Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2015 Surgery!

Well March Bypassers... How's it going? My surgery was 3/16.

I'm still home from work. I'm not getting enough calories in yet so I'm pretty weak and get tired easy.

I still have belly pain...anyone else?? I had hernia repair too but I think due to many other abdominal surgeries I had a lot of scar tissue to get through. It's the only thing I can imagine. I still haven't had my post op (next week).

I did have a "What in the hell did I do day!" I was pretty tearful and just decided I needed a nap so I took a long one and adjusted my attitude. I would imagine that's pretty common.

So far I've been able to tolerate soft scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, pureed peaches, green Beans, pureed black Beans with melted mozzarella cheese and tonight I tried to put roast beef slices from the deli with beef broth in the blender. It chopped it pretty fine, not quite a puree and I was careful to chew forever. No side effects so that's good. I'll keep scouring the internet for other phase II food ideas. Tomorrow I'm going to boil a chicken and try to get some of that pureed with broth. I need to get some small ziplock storage bowls for all my little treats in the fridge :)

Anyway, just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing.

Have a great day everyone!

3/25 here, so I'm a week out. Still quiet sore but tolerable. Coughing is what's rough for me. I'm still on full liquids till the 11 and post op is the 17th. But really hoping to go back to work before then. My WTH day was day 4 and I cried all day nothing could make me feel better.

My surgery was March 10th so just over 3 weeks ago. In the beginning I drank a Protein Shake with a Greek yogurt and a banana mixed in it. It had around 30-40 grams of Protein. It really helped with the weakness. No belly pain for me thank goodness. I'm able to eat pretty much anything at this point and looking forward to getting a fill.

My cur grey Watson March 23 the first three days were fine, but the four days I started feeling very unwell my heart was beating very fast, I got tired very easily and with very strong cramps in the stomach.

I call the doctor's office and then send me to ER, my doctor was on call and he initially said that I was dehydrated. They treat me with many fluids and makes me many tests. Finally they saw that it was nothing related to surgery, I had colitis. but the doctor told me that at the time of surgery they apply large amounts of antibiotics and possibly those antibiotics kill the good and bad bacteria in the colon.

Now I'm better, but is hard for me to take all the fluids I need.

My surgery was Mar. 18. I had an open revision, so I have an incision. The surgeon used adhesive instead of staples, so it is uncomfortable, but not as bad as staples. I've had other surgeries, first time without staples! I actually feel very good. My first followup appointment is next week. I did have a "why on Earth did I do this?" day 5 days after surgery. I was a crying mess. I hadn't slept well since the surgery, partly because I had a low grade fever, and was getting chills and sweats. Oh, and I was in pain! I take anxiety meds , so I took an anxiety pill, and some liquid tylenol for the fever, and I finally slept well. The next morning I felt SO much better. I have to be on full liquids for a total of four weeks. The surgeon just recently changed that policy. It used to be two weeks, but I don't mind, because I am so afraid I will mess this up! . I just want to heal well. They said I would be sore in my upper left part of my abdomen , because that is where they cut the muscle, and it does hurt there, but only if I am up doing something. I'm alternating between Protein drinks, and yogurts, with some broth once in a while. I'm disabled, so it is painful for me to stand long enough to blend and strain Soups, but I've done it a couple of times. I had strained french onion Soup once, and it was a nice change, but the thing I microwaved it in smelled like onions for a while!!! I hope you are all feeling well. I have one more pound to lose to get into the 2s!!!!

Edited by highdesertblue

My surgery was 3/31 so I'm not quite a week out. My WTH moment was on days 2-3. The gas pain was horrible. Fortunately it was tolerable by day 4. I don't have very much pain now. The only time anything hurts is if I stretch too far or move too fast.

I'm on full liquids until March 15th. It's still pretty hard to get in the full amount of liquid my dr wants (64oz Water and 2 Protein shakes per day). My family and I met up with my dad at Village Inn this morning for Breakfast. It didn't bother me at all to sit there and just drink Water while everyone else ate. I haven't had an appetite at all which is a nice change. I am ready to move to soft foods though but only because drinking an ounce every 10-15 minutes or so is getting really old. It will be over before I know it though.

Found out yesterday that I got Thrush. It's pretty gross. Doesn't hurt or anything at least. The Dr said this is normal within he first week after surgery because of the large amount of antibiotics they gave me in the hospital. So I get to let a lozenge dissolve in my mouth 5 times a day for the next 10 days. Fun!

Other than that I feel pretty good. I noticed that I can get up and move around much easier than yesterday. I have been walking 1-2 miles a day (only for the past 3 days) and I get to go back to work tomorrow.

Glad to see everyone else is progressing too!

