Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dealing with gastroparesis

I just got my surgery date for April 1st last friday. Today I went to the doctor because I have been having stomach problems so they ran some test, and I have gastroparesis. It is delayed emptying of the stomach. Basically my food just likes to sit in my stomach and just hang out instead of going where it needs to go causing me to be sick all the time. Has anyone dealt with this and had gastric bypass surgery or just dealt with it period? I get really nervous that it is going to screw up my surgery and I do not want that to happen. They are doing 1 more test just to make sure I dont have a blockage and if that comes back fine, then I will be making a call to the surgeon to let him know what is going on.

I also have Gastroparesis, and was wondering the same thing. I look forward to hearing from others with this.

I had gastroparesis. I remember telling my endocrinologist I thought I had it and him telling me I was over reacting. After my egd the WLS asked me when I ate last as I still had spaghetti noodles in my stomach. I told him 16 hours ago. Sent me for a emptying study and it came back severe gastroparesis. I originally was thinking about the sleeve but he felt it wasn't safe leaving the pyloric sphincter intact. Said making the stomach long and skinny with the sphincter would cause a lot of back pressure and put me at greater risk of leak. So we did RNY. No issues after surgery due to the gastroparesis. I get the expected restriction then I feel full but not the sickly feeling I got with food sitting there for 12+ hours. There are medications you can take for gastroparesis but they don't come without side effects.

@@UnRuLyJuLiE thank you for your response. It helps to know you had the gastroparesis and were still able to have the surgery. I was extremely worried that my surgery would be cancelled because of it. I am on medication right now to control it. Hopefully it gets better.

I had problems with it years ago - they gave me Propulcid, which has since been recalled due to nasty side effects. Worked for me.

Anyway - I haven't had problems with it is several years, so it was no a concern for surgery.

Get it dealt with, and surgery might be OK.

I called today and left a message at the doctors office about the gastroparesis. They called back and said that it should be fine and the Dr will talk with me about it during preop appointment which is on March 24th. I am so relieved. I was very worried that my surgery would be cancelled because of this.

The surgery may resolve it. I developed it after a weight loss surgery in 1989. As long as your surgeon is aware of it, he or she should be able to help. There is medicine you can take, but the one I had made me too sleepy.

I am taking medication for it now, but it cannot be taken long term because the longer you take it the higher risk there is of serious side effects

I am 100% sure I got it from victoza. Surgeon said if it was from something other than that then we would be most likely revising the sleeve to a rny

On 2/19/2015 at 7:39 PM, highdesertblue said:

The surgery may resolve it. I developed it after a weight loss surgery in 1989. As long as your surgeon is aware of it, he or she should be able to help. There is medicine you can take, but the one I had made me too sleepy.

Hi Desertblue-

I know this is a very old thread, 7 years, but I thought I'd take a chance. I had RNY about 6 months ago and I have had awful nausea that lasts a good 24 hours depending upon what I eat. My surgeon is thinking I have gastroparesis. I had a barium swallow and ruled out stricture and ulcer. I feel terrible pretty much all the time after eating. Was wondering if you could share how you have handled this.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Laura

I was sleeved in 2019 and developed Gastroparesis. I went from 240 to 125 but the vomiting is relentless. Now I am scheduled for a complete bypass 4/24 in hopes that it will relieve the symptoms. Would love to hear if revision had helped anyone else with Gastroparesis. My upcoming surgery is not for weight loss and strictly to relieve the vomiting and reflux but a tiny part of me is scared that I’ll gain weight once I heal.