Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with steak?

I love steak, but - don't beat me up - I can't get past the appearance of it when it isn't well done. For the most part, I consider myself a pretty good cook, but I've never mastered the art of making a good well done steak at home. It always turns out like Jerky. I know it can be done, I've eaten it at restaurants and it's been chewable, lol.

This morning, I basically had a beef chip with my egg. I've eaten pretzels that had less crunch.

Anyone have suggestions for cuts, cooking methods, seasoning, or anything else? The only thing I can't do is broil, of course - the broiler on my stove is absolutely terrifying. Unless there's a way to do that in the non-broiler part of the oven?

I cook steak and pork loin the same way..

Rub meat in "Instant coffee" and a tblsp. of "Soy Sauce" put in zip lock back for an hour, better yet if you do the day before...take out bake at 275 for a couple of hours depending on how well you want it cooked, take out of oven and sear each side for 3 minutes each.

Perfect steak or pork loin and the most juiciest!!
Serve with baby spinach salad with craisins, lil bacon bits, corn bread croutons and balsamic dressing.

Thanks! I have an "everything on 350" habit - it never occurred to me to turn the oven down, lol. The marinade sounds delicious.

My husband likes burgers and steak well done so I sear on a cast Iron skillet and then cover and turn down the heat. The cover will keep some of the juice in. Make sure to take it off the heat before it's too done and let it rest. It will keep cooking while resting. And you might invest in a meat thermometer so you know when it's done before it's jerkied.

We live in beef country! Our steak actually came from my sister's farm. We have an indoor Hamilton Beach grill/panini press that we use in the winter, otherwise we grill it outside. My husband might argue grilled is the only way to have steak! ;)

@@Eclectick what does the instant coffee do? I have never heard of that for steak marinade before??!?! Can you taste the coffee when you cook it?

Some great ideas here! Except for @@LipstickLady, who wants my beef to fight back when I try to stab it with the fork. Let's talk again when I'm 100 pounds down and stand a chance of catching it if it gets away, eh? :D

All kidding aside, if you really want tasty tender steak that is well well done (shudder), go to your deli counter and ask for 1/2 pound of roast beef or top round. It's the meat you crave, no cooking required, you can have it sliced paper thin and it's still tender enough for you to chew.

I buy roast beef all the time, chop it up, quick fry it with onions, top with provolone or Mozzarella and have steak and cheese for dinner.

All kidding aside, if you really want tasty tender steak that is well well done (shudder), go to your deli counter and ask for 1/2 pound of roast beef or top round. It's the meat you crave, no cooking required, you can have it sliced paper thin and it's still tender enough for you to chew.

I buy roast beef all the time, chop it up, quick fry it with onions, top with provolone or Mozzarella and have steak and cheese for dinner.

Now that was interesting! I'll have to give that a try!

@@LipstickLady "Next time someone asks you how much you weigh, tell them one hundred and sexy."

^^^^^I love it! I will definitely remember that one!

Beef and pork have always been an issue for me but I found a very band friendly way to cook both. Take a 1/3 cup of olive oil or you can use canola I like olive oil for the flavor. I take all my seasonings which are seasoning salt, black pepper, garlic, onion powder, finely diced onion and any other seasonings you like. Mix them with the olive oil. I don't measure anything I just put what I think is enough. Poke holes in your beef and pour the mixture over the meat and into the holes. Let it marinade for the day or over night and you will never have dry beef or pork again.

The roast beef idea sounds good - I've been doing that with no salt added turkey, but it never occurred to be to try with beef. And the oil marinade sounds good, too!

Thanks for all the help. Even my dog had a hard time finishing off my leftovers tonight, lol

The roast beef idea sounds good - I've been doing that with no salt added turkey, but it never occurred to be to try with beef. And the oil marinade sounds good, too!

Thanks for all the help. Even my dog had a hard time finishing off my leftovers tonight, lol

Try different brands, too. I love Boar's Head meat but I do NOT like Boar's Head Roast Beef at all. It's flavorless. Don't avoid the rare if you are going to cook it, either. If you have it sliced really thin, it will cook in seconds.

Thanks! That's a good point - I'd wind up crisping my lunchmeat, lol.