Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11cc Bronto-band: Does it EVER Fill Up?

I go for my 4th fill on Monday. I supposedly have 5cc in there right now. After the fills, I am fine for about a week, and then (as soon as the swelling goes down, I guess) nada zip zilch! I keep regaining and losing the same four pounds, and I'm appalled at how little it takes for me to gain weight. Why couldn't I be as efficient at golf as I am at hoarding calories and packing on the pounds? Grrr...

How many fills did it take for you Bronto-banders to hit the "sweet spot"?

I have the Vanguard 11, the big daddy of bands (due to my large belly!)

I was told this is the preferred band for those with excessive belly weight, and that it takes much longer to find the "sweet spot" as far as fills go. Good news is it is vastly adjustable, and has those interior "ribs" which make it less suceptable to slippage.

Fortunately, my Dr. is understanding, and I have been for many fills. I believe I am now up to 7.3cc's, and FINALLY I have good restriction. Prior to my last "bump", I could pretty much eat anything, and had to rely on willpower....ironic, I know. I was at a stalemate for weeks!

Be patient, go slow, listen to each bite, and listen to your band. The last 0.5cc's I had has left me a tad too tight (at times). And, I am not into pain while eating. I may actually back off a few next fill, as at times I feel like I can't possibly be getting enough food in to satisfy me nutritionally.

But volume-wise, when you hit restriction, it is simply amazing how you look at food, even your favorites, and say, "no way". Good restiction definately helps with hunger, amounts, and desire to eat. Keep in mind that level will change (sometimes daily) as you lose weight.

Good luck, go slow, and enjoy each reached goal!

I have an 11 cc band, also. My doc is very conservative and only gives fills every 3 to 4 months. Not until I had my fourth fill (at about 8 cc's) did I achieve restriction.

Hang in there! It is worth the wait and better not to chance a slip.

Cindi and MarcyD,

Thank you for the feedback and the info. My fourth fill was yesterday, and I'm at 6cc. There's some restriction, but not as much as I would like. I appreciate the advise to take it slow, and I didn't know that the VG band has "ribbies." Good to know. I appreciate the positive attitudes, and it's nice to know that others have the biggie-band. My doctor uses that band a lot, because he thinks it's the best to work with. Thanks again.

thanks for the info, had my first fill yeasterday, did nt even know that there were differednt sizes, I had a 3cc fil but reacted badly and they had to take out 2 cc about an hour later. so does the 11 hold 11 cc's of Fluid?

thanks for the info, had my first fill yeasterday, did nt even know that there were differednt sizes, I had a 3cc fil but reacted badly and they had to take out 2 cc about an hour later. so does the 11 hold 11 cc's of Fluid?

The way I understand it, not necessarily. There are 3 sizes of bands, the VG 11 being the largest. As far as fill capabilities, the VG can hold 10cc's I believe (Inamed, a division of Allergan: Products: Obesity Solutions (US Clinicians) )

but my doctor's office says that you can "overfill" it a little more. Restriction is restriction, in any size band, but the larger volume bands give you more room for adjustments (albeit taking longer sometimes to find the right sweet spot). I've been told that with the larger band, most people feel the best restriction in the 7cc-9cc range.

It took me a long time, and as I mentioned, I may not be there just yet. I go for another check on the 18th.

Hope you can get where you want to be soon....it is hard relying on willpower, I know!!

Thanks Cindi, I called the Dr's office and verified I have a Inamed 11 centimeter band, also verified it holds 10cc of Fluid. glad to know I have the newest and best bands! The nurse told me the 10 centemeter band only holds 4 cc of fluid, that doesnt make sense to me, but what do I know, Im not a mathmatician, lol

<p>My fourth fill puts me at 6cc, and I can feel a difference. Like I said, everything feels great for the first week or so. We'll see. I am out of town on the 24th, and I'd like to make sure that I'm "good" before I am in Virginia for that week. We will have to eat out for every meal, and I'm nervous already.</p>

I have the 11 cc VG band too, and am now at 9 cc. I have pretty good restriction most of the time. I think when I go back next week I'm going to get a little more. My surgeon told me that everyone is different and some people need one or two fills in the first year and some need as many as six or seven. I guess I fall into the latter category since this will be my 5th fill. I'm hoping just a little bit more will get me to my "sweet spot". I can't imagine that I would need many more fills since I'm almost "filled up" as it is, we'll see. I think I have less sensation in the nerves there in my stomach from some neuropathy from diabetes so I think that's why I'm one of the ones who may need to just "fill er up!" to get the full restriction.

