Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated every day of 7 day pre op diet

I'm feeling disappointed in myself, because I have cheated every day on my pre op diet. I'm so hungry and feel I'm starving so then I end up eating. I wonder if anyone on this site had the same challenges and if so did this delay thier surgery or cause complications during the procedure?

No way I could have done liquids for 2 weeks! Fortunately my doc didn't require it.I was required to lose 10% of my total body weight, so maybe that accomplishes the same thing?

Well I'm gonna stay positive. I still have 2 days before surgery so I'll to make these 2 days count. I also plan on being honest with my surgeon. I'm not giving up on myself I know God sure hasn't.

So what plans do you have to keep yourself from "cheating" every day post op? Since you are choosing to go against your doctor's orders your medical well being is obviously not a priority. If you aren't already, you probably need to see a therapist to deal with your food issues because you will be hungry after surgery, too. There's really nothing but your head keeping you from eating whatever you want and either not reaching goal or gaining weight back after you do lose it.

I'm due to start my pre op, it's the part I am dreading the most! It sounds bloody hard. My fingers are crossed for you :-) I'll look back for updates :-)

The preop was very hard in the beginning. I think it was the hardest part of the whole process for me. I did 23 days of it. Uugh! After doing the first 3 or 4 days my body became used to it and I didn't feel like I was dying from hunger and the headaches stopped. At that point it was no big deal. My head would definitely scream for other things especially at work when we are all in the cafeteria and I'm with people inhaling yummy stuff while I drank my shake. But did it, didn't cheat and moved on to the next step. Definitely super hard though!

I had a 2 wk liquid pre op diet. I understood it was to shrink the size of my liver even tho my surgeon never did any tests to check if I had an enlarged liver. I also know different docs require different diets pre op. It's kind of crazy That it just depends on your doctor. Made me question 2 wks of liquids only.

I did cheat but I kept it to 1-2 oz of lean Protein...turkey or chicken. It kept me sane and hunger free. Also had 2 Protein shakes, cream Soups, Water, etc. 2 days before surgery I went to complete liquid diet.

Post op my liquid diet lasted only 8 days. On day 9 my surgeon released me to eat soft foods like scrambled eggs, tuna, canned chicken and cottage cheese.

Am I eating perfectly? No, but I'm very aware of the size of my stomach and get my Proteins and Water in first. I don't feel deprived, losing 2-2 1/2lbs a week, not losing any hair. Yay! By the way I was sleeved on Oct 20, 2014.

So what plans do you have to keep yourself from "cheating" every day post op? Since you are choosing to go against your doctor's orders your medical well being is obviously not a priority. If you aren't already, you probably need to see a therapist to deal with your food issues because you will be hungry after surgery, too. There's really nothing but your head keeping you from eating whatever you want and either not reaching goal or gaining weight back after you do lose it.

I know it is hard. I did my pre-op diet over the last two weeks of the year and went through both holidays. I gave myself permission to eat a little off schedule only one one holiday, but went right back to my plan the next day. Also, my pre-VSG nutrition counting was based on weekly, not daily so I had more flexibility as long as I still ate healthy. We humans like to place so many restrictions that aren't based on our own specific metabolism/lifestyle, just because someone somewhere said it would work! :) (sorry for the side rant!)

One thing I notice about most posters that write they aren't sticking to their plan, is that they haven't taken ownership of it and realize it is THEIR plan, meaning, yeah the doctor wants you on it to lower the fat in your liver, but you have chose to take this road, their plan is now YOUR plan. You have decided to do this, so as the NIKE slogan, "Just Do It!"

I guess I am lucky because for a year, before I even knew about VSG surgery, I was in CBT therapy for weight loss to redirect my eating habits and thoughts. I too suggest you find a therapist that deals with eating habits. I found cognitive behavior therapy very helpful. There is a book called "Beck Diet Solutions," for me the cognitive exercises help a lot and it may help you to figure out why you aren't sticking to your plan! Judith Beck, the author is the daughter of Dr. Aaron Beck, who created/discovered Cognitive Behavior Therapy. They have a website and you can even find doctors that were trained in CBT weightloss through them. Good luck!

I understand It is very hard thats why I started eary one protien shake a day then two and lots and lots of Water. I am fine during the day its at night when I am bored I have to talk myself out of eating. You may want to push off surgery date a month or so the pre op diet is more than showing your commitment its to shrink your fatty liver so its safer for you.

This ain't a magical journey. Wanting it ain't enough.

You have to actually do it.

Battling hunger, head or otherwise, is no joke. Why be critical of someone struggling? We are all here because we have, or have had issues with food. OP, don't give up, and don't beat yourself up, just pick yourself up, and keep trying. You will get there.

I've really struggled too. Surgery is Thursday for me. I do really well all day until I get home and my 3 year old insists on me trying whatever. I have taken 1 or 2 bites and that's it. I also didn't realize that 2 things I was eating was against the rules (minestrone Soup that had some noodles AND tea sweetened with honey). I have lost only 5lbs in 2 weeks (I'm relatively low BMI to begin with). I challenge myself not to see it in black and white terms - it isn't I did the diet or I didn't. 95% of the time I did! I have 4 more days to continue improving the 5% remaining. And learn from the mistakes. My downfall is getting too hungry (fixed by timing my shakes and broth better) and nighttime boredom (fixed by chewing gum or having tea).

It doesn't sound like you want it enough. If so, then fight for it by ceasing the self sabotage and complying. Some people think the PreOp stage was the most challenging. Personally, after surgery has been emotionally harder for me...because there is no loop hole or going back. So if you can't handle PreOp...reconsider and truly decide if surgery is right for you.

I've really struggled too. Surgery is Thursday for me. I do really well all day until I get home and my 3 year old insists on me trying whatever. I have taken 1 or 2 bites and that's it. I also didn't realize that 2 things I was eating was against the rules (minestrone Soup that had some noodles AND tea sweetened with honey). I have lost only 5lbs in 2 weeks (I'm relatively low BMI to begin with). I challenge myself not to see it in black and white terms - it isn't I did the diet or I didn't. 95% of the time I did! I have 4 more days to continue improving the 5% remaining. And learn from the mistakes. My downfall is getting too hungry (fixed by timing my shakes and broth better) and nighttime boredom (fixed by chewing gum or having tea).

You have a nice start. You recognized what is hindering you and are looking for solutions to change your behaviors! Keep going!