Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

“The Biggest Loser:” Irresponsible Weight Loss Surgery Comments?

If you’re a weight loss surgery patient or patient-to-be, you’d better grow a thick skin if you haven’t already. Your thick skin will help shield you from negative reactions to bariatric surgery. People are not afraid to make personal and hurtful comments about this surgery, even they often have no idea about the facts.

One of the barriers to getting weight loss surgery is the fear of telling others about it. People are quick to make you feel ashamed about your choice. They accuse you of cheating or of making a dangerous decision.

But it’s not just uninformed people who can make you feel bad. What about the media, which you trust to get its facts straight, and which influences millions of Americans’ beliefs and opinions? Sadly, the media spreads its share of misinformation about weight loss surgery.

One striking example occurred on the final episode of this season of NBC’s “The Biggest Loser.” For the record, this was not the first time this show publicly aired negative comments about weight loss surgery. On this occasion, Dr. Robert Huizenga clearly stated that weight loss surgery is an unhealthy choice. The implication was that it is a mistake in all cases, and far inferior to the weight loss methods used by “The Biggest Loser” contestants.

There was no mention of the fact that the weight loss methods used by the contestants are the exact same as the most effective weight loss methods used by weight loss surgery patients. That is, both use a low-calorie diet that dramatically reduces junk foods, and both encourage physical activity. The problem with weight loss surgery? Dr. Huizenga did not explain. Viewers can only guess at the horrors he was thinking of.

I’m certainly not the only one to notice such snubs on national television. The BariatricPal community had a thing or two to say about this particular episode of “The Biggest Loser,” and I invite you to check out the comments and add to the discussion if you haven’t already.

The Biggest Loser

Nobody’s dream in life is to get weight loss surgery. Unfortunately, nobody’s dream in life is to struggle with obesity, but many of us do. What options do we have? Those of us who have chosen weight loss surgery chose it because we exhausted our other options. Those options – regular diets – just didn’t work for us.

So, what would Dr. Huizenga have recommended in my case? A 16-week stay at the Biggest Loser Ranch, just like the contestants who made it to the season finale? Full dietary, medical, and physical activity support, just like the contestants? Sure, I would have been happy to try that option. Unfortunately, it costs about $3,000 per week to stay at the resort. That’s a value of $48,000, not including the longer-term support contestants receive.

Could I have lost the weight without surgery if I had had $48,000 to spend and the promise of lifetime support? I don’t know. What I do know is I did not have the chance to try. I did, however, have the chance to get weight loss surgery, and I made the most of it.

Don’t get me wrong. I really respect what I see on television of the Biggest Loser trainers and health staff that I see on television. Dr. Huizenga seems genuinely distressed about contestants’ poor health at the beginning of the show, and just as genuinely satisfied about their improved prognoses by the end. This season, trainer Jen’s tears were representative of the sincere stake the trainers have in the contestants’ lives. And, like many in America, I’d be on the first plane to Los Angeles if Bob or Dolvett offered to train me. But I do wish they did not feel the need to bash weight loss surgery without explanation.

The Truth of the Matter

Even if you have the choice between losing weight the Biggest Loser way or through weight loss surgery, which is better? There’s no question that you need to decide for yourself, but let’s take a look at each of these weight loss methods.

Losing weight Biggest Loser style means spending hours a day in the gym. The show doesn’t air nearly as much material on food as it does on exercise, although terrible eating habits got contestants to where they were, and good nutrition is clearly a part of their new lifestyles. It seems doubtful that Biggest Loser contestants can continue to exercise so many hours per day for the rest of their lives after the show, and I am certain that many other individuals just do not have this kind of time.

Weight loss surgery is…well…surgery. It involves going under the knife and changing something about your insides. There are inherent risks that are unavoidable when you undergo weight loss surgery. Aside from that, bariatric surgery requires a controlled, high-protein, nutritious diet, and exercise is recommended. Many patients can average about 100 pounds, or a respectable and reasonable 2 pounds per week, during their first year after surgery.

How do the results of losing weight Biggest Loser style versus with bariatric surgery? Initial weight loss seems comparable, according to a study discussed in US News and World Reports. But the study found Biggest Loser contestants ending up with a lower metabolic rate – making them potentially more likely to regain their weight. Granted, this study did not follow participants long-term, so we do not know what will happen in 10 or 20 years. What does seem clear, though, is that it is not yet justifiable for the “Biggest Loser” to state matter-of-factly that all weight loss surgery is bad.

Why Does It Matter?

