Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I doomed to fail? Is the sleeve right for me?

I have the band and am looking to revise to sleeve next month (pending approval).

I've read many sleeve success stories and they can be encouraging. However, the stories from people feeling like the procedure didn't work for them, and those who have not lost weight or gained it back, are causing me to wonder if this is the right thing for me to do.

The types of posts that worry me are those that say things like:

1. I don't have any restriction and I never did
  2. I used to have restriction but now I don't
  3. It took a long time to get restriction
  4. I can eat more with the sleeve than I could with the band
  5. I can eat whatever I want.

I don't want that! I want something to stop me from eating because I seem unable to stop myself!

I'm starting to wonder how effective this procedure will really be....Will I be the reason the sleeve fails, just like I was the reason I failed with the band?

I lost 40 pounds with band and have 40 to go. I have not lost the second 40 and have not been able to get the band adjustment correct (always too loose or throwing up everything I eat). I'm not miserable with the band and it has helped me to keep the 40 pounds off nicely. I just have not lost any more than that. I can, and do, eat too many calories everyday (1300-1500 about 100--120 carbs because I can) and I don't exercise much because I have lost my motiviation. Obviously, I'm the reason I have not lost weight (I know that and don't need to be told) - but I did think the band would help me to eat less than that! I don't eat slider foods, except maybe my Protein Drinks and FF Greek yogurt. I don't eat a lot of junk - I just eat too much, plus the occasional nibble of something bad - today it was 1 brownie bite, yesterday it was 9 tortilla chips, the day before that it was more cheese than I sould have had on a salad, tomorrow it will be something like too much Salad Dressing.< /p>

I do realize that I have to show some self-control - but that is why I failed with traditional diets. I can show self-control for a while, but then I give up.

Am I doomed to fail no matter what I do? Is the sleeve really that much different or better than the band or traditional dieting? I realize I have to do the work, but I honestly thought WLS was going to make it ieasier to eat less.

Maybe I'm just ranting. I am feeling pretty discouraged and hopeless. I want to believe in the sleeve, but I also do not want to set myself up for disappointment.

Were you disapointed? Maybe this sleeve thing is too good to be true?

Yeah ... no.

I don't think the sleeve will permanently stop me from eating too much.

And as far as I recall, no bariatric surgeon and no sleeve patient who's been successful long-term has ever promised me that.

If you really want to conquer this monkey on your back, I urge you to find a good therapist who deals with these issues and do the hard work you need to do. I've been in counseling for 8 months now and have promised myself I'll see the therapist for 3 years -- the year of losing weight, the year of maintaining weight, and the year of boring real life.

What the sleeve WILL do is give you a few years of relative peace to address your issues. But as with the band, there are many ways to game the sleeve. And (as I've read) the sleeve's restriction and its dominance over your eating behavior will ease to some degree.

Already, at 6 months post-op, I can eat more than I could 2-3 months out. Admittedly, that's a lot less than I could eat pre-op. But those who are longer out than me (a year, 2 years, 3 years) mostly say it's up to them what they put in their mouths and swallow.

Sorry, but IMHO the sleeve is only one of many tools you must use to become and stay healthy.

I wish you the very best.

I agree with @VSGAnn2014. No WLS is a magic bullet that solves all of your food issues. The VSG helps you while you are learning better habits, but if you don't change, you will end up back where you began.

If you can't afford therapy (I know that I can't), there are some very helpful books that might help you to take control of your eating habits. One that I particularly like is called, "The Beck Diet Solution." But you will find many recommendations on this forum.

Whatever you decide, I hope the best for you.

Have you considered RNY? They get dumping which from what I understand is one of the most powerful ways of curbing yourself when you give into the carbs. It seems so drastic and complicated at first, and I think that's at least part of the reason why some people (including myself) lean towards the sleeve or band initially. However, it does have a great track record and I know an RNY patient personally who still dumps if she eats too much sugar and she's more than 6 years out.

If you really want the sleeve or decide to stick with the band, you may want to try to work with a bariatric therapist. There is so much tied up in how we got to where we are weight-wise and learning to change behaviors and coping mechanisms is difficult. Also there is a pretty good book called Emotional First Aid for bariatric patients that is pretty good.

Good luck to you. Congratulations on your success so far and I'm sure you're not doomed to fail. You just have to find what works for you!

Edited by sweetie716

Dumping is usually temporary. . First year post op...so you are rolling the dieice to count on it.

I had the band 10 years. It is much more restriction than the sleeve but I ended up weighing over 300 pounds. I have been successful maintaining a healthy weight post sleeve.

The key to appetite control now that I am 3 years out is eating a certain way..following the rules. Some people are open to that message and others have the view that they had WLS so they don't need to diet ever again ..good luck with that! Even "naturally" trim people watch what they eat.

I don't really know what to say. There are varying degrees of "success " with any WLS. Pick a surgeon with an excellent track record, get educated, get a support system in place and become one of the success stories. There are a bunch of them.

I have the band and am looking to revise to sleeve next month (pending approval).

