably eat more of where pure ptotein you will get fuller faster....... :-)

What CowgirlJane said is what happened to me with the band. I knew that 2 bites of a meal was not enough so I would take that "small meal" and finish it- even if it took me 90 minutes which started my " grazing phase"

In the beginning I was in the "can barely eat anything" crowd. That changed slowly over time, but then a few weeks ago I noticed I felt like I was eating considerably more than before. Now, I can't eat as much again.

I asked a guy who is about 20 months post-op and had lots a TREMENDOUS amount of weight what he thought about it... he said there are some weeks he feels he can eat more than others. In balance, it's not a big deal if you're eating healthy foods, and not abusing it.

I think its just another one of those things where we all experience a slightly different version of it, some more than others, etc. But unless you've been stuffing your sleeve silly, I don't think you have anything to worry about with stretching.

You're 32 lbs down! Keep going... :)

Bottom line, we each have our own journey and constantly comparing to others can drive you batty. :)

So true... compare to learn, but don't compare to compare. If that makes any sense...?