Surgery 3/16

Had my post op yesterday and the surgeon was pleased with my progress. I asked her about pain not with swallowing but afterwards and thought maybe it was due to the hiatial hernia repair and she said the opening to the stomach is smaller and that my "bites" of food should be about the size of your pinkie finger tip to the first knuckle. Very small...she said chew about 20 times or very well, swallow and wait a full minute before I take another bite. I tried this and it's working. I was taking too big of bites and even though I was chewing thoroughly it was painful trying to get into my stomach.

My calories are still too low, I'm pretty weak. She suggested another Protein drink (ugh!) or a glass of milk.

I bought Unjury's chicken Protein powder and it's excellent! I'm really picky with Protein drinks and this tastes just like chicken broth and has 21g of Protein. I got the unflavored as well and I'm going to put that in light mayo, add it to black Beans and whatever else I eat to boost the protein.

Hope all you March 15'ers are doing awesome!

Excited that I get to start pureed foods tomorrow! I need a little variety....lol I'm healing well and have my post op next friday, but going back to work on Monday. Surgery was 3/25.

Hi everyone. I had mine on 4/8/15. Still sore and tired. But am sleeping at night now. Every day brings a little bit more of myself back. Just ate my first 2 oz meal of yogurt plus 1T Protein. Slight headaches now and then also. Otherwise good. Thumbs up!

Hi,

I'm away from my goal and my results so far are not what I expected and I'm not happy with that, but I think this is because since my surgery I have been hospitalized 2 occasions by colitis, which has been caused by all antibiotics that they applied me before the operation.

hope you all are well after the surgery, and those who will just have the surgery soon good luck.

Hello Starsun 100, If I were in your shoes, I would take a chewable probiotic. That will help replace your intestinal flora. I haven't had surgery yet, but I'm waiting for a referral. I so appreciate everyone's posts. It has been so very helpful.

Ok anybody that had sleeve around March 15 having hungry symptoms I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm taking my Vitamins, drinking shakes, getting in my Water. But today it's like my stomach is hungry. I ate a Popsicle and tied me over for like an hour.

Surgery 3/9. Hi everyone!

I'm doing well, I suffered dumping once and I learn that gnocchi are not a good idea even though they are soft. I'm tired at the end of the week but I can make all the day long without feeling so tired as before. I'm happy because everything goes like the doctor told me. My best wishes to all of you. Good luck!

Surgery 3/16

Hey everyone, I hope all is well and you are all dropping weight like maniacs!! :)

I just wanted to post a note to tell you all if you are not feeling "right" trust yourself and your body. I had been feeling like something was really not quite right with my eating even when I went to my post op. If you see my post a few above you will see that my doctor told me to take smaller bites and chew really well.

Well.....after getting dehydrated and having to have IV fluids on 5/5/15, I had an endoscopy on 5/6 and they found that I have an esophageal ulcer and a stricture. I KNEW IT!!! The ulcer is from food not going through fast enough and sitting in my lower esophagus. After the procedure, I was back to liquids, pureed, soft...etc and could eat much better. The ulcer really hurts tho :(

I'm having a repeat endoscopy so they can do the balloon thing again on 6/19 to make sure the stricture is fully open.

Trust me, don't suffer through something.... If it doesn't feel right, talk to your doctor! I wish I had insisted in this sooner.

I wish all my March friends much success!!

Surgery 3/16

Hey everyone, I hope all is well and you are all dropping weight like maniacs!! :)

I just wanted to post a note to tell you all if you are not feeling "right" trust yourself and your body. I had been feeling like something was really not quite right with my eating even when I went to my post op. If you see my post a few above you will see that my doctor told me to take smaller bites and chew really well.

Well.....after getting dehydrated and having to have IV fluids on 5/5/15, I had an endoscopy on 5/6 and they found that I have an esophageal ulcer and a stricture. I KNEW IT!!! The ulcer is from food not going through fast enough and sitting in my lower esophagus. After the procedure, I was back to liquids, pureed, soft...etc and could eat much better. The ulcer really hurts tho :(

I'm having a repeat endoscopy so they can do the balloon thing again on 6/19 to make sure the stricture is fully open.

Trust me, don't suffer through something.... If it doesn't feel right, talk to your doctor! I wish I had insisted in this sooner.

I wish all my March friends much success!!

I have a stricture as well, my surgery day was 3/16. I had my second endoscopy with dilation last Thursday, I don't have an ulcer thank God!!! But it's been very hard, getting stronger because I'm trying more foods, mostly I still have to blend chicken and fish. Good luck to you! Dr said 2 dilatation should work, if not he talked about steroid shots, inside where the stricture is. But I hope I don't need that! Also he told me to eat so food keep stricture enlarged. Will see! I tough I was going crazy! But I did it!