Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Citerra... Pain in the b...

Hello!!

I plan to have my surgery done in Mexico through A Lighter Me on February 28th.

Last week I decided to apply for a loan through Citerra. I put my boyfriend as first signer. He makes 45k /year. I also work but it's only a part time. So I don't make that much. We asked for 6000 (4300 surgery plus flights and money to take to Mexico in case of an emergency)

Gen, the person who is helping us with the loan contacted us the next day after applying. She asked us for boyfriends paycheck stub, and mine. She said she could only get us 5300. (Boyfriend did not like this because he has a good credit and pay on time) I said it was ok. We sent her the documents. She was being so positive, saying that everything looked great... etc. Today she called us and told us that she can only get us 3,000 something dollars. I asked her what happened she said something about the debt income ratio

I said " look my boyfriend works, I work and I also have my mother who makes 2000 monthly and is going to help me too."

She somehow thought that I wasn't working... or was lying to her because she asked me again about a recent paycheck stub. (I sent her my w2 form) Then she asked me to send her a proof of my boyfriends address.

I told her that it was ok if she could get me the 3000sh because I already had pay the surgery down payment (500) out of my pocket and that I only needed 3800... she didn't seem to understand, and told me not to worry because she was going to try to get me more money. Even when I insisted it was ok. Because I used my savings for the down and now for the flight tickets (since I will go alone it will be less money to spend and I wont need a lot of money)

I sent her my boyfriend bank statement as an address proof and also let her know once again that it was OK. That I didn't need the money I requested because I've had already paid 500... I also let her know that I couldn't wait for them to lend the money because my surgery date is coming.

What should I expect?

Any thoughts will be helpful.

I just hated that she would say or ask for something different every time she calls me or email me.

Well, Citerra is kind of the Loan Shark of all lenders. I almost went with them prior to just draining my savings. If you can, I would really try to get a loan through a credit union, a credit card or somewhere else.

If you are that desperate and cannot get a loan anywhere else (Hey, it happens- been there done that!), just know that they charge SUPER high interest and you are going to end up paying WAY more than the loan amount. I asked for $4600 and the total to re-pay was going to be $7300. Yikes.

Also- it sounds like you are getting some red flags as far as being told one thing, and then getting another...when borrowing money- always listen to your gut.

Are you going to have a tax refund? Can you maybe use that, some out of pocket cash and get a credit card or small loan from somewhere else?

Before I drained my savings, I tried Citerra (approved but TOO high of a repayment amount), was denied for a credit union loan, was denied for a credit card limit increase and than just decided to use my savings...every penny.

Hang in there!

I recently read a post on here by someone who was financing through BeLiteWeight.com (not affiliated),

and she got reasonable financing through them. IRCC they have their own financing. I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out more.

HTH!

Edited by peteyrulz

I used Lending Tree and they search for loans and ended up getting a loan through Lending Club which is a peer to peer loan. They gave me a great rate.

I don't know what to do since my surgery is on the 28th. I haven't received my tax refund yet...

I only had 1000 in my saving account. I used 500 for the down payment. ???? If they come up with another sh..t I will just cancel the loan. Did they charge you for cancelling the loan?

It looks like I got approved. They are charging 2000'sh (including Citerra's fee $800) for $3800... so the total is 6907... I'm ok with that (not completely ok)

Gen (Citerra) told me she will be able to pay ALM tomorrow. Janese is also requesting my flight information and the documents she sent me to fill out. I haven't booked my flight because I wanted to make sure that I was going to get the loan.

Do they have a pre-payment penalty? If you pay it off early do they charge ALL the interest?

Their terms are outrageous but I guess there's a good market for folks (like me, with a chapter13) who have poor credit.

Good luck! Let us know about your surgery afterwards.

I don't know about the pre payment penalty but there's a sentence on the agreement that says "I have the right to pay in advance the full amount due"

so even if you pay it off tmrw, the total due is still $6907?

Jenng25. I have a friend going the 27th:-) to alm.

Edited by spiritedcowgirl63

so even if you pay it off tmrw, the total due is still $6907?

that's what I would like to know ????

What's her name?

I have a question. I got approved, I only requested 3800 and the total is 6907!!! If I decide to pay off the 3800 in less than a year, will I have to pay the rest of the money too?

Yes, the total loan is $6907 and that is what you will have to pay back. They will allow you a certain time frame (usually 1-4 years) to pay it back. You can pay off the balance early, but your balance will still be $6907. Plus interest. The couple of grand they tack on is a 'bank fee' that they charge you because of the 'high risk' you pose. That is why I didn't go with them, that was too much added on for me to be able to deal with.

But like mentioned above, sometimes a place like Citerra is your only choice for financing due to credit or other factors. You will need to decide if you are OK with those terms, or would rather save up a bit longer, or fund the smaller amount a different way.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck :)

Yes, the total loan is $6907 and that is what you will have to pay back. They will allow you a certain time frame (usually 1-4 years) to pay it back. You can pay off the balance early, but your balance will still be $6907. Plus interest. The couple of grand they tack on is a 'bank fee' that they charge you because of the 'high risk' you pose. That is why I didn't go with them, that was too much added on for me to be able to deal with.

But like mentioned above, sometimes a place like Citerra is your only choice for financing due to credit or other factors. You will need to decide if you are OK with those terms, or would rather save up a bit longer, or fund the smaller amount a different way.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck :)

Omg!!!! Anyways, I didn't have the money right now. And my 1 year savings 1000'sh I used it for the down payment and the flight. (It was painful but I plan to put it back asap) . I haven't gotten my refund yet.. so this was my only option.

I'm trying not to think about it too much because it makes me feel like I was robbed.

I want to see the positive side of the situation by comparing prices. I went to three different seminars, hospital 1 was 20,000, hospital 2 19,000, hospital 3 18,000, hospital 4 11,000 (no seminar, Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo). So, practically this was the lowest price I could get. It kinda hurts because of the amount of money they are charging me. I'm learning from the experience lol.

Thank you so much for the info. I already booked the flight, asked for the days off at my new job, they said it was ok!!!! that was my main concern. (I haven't started working yet, but I hope they don't forget about me, I'm already hired, I'm just not working yet). It's the 28th! I'll be arriving in San Diego the day before. Wish me luck.