Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else hungry so soon after surgery, or is it just me?

I feel like I am going nuts !! I am 12 days post op, and I am starving. At my first post op appointment this past week, my doctor told me to go on to pureed foods (cause if I ate another Soup I was going to die :wacko: :blink: ) So I began with 4 spoons of egg beaters for Breakfast which was fine going down, then for dinner I ate fish(not so fine going down). The next day I had the same for Breakfast, but for lunch I tried mashed bananas, it was ok. I also drink my usual Protein shakes, and my Water. Even though I have made these small changes in adding these foods, I still feel very hungry and wishing I could eat other foods. Please tell me I am not alone here :(

You are not alone. You just need to make sure you are eating Protein first. Sounds like you are, though. I lived on fat free greek yogurt mixed with sugar free Jello for flavor. And cottage cheese. High Protein. Protein helps keep the hunger away. You'll survive! Drink your Water and Protein shakes and drinks and try to reflect on if this is stomach hunger or head hunger (or both!! lol).

Best of luck to you.

Edited by esskay77

Thanks. I really am starting to think this hunger might be after all "Head Hunger". If it is, then I know I will have to be extremely careful in knowing the differences between real, and fake hunger.

I'm almost 3 weeks post op & hunger hasn't been an issue. What is tough is watching my family eat all the yummy food I wish I was. Keep strong. It will pass. And you are NOT alone.

Edited by gabbys_mom

I am 3 weeks out today and have been experiencing hunger. Mostly when I first wake up in the morning- I can't wait to get in 1/2 Protein shake or something quick and easy. However, I have been managing my hunger by having at least 5 meals a day and making sure each one is a good source of Protein. Two of my meals a day are 1/2 of the Premier Protein ready to drink shake at 15 g each. I then try to get in a Oikos triple zero greek yogurt at 15 g. right there I have 45 g of protein. Then for my other two meals I will mix it up with whatever I am trying new for the day. I was just released to start introducing soft moist meats. So, I made some tuna salad with an egg and light mayo, I baked some fish for another meal, etc. So, all my meals are basically protein and very little else.

Good luck!

Thanks. I really am starting to think this hunger might be after all "Head Hunger". If it is, then I know I will have to be extremely careful in knowing the differences between real, and fake hunger.

In my case its head hunger and its hard to tell them apart (from stomach hunger which I feel in my case its gone).

I am with you. I had surgery 2/10 and I'm so hungry. I'm sick of these Protein Shakes and would kill for a scrambled egg or cottage cheese!

Oh my gosh! I'm so with you! Same surgery date, too! Scrambled eggs never sounded so good! I'm also fantasizing about chicken! Never thought that would happen! ????

Go for a walk around the block, write in a journal, walk around 2 blocks, drink Water when not eating something and walk some more. If you keep yourself distracted it will work. Also, what helped me was to wait 45 min until you drink something after eating. I found I drank too fast and didn't allow the food to really make me feel full. I go outside, here in Calif it is 70 degrees, and just sit in the sun and play with my dog.

These small things seem to help, along with cleaning out a drawer, or some type of distraction. I also tried to not eat artificial sweeteners as they made me feel hungry like diet soda did.