Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long was your hospital stay?

Discharged and out shopping and sightseeing about 18 hours after surgery.

I was the first surgery of the morning, went home the next night.

My surgery was December 30th at 7am . I was released January 1 . So 3 days total .

I stayed two nights, which was a blessing in disguise. I was so miserable the day after surgery that it was nice having people help me

I was in for two much needed nights to establish a good routine for meds and liquids. I simply felt more secure there than at home.

I had an afternoon surgery (1:00 p.m.) so it was expected I would stay that night and one additional. It all depended on how I did. I didn't do so well. Everything that went into my stomach caused sever stomach pains, including the liquid pain meds. I wasn't able to get anything down until late on the 2nd night. I went home after three nights. It was depressing, and I REALLY wanted to get out of the hospital. Don't get me wrong, the staff at the hospital was WONDERFUL. They were caring and VERY responsive. So, expectations don't always work out. I am better at home, but having a hard time motivating to walk more than once a day. I know it is important, but I am only used to walking the dog 1x a day! You will do great! Patience, patience, patience. I lost 16 pounds since I checked into the hospital. It is hard to tell, since my stomach area is still so bloated.

I was sleeved on a Monday, home my Wednesday afternoon, and clothes shopping on Friday...mainly to get my waking in! Wonderful recovery time!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

Wow! What a great recovery! Do you suppose it has to do with my being 51? I remember recoverying from my C-Section quite quickly when I was 34. Congrats on your wonderful new life!

I feel very fortunate. My surgeon has everyone on round the clock IV anti-nausea meds so I never experienced any of that. My surgery was at 3:30 in the afternoon and I was discharged around 4PM the next day.

For me I went home the next day though I sure missed the pain meds

I stayed two nights - went in on a Tuesday morning and went home around lunchtime on that Thursday. My surgeon requires all VSG patients to stay two nights to monitor nausea issues. I fortunately did not have any except for one time when they gave me some pain medicine in the middle of the night, but I still had to stay both nights. I was thankful for that.

I have been absolutely complication free since surgery. I stayed 3 nights and 4 days. It's my doctors practice. I was happy as a lark! I lucked out and got a private room.

I also had day surgery. In at 5:00AM, surgery at 7:00AM, then once I was out of recovery(don't remember the time) they kept pushing me to drink and walk and all I wanted to do was sleep. ( they were obviously pushing me so I could leave quicker ). I actually yelled at the nurse and said I'm not doing anything until I slept some more. So I slept a little more, drank my required amount of sips, took a walk around the floor, went to the bathroom and I was cleared to go home. Around 1pm.

I felt ok, but I really would have preferred staying the night, and left alone.