I've read many sleeve success stories and they can be encouraging. However, the stories from people feeling like the procedure didn't work for them, and those who have not lost weight or gained it back, are causing me to wonder if this is the right thing for me to do.

The types of posts that worry me are those that say things like:

• I don't have any restriction and I never did
  • I used to have restriction but now I don't
  • It took a long time to get restriction
  • I can eat more with the sleeve than I could with the band
  • I can eat whatever I want.
I don't want that! I want something to stop me from eating because I seem unable to stop myself!

I'm starting to wonder how effective this procedure will really be....Will I be the reason the sleeve fails, just like I was the reason I failed with the band?

I lost 40 pounds with band and have 40 to go. I have not lost the second 40 and have not been able to get the band adjustment correct (always too loose or throwing up everything I eat). I'm not miserable with the band and it has helped me to keep the 40 pounds off nicely. I just have not lost any more than that. I can, and do, eat too many calories everyday (1300-1500 about 100--120 carbs because I can) and I don't exercise much because I have lost my motiviation. Obviously, I'm the reason I have not lost weight (I know that and don't need to be told) - but I did think the band would help me to eat less than that! I don't eat slider foods, except maybe my Protein drinks and FF Greek yogurt. I don't eat a lot of junk - I just eat too much, plus the occasional nibble of something bad - today it was 1 brownie bite, yesterday it was 9 tortilla chips, the day before that it was more cheese than I sould have had on a salad, tomorrow it will be something like too much Salad Dressing.< /p>

I do realize that I have to show some self-control - but that is why I failed with traditional diets. I can show self-control for a while, but then I give up.

Am I doomed to fail no matter what I do? Is the sleeve really that much different or better than the band or traditional dieting? I realize I have to do the work, but I honestly thought WLS was going to make it ieasier to eat less.

Maybe I'm just ranting. I am feeling pretty discouraged and hopeless. I want to believe in the sleeve, but I also do not want to set myself up for disappointment.

Were you disapointed? Maybe this sleeve thing is too good to be true?

I totally understand your fears. Mine were so similar. The one thing I did know was the band needed to come out! I wasn't really having any problems but I felt like something wasn't quite right and had gained most my weight back. Remember how well you did with the band in the beginning when it was all so new? Once you get a bad fill then it's all downhill from there. Well, did the revision- turns out the band had slipped and formed a hernia. I'm in the beginning phases of the sleeve and am following the rules just like I did with the band. I know it's up to me for this to be successful. I know I'm going to have my ups & downs but this was a chance I was willing to take. Good luck to you in your journey

I am just over 5 months away from 4 years out from VSG, made goal 8 months post op and have been maintaining since.

Here is my experience with your concerns:

1. I don't have any restriction and I never did
    • I'm not familiar with this one. I can't imagine anyone who has NEVER had the feeling of restriction. The only thing I can imagine could cause this is the surgeon not stitching tight. For me, I would consider this a remote concern.
  2. I used to have restriction but now I don't
    • This one I have heard. I believe it is because after some time, we learn how to "eat around" our sleeve. Restriction can sometimes be sudden and I know for me, I get discouraged when I have a couple BBQ ribs in front of me and after 1, I can't continue. But, if I add some more sauce, maybe a little apple sauce, I can easily eat 3 ribs. We discover slider foods and combinations which allow us to consume more. As CGJ said, when I stick to the plan (follow the rules), I have great restriction. It is when I go off plan that things change.
  3. It took a long time to get restriction
    • This is one of those things that will be different for everybody. You aren't going to get your "true" feeling of restriction until several months out after your stomach has completely healed and you are off of Dr restrictions. Some folks think they should be feeling restriction after a few bites of yogurt one month out. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.
  4. I can eat more with the sleeve than I could with the band
    • I never had the band, but from what I have read, compliance plays a large role.
  5. I can eat whatever I want.
    • This is absolutely true for me, which is one of the reasons I choose the sleeve. The only food restrictions I have are those I place on myself in order to stay on the plan, which for me, includes eating nutritionally balanced meals, which is something the sleeve, this forum and my drive to be successful at VSG,

Edited by PdxMan

I'm only 6 months out, so take this with a grain of salt, but my restriction is REAL. I am very restricted in how much I can eat at once time, topping out at 2-4 ounces of meat (depending on what type of meat and how it's served). I can eat a whole individual serving of greek yogurt okay now (different story at like 2 months post op) and I even started adding 13 grams of kashi Cereal to that before my workouts so I have a few carbs for fuel. The addition of the Cereal really pushes the limits of my sleeve's capacity, but I just eat it very slowly.

Now, that being said, I could still eat every hour if I wanted to. I'm not hungry, but once the food has passed through my sleeve, there's nothing to stop me from eating more if I so chose. I could also choose to eat 4 ounces of cake instead of 4 ounces of chicken. I could drink soda and juice non-stop. There are many many many ways that I could sabotage myself and work around/against my sleeve.

