Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Rules: Do you follow them?

I don't eat much bread, rice or Pasta, and I rarely drink alcohol. I still love the bread, rice, and Pasta, but the alcohol doesn't appeal much.

I drink plenty of coffee. It was a rule that I told them pre-op I was not planning to follow. I was cleared at 6 weeks to drink it. It interferes with Calcium absorption, but my Calcium level borders high with no supplements, so I just try not go nuts with it.

Honestly, I don't think pop or carbonation would really hurt the sleeve, but I still follow that rule just in case. I also don't think a straw would somehow stretch my stomach, but I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY love being thin, so I'm not taking chances with things that are not important to me ;)

I think i have followed every single rule mentioned in this thread, since they were ALL either mentioned by my nutritionist or found during my research. I think it was because I was so afraid of failure that I wanted to assure any failure wouldn't be something of my own doing. Once I hit goal weight, my nutritionist recommended going into 'maintenance mode', which is a new set of rules in itself, since you hit the 'I'm at goal...now what???' mentality. Also I lost a bit of muscle which I'd like to gain back, but at the same time I don't want to gain back too much weight.

Conclusion...it was, is, and continues to be a constantly learning process!!

I follow about 95% of the rules. Life happens and I learned not to stress. if friends want to go out for pizza, I go and enjoy a couple pieces of thin crust pizza. Big deal! We got this band for life and the idea was to teach us not to consume food to excess, but to learn how to eat normally. I still weigh all my food, it is more of a habit than a necessity. Yes, I hop on the scale every morning, gotta keep myself honest. More importantly, you have to do what works for you!

I was allowed caffeine at 30 days post-op and even though I counted down the days, I was good and didn't have any before then.

I've been greats at most of the rules:

Protein first

No grazing

Getting 8 cups of Water a day

Getting between 80 and 100 grams of Protein a day

No soda

No straws

Taking all my Vitamins (I take a LOT)

No drinking for 20 minutes after eating

The ones I've been a little lax on:

I eat fast

I eat in front of the TV or computer

I didn't exercise for a good three months, but I'm back on track there

I've taken Ibuprofen a couple of times, it's in the Exedrin that's the only thing that helps my headaches

I drank some beer once while at an office party

I think i have followed every single rule mentioned in this thread, since they were ALL either mentioned by my nutritionist or found during my research. I think it was because I was so afraid of failure that I wanted to assure any failure wouldn't be something of my own doing. Once I hit goal weight, my nutritionist recommended going into 'maintenance mode', which is a new set of rules in itself, since you hit the 'I'm at goal...now what???' mentality. Also I lost a bit of muscle which I'd like to gain back, but at the same time I don't want to gain back too much weight.

Conclusion...it was, is, and continues to be a constantly learning process!!

Oh and yes...what I did NOT mention are where I am relaxing...

I do eat sweets every now and then

I eat starches (in VERY limited quantities)

I have relaxed a little bit on the waiting 30 minutes between eating and drinking

Everything else has seemed to become old habit, so sticking to pretty much all the other rules have become second nature.

I've pretty much stick to the rules as in I don't ever touch soda or anything carbonated.. I do drink Decaf iced coffee about 3times a week I don't eat bread or rice or Pasta and I take my Vitamins everyday I'm 1 year 1 month post op and uv lost 145 pound and 20 of it was on the preop liquid diet but I just want to learn new ways to stay on track ???? good job everyone

This is a great thread - thanks all for sharing!

My achilles heel is sweets and I've been overindulging too much lately. This is a good reminder to reign that in.

I follow these rules:

• Daily tracking of everything i eat
  • Avoid carbs as much as poss - focus on Protein and veggies for the most part and try to do complex carbs when i eat them
  • I had started with a 100-calorie limit for sweets - and only eat them after a protein-filled meal. I've been going over that lately, so again, need to reign it in
  • I don't graze, but I do sometimes snack - mostly before and after the gym
  • I don't have set rules about exercise, but I go as often as I can - usually about 3x a week (combo of strength and cardio) plus I walk a lot. At this point I crave the gym - I worked till 8pm last night and went afterwards because I really needed the stress release, so this has become a part of my life
  • I avoid drinking 30 mins after a meal - but not always before...
  • Don't use straws or drink anything carbonated
  • Get at least 60 grams of Protein a day - I'm eating more now, so it's usually over 100
  • Drink at least 64oz of Water a day
  • Don't always eat mindfully, but try to! I am "mindful" in my food choices - I try to stay in touch with what my body is wanting; the challenge is differentiating the body need from the head/sugar addict craving...

