Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd times the charm?

I have had my lap band for a few yrs now. It's been empty. Just there, not being used. I won't go into the back story, lets just say there was no support, no way to get it adjusted, I was basically given the surgery and left out in the cold. But that is the past.

Fast forward to 6 days ago....Finally a doctor who is beyond an expert in lap bands! He's amazing! I had to go to radiology & under xray to find the port....I got to see the lap band & got to see it in action!! I drank that ickky blah white chalky stuff *just a few sips* & could see Exactly how the band works!! I highly recommend this!! I could see it working!! I now have support and a doctor who can do adjustments/fills
I am not alone anymore!! I could also FEEL the fills...they went up to 8CC & I got heartburn/pain until they took it down to 4CC i didn't know that happened OR that I could feel it! It was such an eye opening experience!
So my journey finally starts...
I have 10CC band....it has 4CC in it liquid goes down although I notice I can't take as much liquid in one swallow as I was able to.
I haven't really figured out what I can & can not eat or how much of . It's trial & error for the time being as I notice on here everyone is different as to what they can tolerate food & quantity wise.
I haven't been eating very much over the last 6 days...I did do a lot of throwing up...trying to figure out how/what.how much to eat....
I feel very restricted but NOT hungry very often. I find it really hard to NOT drink liquids when eating...I have to break that habit...which won't be hard as the result is throwing up :blink:
I was told to eat 3 meals a day + 2 planned Snacks....but ah...that isn't really working out for me....I am getting in 1 meal a day, no Snacks, lots of liquids. (Water, low cal sugar free juice)
I guess my question is: anyone else not able to eat that much? I'm Not starving, I eat when I feel hungry, I also noticed I eat Very Small amounts, and I mean SMALL and I'm full....does that happen to anyone else?
I don't want to fail, but i want to make sure I am getting enough nutrition.
& I do have to make my food like MUSH from chewing before swallowing or it gets stuck the doctor told me that it can be 30+ chews he said a piece of steak the size of a thumbnail can take 100 chews before swallowing!! **guess who won't be having steak anytime soon**
Should I just keep on the way I am? anyone else have this issue? I will be going back in month for follow up....meanwhile I just wanted to know if anyone else eats this small amnt and is ok

First, let me say, I am so happy for you to finally have the professional help and support that you needed from the start. Some people on the board will not understand this, hey did you not do your research on the dr/ facility better, bla, bla, bla! Bottom line is, it happens folks! Band is placed and no follow up, no nutritionist, no support group.

My opinion, is just that, an opinion. It actually sounds like you are in a good place. If you are hungry, eat, if you are not, don't. If you throw up, do a few days of liquids to let that irritation settle down. Put your eating utinsel down after every bite. Most importantly, savor each bite of whatever you choose to eat. Don't fight your band, if it's saying no way today, well, try another day. Drink your Water 1/2 hour or so before your meal, stop putting a glass of something in front of you until you can ignore it. Haha, in a restaurant, fill it full of salt water- that will teach you quick!

You can live off your body fat for at least 6 months or more, take your Vitamins, eat what you can, enjoy seeing the scale go down, and then start to figure out nutrious foods and drinks. Most did not get obese by eating healthy. ???? I'm thrilled for you! Now go for it!

You sound like you are exactly where you should be, which is exactly where I want to be!!!!! Great post Kitt3000

Oh my goodness, so happy for you. I don't eat much nowadays and sort of can't believe it.

And, just saying, had blood work up done a week ago - PERFECT. So who's to say how much or little is enough? Or do we rely on test results? It's what we do when the docs medicate us for something...right?

I had my last fill 5 weeks ago and for the first couple of weeks I didn't think it was that much of a difference. Figured I would need another fill at my next appointment. But about 3 weeks ago I started to notice that my appetite was so much smaller and has been getting less and less everyday. As a matter of fact I haven't been hungry for the past three days at all. I haven't had any of the problems that you have described. So glad you have finally found the support you needed from the beginning. Good luck on your journey

Kitt3000.....lol...Yes I suppose people can say about research blah blah blah...but sometimes no matter how much research is done one can still wind up out in the cold. I prefer to leave the past in the past and look forward. I only said that bit because I'm not starting right out the gate from surgery and I figured I had to explain that ....

I have been following your advice to put the utensil down to enjoy each bite to not fight the band....it's kind of like learning how to eat all over again I do like the salt Water idea! LOL Thank you for you advice & input :)

Thank you Louluch & Bandista

Pat-rice mine was empty...I can totally feel it, glad you are not having my problems, I think though once I get the hang of eating properly I will be Ok. I just have to keep reminding myself until it's 2nd nature.

I think you are correct Kitt3000 that everyone IS different, I think we need to rely on what our own bodies are "telling" us...I am going to eat when hungry to work with the band...I will take Vitamins that I was told by doc to take I follow up with him every 4-5 wks and as long as blood work is A-Ok and I'm losing weight...then I will be happy

If your blood work is Perfect that's awesome! I am going to just "go with the flow" for now & listen to my body...course I am going to be in shock for awhile over how little I eat LOL...it just doesn't seem possible LOL

Thank you everyone for the advice and kind words :-) I will be on here and keep you updated..I will post any changes in my weight.