It was very frustrating in the beginning when I'd get a fill and would have restriction for a few days and then be starving again :pop2:. I noticed a huge difference after my third fill, the last one was to just "top it off" because I thought I was eating more than I should, which I am doing again. Good thing these bands are so adjustable!!

Good luck with yours, it may take a few fills, but you will get to where you need to be! :(

Stacy,

I'm doing that, too: A few days after a fill, I'm right back to where I was. The mornings are great, but the evenings? Treacherous. How much time between all those fills your first year? I'm wondering how long to wait before I go in for another (5th). Also, how often do you all weigh yourselves? This may not be the place for this question, but I'd like to know.

bionicbroad,

Hi! I am just now 6 months out from my surgery date. I had my first fill on January 26th, my second fill in February (about 3-4 weeks later), my third fill in April and then my last fill (4th) in the beginning of June. I go in this week for my 6-month follow-up and am going to ask for another one. Hopefully this will "top me off" and I'll be good and hit my "sweet spot", I'm at 9 cc in the 11 cc band so I don't have too much more room to use up! I guess there's still room for several small adjustments, we'll see. But, my surgeon did say it takes some people 6-8 fills the first year to get to their "sweet spot".

I have the VG as well - my doc prefers them in the long term for less slippage due to the ribs and more control in the future with fills and unfills for health reasons.

He is also generous with the fills to get where you need to be. I was banded 3/27, first 3cc fill May 6 - not much restriction, thought I was failing this whole thing, second fill June 6 (just last week) and we might have just hit it! I am completely feeling what I expected to. I am full after eating the portions we are supposed to eat. I stay full for some time, satisfied til past time for another meal. Very satisfied right now!

Katie

3/27/07 Atlanta

H302 / C277 / G175?

I go for my 4th fill on Monday. I supposedly have 5cc in there right now. After the fills, I am fine for about a week, and then (as soon as the swelling goes down, I guess) nada zip zilch! I keep regaining and losing the same four pounds, and I'm appalled at how little it takes for me to gain weight. Why couldn't I be as efficient at golf as I am at hoarding calories and packing on the pounds? Grrr...

How many fills did it take for you Bronto-banders to hit the "sweet spot"?

Here's the deal on bands in the US currently available, all by Allergan/Inamed:

10cm/4cc

11cm VG/10cc

AP small/10cc

AP large/14cc

The AP bands just came out. I have put about 40 in so far. There is a post on my forum on my site detailing the differences.

Dr. Trace Curry - Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at Trace W. Curry, M.D. Lap Band Surgeon :: Home

10475 Reading Road Suite 117, Cincinnati, OH 45241

(877) 442-BAND(v) (513) 559-1235(f)

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

My experience is a little different. I lost all my weight with out good restriction, I hit goal weight in February and had a 0.25 fill to help maintain. I maintained ok for a couple of months, but gained a few pounds the last couple of months. I went last Friday and explained and he gave ma an agressive fill of 1.0 giving me a total of 8.25, if my calculations are correct.I can honestly say that for the first time, I have good restriction. I think part of my problem was that I held myself to a very strict diet and was loosing so well, my Dr was very conservative on my previous fills, afraid of overfilling.

Hi everyone,

I am a lil confused.. my doctor told me he has been agressive with my band. At my 2nd apt.. he told me this but after I told him what I could eat he wanted to add a lil more. He then said I was at 12 cc. I thought there was only a 4 and a 10 size band? If so how much can each hold. I have restriction that varies with the time of day. Right now I can never tell what I can eat.. and if I tend to eat fast..its all over and very painful..

Can anyone give me some insight on this?

Thanks,

Brandi