Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair issues. Of course

OK, three months post-surgery and I am noticing i'm losing hair at a bit of a faster rate than normal. So far, it's not too bad, and I'm working on the exercise and Protein, eating Gelatin, and in general trying to support good Hair growth.< /p>

But I AM noticing lots of hair breakage. I mean, seriously - I may not be going bald from Hair loss, but I'm going crazy with breakage.

Any ideas on how to prevent breakage?

If it helps, I use Pantene most of the time. Once or twice a month I'll use Neutrogena.

I'm hoping some hairdressers will reply.... but I've been told by a lot of hair people that Pantene is one of the worst shampoos you can use.

I only use salon products...currently I'm using Paul Mitchell. Your milage may very... but I'm just past three months.. and I haven't noticed significant Hair loss or breakage....

Good luck!

Christina

I am 4 months out and losing by the handful each day. It is making me nuts. Pantene is supposed to be a Shampoo that isn't the greatest for your hair in general. One of the ingredients, though I can't remember what. I went to Ulta and bought some Nioxin, as well as cutting my hair shorter. I have some days with minimal loss and others that are just scary!!! Good thing I started out with a ton of hair......

I stopped using shampoos with sulfates several years ago. Hoping to not have the same issues after I'm sleeved

My hairdresser does not like Pantene either as well as shampoos with sulfates. I also use a salon Shampoo. I am almost 1 year post-op RNY and have had very little Hair loss. My hair is much coarser though than before the surgery.

I take Biotin in the hopes of avoiding a big loss. I am only 6 weeks out, so none for me at this time!

Here is the thing, Biotin will help with hair regrowth but it is likely some of us will still lose a significant amount of hair. There are a few reasons why:

1. Having major surgery is traumatic and cause Hair loss

2. Rapid weight loss can cause a person to lose a good amount of hair

3. If your Protein levels are not what they need to be, it can cause hair loss

4. For those of us going through menopause, hair loss can also happen.

5. If you happen to have a thyroid condition the weight loss can cause your levels to fluctuate and you may require a hormone replacement adjustment

I have been the lucky person to have a lot of this happen much at the same time.

Here is the good news, I have been told that it starts between month 3/4 and should improve by the end of month 5. I was also told by multiple doctors that it will come back. And the better news, I have lots of new short hairs growing in, but I am still losing. I am just getting to my 5th month.

I take Biotin everyday and it is definitely helping with hair, skin and nails.

I am lucky to be one of those people with a very thick head of hair. Now, it takes me less time to blow dry. The hair I do have is very healthy and I use salon products called surface.

I am just past 3 months out and have been losing by literal handfuls daily. I don't know what to do anymore. It does have to do with where in cycle tyour hair is when you have your surgery. The trauma from surgery and rapid weight loss add to it. I read that it does stop, but I have been hit HARD. I take Biotin, get in my Protein and vits, but it's not really helping. My hair has never been so thin.

I'm having a revision on Mar 3, but I did lose a LOT of hair the first time. It grew back. Surgery shocks your body. Then the rapid weight loss disturbs your system more. Really keep up with your Protein. Biotin, and just all of the Vitamins in general will help some. Use shampoos that don't leave a waxy coating on your scalp so the new hair can grow in easily. A few people might not experience the Hair loss, but doing what you can to ensure healthy regrowth is worth it.

Biotin and Protein are the key

Nearly 5 months post op and also panicking with hair loss; in the morning my bed is full of hair. I was told to increase the amount of Zinc I take but to be honest I see no difference. I take my Protein but now my uric acid seems to be too big (excess protein?) Does anyone know how long this Hair loss take? I know we are all different but I was just wondering how it was for you. Thanks!

I went through hair loss with the lapband surgery, even though I took Biotin and got my Protein in. It was very traumatic for me. This time around (after my revision), I'm a little more prepared for it emotionally. I'm 6 weeks post-op, so it hasn't started yet. I'm just dreading the time that it does.