Does it really matter what a reality television show says in passing about weight loss surgery? I believe it does. For one thing, the country already has a culture that largely views bariatric surgery negatively. We don’t need to increase the negative feelings with these vague statements proclaiming that the show helps contestants lose weight the “right” way, and other methods of weight loss are “wrong.”

Second, the show has millions of loyal viewers, including many who may be eligible for weight loss surgery. In my opinion, the show is doing them a disservice by stating unequivocally that bariatric surgery is a bad option. For some of these viewers, bariatric surgery may be the only option that would allow them to lose the weight that has plagued them their entire lives.

I don’t know what the solution is to this problem of negativity towards weight loss surgery and weight loss surgery patients. Education and patience come to mind – spread the word, when you can, about how weight loss surgery works and why some people get it. And, grow a thick skin. No matter where you are in your weight loss journey, you’re bound to get some negative comments about your decisions. Just know that you are doing the right thing for yourself.

Bravo, well said.

@@Alex Brecher I do and don't get why people are getting their panties all in a bunch? You would have to be a complete uneducated moron to believe anything these people have to say about ANY kind of weight loss! They run a Completely unhealthy,torturous "camp" To show how to lose weight? It's ridiculous and unrealistic results. Look at the people who come out of there! All to sell their cheap Crappy products. I wouldn't spend one dime on any thing that say "biggest loser" on it...not even my carrots. Really carrots! They put there logo on carrots?! It's pathetic, and just knowing how WRONG and unsafe that whole program is should give people a clue to not take ANY of there "weight loss" information to heart..especially anything pertaining to surgical weigh loss. Find a different show to watch people! You can kill your brain cells in a much more entertaining way I can assure you!

I get why my panties were in a bunch about the comment. Here's the deal:

The complete and utter HYPOCRISY of his statement! The contestants on that show exercise for 8 hours a day. According to his statement, they are losing weight the RIGHT way, and not turning to "distasteful weight loss surgery." How about he give us the skinny (pardon the pun) on how many of those contestants keep the weight off after they are back in the real world and the show is long over? I'll be willing to bet the stats are better with WLS patients.

Notice how I used the word "contestant"? This guy is the spokesperson for a GAME SHOW, and he wants to tell us what the right way is to lose weight?

And for those of you who say "Oh, who cares what some guy on TV says about WLS. I'm happy with mine"...that's the EXACT reason why we need to speak up and defend our choice to lose weight and keep it off! If we as the WLS community just stand idly by and let people misinform and misguide millions of people about it, we are doing a disservice to ourselves, current and future WLS patients. You say you don't need to be an advocate for WLS just because you had it? If we all in the WLS community aren't willing to speak up and fight the ignorance and misinformation that's floating around out there, who will?

Edited by Babbs

@@Alex Brecher I do and don't get why people are getting their panties all in a bunch? You would have to be a complete uneducated moron to believe anything these people have to say about ANY kind of weight loss! They run a Completely unhealthy,torturous "camp" To show how to lose weight? It's ridiculous and unrealistic results. Look at the people who come out of there! All to sell their cheap Crappy products. I wouldn't spend one dime on any thing that say "biggest loser" on it...not even my carrots. Really carrots! They put there logo on carrots?! It's pathetic, and just knowing how WRONG and unsafe that whole program is should give people a clue to not take ANY of there "weight loss" information to heart..especially anything pertaining to surgical weigh loss. Find a different show to watch people! You can kill your brain cells in a much more entertaining way I can assure you!

"Does it really matter what a reality television show says in passing about weight loss surgery? I believe it does. For one thing, the country already has a culture that largely views bariatric surgery negatively. We don’t need to increase the negative feelings with these vague statements proclaiming that the show helps contestants lose weight the “right” way, and other methods of weight loss are “wrong.”

Second, the show has millions of loyal viewers, including many who may be eligible for weight loss surgery. In my opinion, the show is doing them a disservice by stating unequivocally that bariatric surgery is a bad option. For some of these viewers, bariatric surgery may be the only option that would allow them to lose the weight that has plagued them their entire lives."

PS: I wear boxer briefs :P

I agree that the audience of the Biggest Loser likely has a huge segment that could benefit from WLS and it is a shame that they are being told WLS is "distasteful" by a "trusted" doctor. It seems medically unethical to disparage a surgery that could save thousands of lives and is widely medically accepted as the most viable treatment for obesity.

Instead of watching an unrealistic "reality" game show, maybe they should spend that hour on Bariatricpal. They could then see the countless number of lives that have been changed for the better by the so called irresponsible way to lose weight. And let's not forget the lives that have been saved from debilitating health conditions and possibly even death.

