Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting for removal

Almost 7 years since banded and I am awaiting removal. I've learned a great deal. The band has been a tremendous tutor. I'm not sure I fully knew or considered what it would be like to have the band when all the weight was gone and after so many years. My nurse did tell me they didn't really know how long bands lasted and that there was little research past 10 years at the time and so I was aware of that but it's tough to think so far forward when you are so anxiously consumed with getting your weight off. I think I still would have gone ahead even if they had told me I only had 5 years in it to be honest.

I lost all my weight quickly. I have been completely unfilled for about 4 years but about 18 months ago I started having some vague abdominal problems and the band started to behave erratically with some days feeling as tight as being filled and others wide open. It actually created maladaptive eating as I would eat sliders in order not to drop below 112 pounds, even though it made me feel physically sick. I had a few investigations but there was nothing showing up and I just tried to carry on hoping it would resolve itself.

About 6 months ago the acid reflux started, pain at night, constant nausea, sliming without eating, every mouth full of food sticking in my throat before it even got to the band and just an immensely sore chest. Medication only helped a little. My Barium swallows were all clear. Finally had the scope last week. I have severe eosophagitis and reflux, no erosion thankfully but they know they can't get the eosophagitis under control with the medication and it's just not resolving. I had never had reflux pre banding, it does seem to be a common complaint but that's not to say I wouldn't have had it anyway.

It's been great but the advantages are now being outweighed by constant pain and discomfort and so we have decided it's time for removal. I'm quite stoical about it. I've spent the last 18 months testing my various hypotheses about my eating as I knew it would need to come out somehow. Things I know are

1. I underestimate calories and overeat when not monitoring so need to be vigilant

2. I have developed maladaptive eating to counteract the inability to eat decent foods

3. If I vomit or can't eat, I crave sweet foods intensely, if I don't eat sweets I feel so much better

4. My maintenance calories are 1250 a day (I'm small and have a desk job)

5. The more I eat when I don't need it, the greater my capacity to eat and hunger pangs are

6. I want to nourish my body not feed it non food stuff which is more for my head

7. I miss solid Protein, salad and veg more than I ever imagined I could, I dream of salmon!

8. I need to keep moving

9. I'm still at risk of telling myself quite a lot of bs prior to eating stuff I don't need and so need to keep saying it out loud before it hits my mouth to check its not bs lol

10. Band eating rules are the best for health and maintenance, banded or not. My husband lost and has kept off 45 pounds independently just following them - no surgery.

We now have to wait and see if the application of that knowledge helps me to keep off the weight post un-banding. My whole life has changed since the band. I have a fabulous supportive husband and family who have confidence in me and want to help. I expect it to be an enormous challenge, I expect to be hungry and gain some back but point blank refuse to let it go past a certain point. I will not waste the £15k spent on my band and the plastics, that's just money I can't afford to lose, so wish me luck.........we will see! x

I'm sorry to read that you are experiencing band issues and are now facing removal, but wow! What a ton of self-knowledge you've noted here. Your words ring very true for me...many of your points are also mine (especially the knowledge of what your maintenance calories are.)

You are well-armed at keeping your weight off and I am confident you will. May your removal surgery go smoothly and enjoy your first meal of salmon. Please let us know how you are doing with your post-band life.

I'm sorry to read that you are experiencing band issues and are now facing removal, but wow! What a ton of self-knowledge you've noted here. Your words ring very true for me...many of your points are also mine (especially the knowledge of what your maintenance calories are.)

You are well-armed at keeping your weight off and I am confident you will. May your removal surgery go smoothly and enjoy your first meal of salmon. Please let us know how you are doing with your post-band life.

Thank you that's very kind and it has been an enlightening journey! I certainly will keep you updated.