So far this is working for me, but need to stay on track with sugar if I'm going to make it to goal...

My first rule was broken in the hospital. I couldn't seem to get even a little Water down. The PA came in a put a straw in my chicken broth and said just sip, sip, sip. Straws are now a part of my life. I could not get my Water down without a straw. I try to eat my Protein first but my mouth loves blended flavors so I always seem to eat a little of whatever the side items are along with my Protein. I do have a morning snack and an afternoon snack. Usually almonds. Twice a week I allow myself a Lindt chocolate truffle. My Doctor told me don't deny myself anything that I really think that I want to taste just be mindful of how much. Things that I used to think were so good (birthday cake) are just not as appealing since I know if I really want it I can have it. Saving the calorie for the chocolate Truffle is much more appealing. I always account for all of calories since I don't weigh my food I always go on the high side. So far I am down 40 lbs. I know the next 40 are going to be much harder but I am prepared.

The "rules" as they were explained to me...
Protein first
No drinking 30 minutes before or after meals
72 or more grams Protein per day
Take your Vitamins on schedule
Avoid grazing
64 ounces or more of fluids per day
Measure or weigh food
No straws
No gum
No carbonation
No alchohol until you're in maintenance
Journaling can be a good tool. Try it.
Protein first - Yep, usually, but I like variety so I still supplement 1-2x per day
No drinking 30 minutes before or after meals- Yep. It makes me uncomfortable so I don't do it.
72 or more grams protein per day - Usually more
Take your Vitamins on schedule - Always. Have a timer on my phone to remind me of my mid day dose
Avoid grazing - I should do better
64 ounces or more of fluids per day - I should do better
Measure or weigh food - I often still do this when at home. Started out as a self-defence technique, (overdoing HURTS), now it's more of an anti-waste technique
No straws - Wasn't a big straw person before. Don't use them much now but they don't bother me
No gum - occasionally
No carbonation - No soda. Ever. Makes me uncomfortable. Occasionally I will do a Guinness which is very lightly carbonated.
No alchohol until you're in maintenance - I think I waited till month 4 to try it at all. I drank occasionally during my loss, counting the calories. Today I drink socially, usually not more than 1 or 2 if I'm out with friends. More makes my tummy hurt\too full\icky\etc.
Journaling - While I was losing and for the first 6 months of maintenance I food\exercise journaled religiously so I could understand what was going in\wht I was burning and know I was meeting my protein goals. Eventaully after several months of maintenance I made a concious decision to stop as is felt more like a crutch than a tool. (I have calories left so I can have whatever I want OR Look at me! I exercised again today). I wanted to live these things naturally if I could do that and still maintain succesfully. It's working so far, but I WILL go back to the journal if I slip outside my 10 pound goal range. Hasn't happened so far.

I don't think I was ever told about no straws. While in the hospital everything was in a straw. I haven't used one since week one, so it's not an issue. I do a little caffeine. I asked about gum because my diet breath is awful. Dr. said it was ok but to make sure I never swallowed it as that would cause trouble. I have sipped a small amount of wine twice, while drinking Water. I have had whole wheat toast with PB for Breakfast with no issues, but I can't finish a whole piece. I avoid rice and Pasta. If I want a bite of a sweet, I have a bite. But I've really lost my taste for sweets.

I follow about 95%. So I think it's easier to say what I am not so good at.

• Eating slowly
  • Not multitasking while eating
  • I still have something sweet a couple of times a week. I am not really a chips or alcohol person. It's usually the cookie, or donut that get's me. Because of this I do workout 7 days a week. And I do extreme workouts like Insanity, P90x and spin except once a week I do yoga.

My doctor/nutritionist has never said I had to track or weigh my food so I don't. I just always have Protein with my food and focus on that. I am also allowed coffee so I only have 1 cup a day. I put 115 as my goal weight but honestly I wore a pair of 0P jeans to work today and lot's of people commented that I didn't need to lose any more. I have an apt with my surgeon and nutritionist on the 24 so we'll see what they say. I am also interested to see my levels to make sure nothings out of whack.

Great job everyone. None of us are perfectionist and this is a lifestyle change and not a diet so I feel pretty good about the changes I've made. And with that I will say I am having one slice of pizza for dinner tonight as we are having family over that has no idea I did WLS.