For me the sleeve has handled the problem of over eating. I can get down 3-5 oz per sitting. That's it. If overdo it and get more it's either coming back up or I'm praying it will. I do 3 meals and 2 Snacks per day. If I didn't snack I'd not get enough calories to maintain and be low on Protein. I can eat pretty much what I like in small portions. Occasionally if I really over do on sugar\fat, it will dump which is one of the most miserable experiences ever! A cookie or 2 is fine, a slice of cheesecake is bad, bad news! For me, the sleeve has done exactly what I needed... forced me to decrease volume. I'm compliant with supplements, Protein and exercise and about 95 pounds down, maintaining for 9 months.

Let me add a few more questions to those of the OP (OldMomof3).

I am getting the band removed and considering the sleeve at this point and going through all the requirements to do so.

Here are some of my concerns:

1) I have severe back problems and arthritis for which Tylenol doesn't work. I am not inclined to use narcotics for pain relief but I won't be able to use NSAID's for the rest of my life. That's a major concern of mine.

2) I was not always an overweight or obese person. I grew up a skinny kid and ate whatever I liked - I have always had a huge appetite. When I didn't diet I was skinny. My dieting started in my late 20's after putting on about 10 or so pounds and from then on my weight just kept increasing. Lots of yo-yo dieting. Will this be any different?

3) I have always had a huge appetite and get hungry. And yes, I know the difference between real hunger and head hunger. Guess what I discovered? That food takes away hunger. But for me that requires more food than I should eat. What will the sleeve do to address that?

4) I've been exercising for close to 15 years. Started with treadmill and added aerobics and weight machines. Exercise is good for a lot of things and everyone should do it. It however is not that great for weight loss. It can help somewhat with metabolism. Better for other health reasons. Some people can lose a lot of weight from exercise - like runners. But not all of us are runners.

So, does the sleeve affect hunger or only the amount of food you can eat but not really achieving satiety? That has been my problem with the band. Never had satiety. Ever.

So much of what those who replied was said to those who struggled with the band back when this was the lap band forum. That the band didn't fail them, they failed the band. Then why are so many getting the band removed or not getting it put in in the first place?

If the sleeve doesn't affect hunger and only provides restriction then I'm not sure it's the surgery for me. If the sleeve controls my hunger and the food I eat satisfies me, then it will work. If it doesn't then it will just be another failure, like the band.

I realize there is some variation in experience, but most of us get drastic reduction in hunger. I had the band for 10 years and most of the time I was in hunger or in pain - no true satiety. Sleeve works like a normal, smaller stomach. I get hungry, i eat small portions, I am not hungry for awhile.

I started 2001 band at 272, never got under 200#. hungry 24/7 and high drive to eat.

Sleeved 10 years later at 308; maintaining in the 150s 3 years post op.

I work it, but the sleeve is an effective surgery

Thank you cowgirl for your sensible and assuring reply. I remember when I was on the lap band forum - there was one thread for those who were revising to the gastric sleeve. This was several years ago. I remember that almost every one who had this done said: "The sleeve is what I thought the band was going to be like."

I had the same experience with the band as you did. It didn't do one thing it was promoted as doing. A year after it was put in, I had a severe stuck episode that required a trip to the ER. I have never been in such pain in my life. I was in so much pain I couldn't talk. I don't think getting shot could be more painful. The person who drove me had to talk for me. I was given dilaudid (sp?) and even that just dulled the pain a little. I was vomiting, too. That was 2009. All the fill was taken out of my band. However, I still get stuck sometimes but have learned how to make myself vomit. Not pleasant. There is no rhyme or reason as to when that will happen. One small bite of chicken breast could do it.

Do you get stuck with the sleeve? I sure never want to go through that experience again.

Btw, I love the picture of the horse. When I was a young girl I used to fantasize about a horse like that. Beautiful.

You do NOT get stuck with the sleeve. I have a few times overeaten/eaten too fast and vomited... but I mean a handful of times in 3 years. With the band I vomited often. IT was disgusting.

The magic words that I read that were instrumental in my decision were the people that said " the sleeve did what I thought the band was going to do". Deep down, I also knew that someday the band was going to need to come out and I was worried about the future - what if I move and have trouble finding a decent surgeon or my insurance changes and won't cover it" I realized I had to jump on it now. Plus- it was costing me $35 to go for fills & un-fills. Now I'm done! ( as long as there are no complications). Just have to pay for the follow up visits

As far as hunger goes, I'm sure you know that the sleeve surgery is supposed to remove the part of your stomach that produces ghrelin. That is supposed to help reduce hunger overall. I'm going on 6 months out and I can say that so far I am RARELY hungry. I had some head-hunger kind of cravings early on, but I'm past that now. I've only been physically hungry a few times, usually when I've gone longer between meals/snacks than normal. Also, I started really dedicating myself to exercise in mid January and I noticed I was getting hungry between Breakfast and lunch (probably just because I was burning more calories), so I added a cheese stick as a snack halfway through the morning and that has resolved that situation. I do eat 6 times a day, so I think that wards off the hunger. It's never much more than 2-3 waking hours between meals or Snacks, so that doesn't give me the chance to be hungry.