If everyone on this site could dedicate 8 hours to exercise and even more time to preparing their meals every day, then I guess we could be considered responsible. PLEASE, who has that kind of time in their life??? And the people on the show will have to return to their jobs and lives after it is over. Is it realistic to believe they can continue with their schedule?

I agree with @@Alex Brecher, we need to grow another layer of skin and speak out about WLS. We have been there and most of the posts I have read only regret "not doing it sooner" :) We are the voices that can tell another side of WLS. I personally, consider WLS the most RESPONSIBLE choice that I have made for the betterment of my life! And I refuse to let some TV show make me feel less for that choice!

There are so many people who blindly trust and believe ANYTHING they hear on television. They believe that if a man or woman that signs "MD" behind their name says it, it has to be true. It is truly unfortunate that these so called "health professionals" are not more mindful of the damage that can be caused by what comes out of their mouths. So many of them are in it just for the money, but at what expense? At the expense of the health and lives of so many people that blindly watch and believe this mess? I truly don't understand how some of these people sleep at night.

In the end, I just can't care too much about the opinion others have about WLS. I have told anyone who asks me and have no shame about it. I know inside what this process is like and how hard it really is and that is good enough for me. It has been the one tool that I have been able to use that has made a difference in my health and in my long term future. I don't doubt that given enough time and money any one of us could lose the weight as seen on the the biggest loser. But then, who has that kind of time or money? I know that I don't and I also know that I could not wait for my life to pass me by. I had to act upon my behalf. I don't see anyone else stepping up to take that place for me?

As I see it, Biggest Loser has a business brand to protect. I imagine they see WLS as a threat... they are getting lots of money from the show itself + people paying thousands and thousands for a few weeks(!) There have been stories of people who "successfully" lost all this weight, and then it came back, for example, there was one person on Bariatric Pal that lost the weight on Biggest Loser and eventually wound up having WLS. Maybe if they discourage bariatric surgery, it keeps the hope alive that you can lose all this weight and keep it off... just like most diets and products. Possible (< 5% chance), but not likely.

What irked me was that one of my biggest goals, and the reason I have a blog, was to put it all together to create an ebook for men, on WLS, specifically the sleeve, and to be able to show from a man's perspective the hard truths about WLS. I wanted to do this so men won't take the same 3 to 4 or more years of waiting around to get what they need or to not do it at all and die prematurely or continue to live horribly.

That one sentence uttered on a tv show, set back what I had hoped to accomplish by light years. Some know my anger boiled over and in a very inarticulate way, I let the show know how I felt.

The worst part was reading posts from other overweight people who are attracted to the show like moths to a flame, and even in many cases repeated what the "doctor" had said while begging to be helped with their weight loss and obvious co-morbidities. Once people see it on television they become almost armored against the real facts. Once that first impression is made, it becomes a battle of incalculable proportions to change that perception. That's the real loss to the WLS community. Also I do wish more celebs who had this surgery would have stood up and decried this statement as malicious and untrue. While i do commend Rosie O'Donnell for having an open dialog about WLS, Iw would've been nice to see a press statement speaking about this issue as well. People Like Rosie, Al Roker, or Magic Johnson, etc. all have a forum in which they could advance the knowledge we have, to the general public, but no one stepped up to take their turn at bat, and as a result we all struck out mightily.

Well said @Alex Brecher !! Good thing there's those of us who aren't afraid to put ourselves out there and show the world what a good bariatric surgery is. Great article.

Well said, Alex. The tabloid magazines are just as guilty.

Years ago I was given a set of audio tapes with excerpts from various Executive and Business magazines. In it the then CEO of Heinz was quotes as saying "Sell them food to make them fat, so we can then sell them memberships to make them thin". He was referring to the acquisition of Weight Watchers.

You have to admit that NBC advertisers include food products, weight loss products, Gymnasiums, etc. so anything that would challenge the old way of thinking to the tune of billions of dollars is going to be a target. WLS is just that target. As more people turn away from their products and toward WLS the networks and advertisers / manufacturers will find themselves in dire straights. I know in the KC area alone probably 100,000 or more have turned to WLS. If you put a price on that, say, $10,000, it is not hard to imagine what is happening.

I used to LOVE the biggest loser! Jillian and Bob are amazing. I have their programs and they do work.... For a period of time. Sustainability is what I needed.

I just recently have been able to admit to people that I had surgery. No one knows how much research and soul searching goes in to this huge decision. We feel like failures going in but come out as "losers" (winners) , so now if they have a problem with it they can go find my lost 100pnds and suck it.