TGIF-

LA

I am a rule breaker! Lol, as I was reading everyone's rules, I realize I follow pretty much none of them. I think part of the reason for this is that I was self-pay, so the extent to which anyone told me the rules was to give me a packet of papers that I was supposed to read, which I eventually got around to, but never really listened to much after the first few weeks post-op.

My "rule-breaks" are:

• I use straws because it was the only way I could get in enough Fluid and my surgeon told me to go for it.
  • I drink diet coke..like a fiend. And coffee...And Red Bull.
  • I always drink when I eat.
  • I graze, because otherwise I can't eat enough without throwing up.
  • Sometimes I eat bread, though not very often- not because it's a rule, but because it invariably makes me sick.
  • I eat while I work and while I watch tv- mindful eating, what's that!
  • Sometimes I hit my Protein goal, sometimes I don't.
  • I don't take Vitamins everday (except B12 and Iron because being anemic was not very fun.

The things that I do do though are:

• I do keep track of most everything I eat in MyFitnessPal
  • I workout almost everyday.
  • I weigh myself everyday- which has been good for me.
  • I avoid sweets most of the year- they tend to make me sick, and when they don't I will just eat them way to much.
  • I try to eat small meals frequently throughout the day.
  • No gum- mostly because I never liked it, not really because I intentionally don't chew it.
  • I do get 64oz of Fluid a day- probably almost twice that- it's just usually not Water.

I think everyone has a system that works for them. I am fortunate in that everything with fat or sugar makes me barf, as do most Proteins, and bread- so while I break a lot of rules, half the rules I follow just because I'm tired of puking. So, clearly my stomach knew I was not a rule follower and decided to help me out with the process! :)

Edited by AvaFern

I think I'm pretty good at following the rules. It wasn't fear of it not working but I am typically the one to have side effects. I was obedient because I wanted to do my part to ensure I had a positive outcome. I am also keenly aware of how much of a slippery slope not following the rules can be. Consequently I constantly try to walk that balance between being reasonable and following the rules.

So, this is where I stand:

I do the following (95% or more of the time)

• No grazing
  • No drinking 30 minutes before or after meals
  • Protein first
  • 65 or more grams Protein per day
  • Take Vitamins as prescribed
  • 64 ounces or more of fluids per day
  • Stop eating when full
  • No straws (I never really used them to begin with)
  • Nothing carbonated ( I gave up sodas 3 years ago)
  • Go to support group meetings (not a requirement, but a suggestion)
  • Practice mindful eating. However I do eat while watching TV. It works for me because I use it to time my eating. If it's a ½ show. I try to make my food last for the duration of the show. I am also careful to take small bites.
  • Keep a food diary. I watch my macros. I get more from looking at things like sodium and carb levels. I don't weigh frequently because the scale make me crazy. I can usually predict a gain or stall by what I am eating. It's a juggling act because being a vegetarian, I eat a lot of Beans. It's easy for my carbs to get really high, especially if I eat over 70gms of protein.
  • Exercise regularly. I'm currently working out 4 days a week, but I think I'm going to take it up to 5 or 6. I'm finding that I really only need Sunday's off. The rest of the time I'm just bored.
  • I avoid "white carbs" - potatoes, Pasta, white rice, breads & crackers. I have had homefries 2 times and basmati rice once since being sleeved. I have a long way to go so I think I'm going to avoid them until I hit maintenance.

I don't do the following

• Avoid caffeine. I don't drink it every day, but I was cleared after 6 weeks out. I probably have coffee 2 or 3 days a week.
  • Weigh daily or even weekly. The scale drives me crazy and I start living for the scale. This is about health more than being thinner so I prefer to focus on eating well and exercising.
  • Weigh my food. I realize that sounds crazy for someone who studies their food diary like I do, but I just don't.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I have caffeine once or twice a week in small doses. A beer now and then, again in moderation.

I run 3 times a week and as yet have not worked out the 5 days I want to, but I'm running hard up to 5 miles. I need to add weights.

I've eaten beef, several small bites. It goes down ok if you chew it well.

I have carbonation a couple of times a week, doesn't affect me--especially if I pour it in a glass. But small sips from a can are fine.

I think it really depends on how you feel. I don't think a little carb or beer infrequently will do any harm--use some common sense and don't get slavish to "the rules", but certainly be careful and don't ignore them either.

By the way, I can't eat dry food without some small amount of liquid, so I drink a little with meals. It hasn't affected my weight loss or feeling hungry.

All these rules are like being Catholic, you get all the little ceremonies to keep you "holy" but we're all sinners, and a little sin ain't that bad fer ya.