Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op and really really struggling.

I had my sleeve done on Tuesday morning 9/10. I dry heaved and couldn't keep Water down the first two days.

I am now home and able to drink water about as much as I expected... However, I have zero interest in food, even the smell of broth, Protein Shakes make me extremely queasy.

As a result I am feeling weak, emotional.... The weight is pouring off but I know this isn't healthy. (I'm honestly living for the 2 week Mark where I can add eggs)

Anyway I am clinging to hope that someone has experienced this, has some tips, words of wisdom.

@@rhondatk I was just sleeved on Monday and I think I wrote posts very similar to yours in the first couple of days. My body chemistry was way out of whack so I was dry heaving every morning, having tastes linger on my tongue from everything I consumed which made me feel even more nausea, and I was in pain. I started to regret my decision to even have the surgery. Today marks five days post op for me and, while I do still have a lot of muscle soreness, I feel great. This is the first day I haven't dry heaved. My taste buds are back to normal. I'm still exhausted but my energy is up. And I have felt hungry today, though I have deprived myself of satisfying that hunger because I couldn't feel too sure. Hang in there. It gets better!! If you need someone to talk to please feel free to inbox me.

I also wanted to add that the only things I was able to do in those days were walk small distances and sip ice cold Water. I believe those things helped me.

Edited by GeminiSleever

I cried every day for the first three months after my operation ... It does get easier I promise, in relation to the food thing I had the exact same reaction, I honestly had to hold my nose and drink my protien shakes as fast as I could, getting protien is really important so even a pledger added to your Water might help... Good luck and hang in there it will get better

* powder not pledger ...

Warm liquids will go down easier. Suck on ice chips and sugar free popsicles if you have to. The goal is to stay hydrated.

I'm 8 months out, but my first few days were spent heaving. And retching. Your doctor can give you something for the nausea.

You don't have to worry about "healthy" or "protein" or much of anything besides staying hydrated and as comfortable as you can right now. Some people can get Protein down, some can't. Whatever Clear Liquids you can get down is fine. Now is the time to catch up on Netflix and keep a sugar-free popsicle in your mouth.

Shoot for the stars and if gravel on the ground is as high as you get right now, that's ok. Every day will be better.

Thank yall so much, I have never really posted like this and I am so happy that I did.

I am in tears, just knowing I'm not alone feeling this way gives me hope.

Tomorrow I will wake up and approach this with a new attitude, one foot in front of the other....

I am 4 months post surgery now and I did not have any interest in food for about the 1st 10 days for sure. My doc gave me medication for the nausea and I took that for about 10 days. As I am 4 months out I will share a rainbow with you...I was a solid 24/22 size when I started and today slipped into a size 16! I about burst into tears...I took a size 18 into the dressing room, just in case. Very happy day today. I am 75 lbs down and feel fantastic! I feel healthy...which is such a blessing.

What a great thread! I'm six days post-op (counting the day I had surgery as day 1). I had a horrible first three days. My second day was worse than the first. I begged to not have to try to drink anything. The doc said no problem. I think it might have even been kind of good to wait an extra day since I was being hydrated through my IV, but I'm not a doctor, so I can't say for sure. On day 3 I drank about 8 ounces of Water and apple juice. I just wanted to do whatever I had to do to get out of the hospital.

Day 4, 5, and 6 have been so much better! I'm only up to 30-34 ounces of Fluid, but I'm working towards 40 for today. I also only just started Protein yesterday. Only got in about 10 grams.

I feel so relieved when people say to focus on the hydration over the Protein. I hope they're right!

I understand my first several days were really ruff...i stayed in hospital 2 days i wasn't ready to go after 1 night so i stayed another one for iv fluids. Esophagus spasms for me i barely sipped Water. Second day better third day bad. First 2 wks hardly ate. More trying to get fluids which i drank Protein it was an all day job! That first month was long but you no...I'd do it again in a heart beat!! It really does get better each passing day. I am now 7 months out an 100 pds lighter! This will be yo shortly! By the time you reach a few months out yo wont remember to much of the present. Hang in there!! Your at the right place..xx