Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had to have an emergency unfill

Hello everyone, just wanted to start by saying CHEW CHEW and CHEW some more. Yesterday I was eating lunch and talking on the phone(I normally don't do) and apparently did not chew enough or took a bite too soon and had a stacking situation. I noticed the stuck feeling right away and a few minutes later had to make a mad dash to the bathroom (this was at work). Thought I would be ok after that but NO after a few minutes the pressure returned in my back area and the throat area felt like a ball was in it. Again ran to the bathroom this time didn't make it, this went on for about 30 minutes. Lots of sliming after the first two trips to the bathroom, my boss just gave me a trash can and said go for it(eww). Called doctor and they suggested I jump up and down to try and dislodge it, it helped me a little but still had that something just is not right. Called doctor back and they told me to come in for an emergency unfill and I would feel relief right away. On my way to the doctor I start feeling better and figured it finally either worked it way down or I had finally brought it up. Was going to call and let her know but I decided it was better to get checked out to be on the safe side. Get to the office(after hours) and she takes a look at my band through fluoroscope(sp?) and I drank some barium and we could see it just sitting above the band and slowly going through. She did an unfill with most of the 5cc that taken out. I again drank more barium and this time it went down much better BUT because of all the heaving I had tissue overhanging the band. This will eventually go back to normal and the tissue will return to the inside of the band. If I had not gone it was a possibility that this would have been caught much later and possibly interfered with my continued weight loss. Other patients of hers had this and did not come in for awhile and when they did the tissue was not able to all return to the inside of the band. Crazy stuff but wanted to share and remind everyone to CHEW CHEW and CHEW and CHEW some more. This was an AWFUL experience and I have vowed never to eat broccoli from the Chinese place ever again!! Now I have to wait 3.5 weeks and she will reevaluate if everything looks good she will add more Fluid at that time. If not it will be another 3-4 weeks. I explained how TERRIFIED I am of gaining weight during these next weeks knowing that I have very little restriction. She says this is the time where I will need to use what I have learned from surgery to now and exercise. I had thought about going back on the pre-op until then but she recommended that I eat normal as I would if my band still had 5cc's in it. I have to tell you all I AM TERRIFIED of gaining any weight. My weight loss has come to a halt and that has been discouraging me. My clothes fit looser and my medical issued keep improving but I had wanted my 1 year anniversary of deciding to change my life (not from surgery) to be a 100 pound loss. In the past year I have come off my insulin pump to oral meds/lantus, bp meds have decreased, and no cholesterol meds. I'm at 84 and my anniversary is in 17 days. Thanks for bearing with me I know this was long but I wanted to share my experience in hopes it may help someone that might get into this situation.

Rose

Wow! Great advice and that must have been scary for you!! Glad everything is ok!

Hang in there! Remember our band is only a tool...you lost the weight!

The doc is right! Time to use everything you have learned!

YOU GOT THIS!

Also congrats on your weight loss!!! Amazing!

Glad they got it fixed. Good luck staying on course. You got this!!!

Congrats to you on your weight loss and for listening to your gut and going to the doctor.

Don't look at reaching your anniversary not having lost 100 lbs but a celebration of the 87 you have already taken off.

Sounds like you have some time before you get a fill again….so do what the doc says and eat as if your band is filled that way…and do it mentally as well. Plan your meals and eat like you are still filled…and drink a lot to fill you to….

Our minds are amazing things….sometimes I firmly believe mind over matter….you can do this….and even if you make it through this time as maintenance what a victory that would be for you.

I say this from dieting all of my life….with my band now when i "plateau" or "just don't lose" I take that as a success especially when i can just maintain…for in the past that would have definitely been pounds packing back on…...

That won't happen to you because you know what you have to do…don't let the fear rule you…YOU RULE IT!

YOU GOT THIS….KEEP US POSTED!

Thank you all for the support. I'm doing well and have dropped two pounds I had picked up. Taking things one day at a time and walking my minimum of 5 miles a day with added cardio at least 3 times a week. Been enjoying my Arnold thin sandwich for lunch. Arnold thin bun with mayo, ham, cheese and pickles Once I get filled not taking any chances with the Arnold thin bun. Again, thank you all for your support