I suppose as with everything else, everyone loses it at a different pace.

**UPDATE**

2 Weeks:

Hi all :-) been 14 days now...had a few "ups" as in oh my gaaaawd UP comes everything...UGH...

I would forget and Not chew and/ or take a drink of Water, then Whamo....throwing up...OUCH... :wacko:

4CC's seems to be OK...I feel restricted but NOT uncomfortable...it was at first for a few days, I think that

maybe the area was just irritated? it is Fine since Unless I forget to chew....did I mention OUCH?? :blink:

I Won't be weighing myself....I don't want to discourage myself, I just want to get the "hang" of using the band

and I think that weighing myself will deter from it right now that's just my opinion of it.

I will get weighed when I see doctor on March 5th :-) I will post results. **If I were to "guess" right now....Yup I've lost weight....tho no idea how much**

I am not hungry all the time, :D I did notice if I don't get Protein in at EVERY meal, then I DO get hungry too soon.

Has porridge at restaurant there was no Protein in it so I got hungry within a 2 hour timespan after eating it, whereas

normally I can go a long time between meals.

My portion of food is waaaaaaaaaaaay smaller. I Never take less than 20 mins to eat a meal even such a small portion!

put my utensil down between, as was advised and it WORKS! I Enjoy and savor my food now :-)

This is work, the lap band is a Tool to help me (in my opinion) and I am doing my very best to work with it...it's trial and error for me until this all becomes 2nd nature :) I have faith tho that I will get there and I will Lose weight and be healthy!!

So Forward to Healthy it is! :D

Awesome! Congrats! I am really proud of you for taking up this journey and starting fresh. I met someone a few months ago who also has the band, but never had it filled. Remember that the journey of a thousand miles begins with on step! You are gonna do well!

I'm really inspired by this, thank you! My band has been empty for nearly 18 months and I'm going to get my first fill (2nd time round) on Tuesday, I'm nervous, excited, hopeful and determined. Love the salt Water idea as I struggle with drinking while eating x

I'm really inspired by this, thank you! My band has been empty for nearly 18 months and I'm going to get my first fill (2nd time round) on Tuesday, I'm nervous, excited, hopeful and determined. Love the salt Water idea as I struggle with drinking while eating x

Hi Gail10

I am glad you are starting new too! We can update each other and feel free to message me if you need encouragement Totally have the drinking while eating thing..but it's getting rarer :-) I keep all liquids Away from me when eating.

This is Not easy, its hard work but I've taken the advice of people on here and I too am determined to make it work, I am re-learning how to eat and working With the band as I said I didn't know how to use it before, now I totally understand it! Thinking of it as an hourglass helps + being able to see it working. It is so important to understand how it works, I never knew how before,

Good luck!! and remember: chew chew chew chew & chew some more! Tiny bites of food...chew chew chew chew...put down utensil between bites...enjoy your food..I never take less than 20 mins to eat.

Keep me posted on your journey!! Good luck!!

Awesome! Congrats! I am really proud of you for taking up this journey and starting fresh. I met someone a few months ago who also has the band, but never had it filled. Remember that the journey of a thousand miles begins with on step! You are gonna do well!

Thanks :-) Yuppers one step at a time! I am glad I have the advice from others and encouragement it helps a lot

Thank you

I had an unfill because I was in your shoes. The doctor I went to said I needed a fill because I only had 1.33 CC in my band. I was at the point I could only eat slider food that wasn't until the afternoon and at times couldn't even get liquids or my teeny tiny thyroid pull down. After 5 years of being miserable I decided to get an unfill and let my system rest and relearn the rules. I have lost weight and am ready to get another fill I think. I searched around for a different doctor too. The one I went to for unfill seemed like a quack to me. I was banded in 2008 with a 9.75 band. I have lost 65 pounds and ready to lose the rest once and for all.

I had an unfill because I was in your shoes. The doctor I went to said I needed a fill because I only had 1.33 CC in my band. I was at the point I could only eat slider food that wasn't until the afternoon and at times couldn't even get liquids or my teeny tiny thyroid pull down. After 5 years of being miserable I decided to get an unfill and let my system rest and relearn the rules. I have lost weight and am ready to get another fill I think. I searched around for a different doctor too. The one I went to for unfill seemed like a quack to me. I was banded in 2008 with a 9.75 band. I have lost 65 pounds and ready to lose the rest once and for all.

Wow...I hope I can lose that and more! Congrats! I am so happy that you found help! Keep me posted on how it's going! I go to doctor on March 5 for follow up I will post about it :-)

I am very happy to hear that the band is working for you now! I can't say if I know if you are ready for another fill? I think that is kind of an individual basis, I'm just learning on how it feels and listening to my body, Good luck!!! I know you can do it!!

**** UPDATE**** Whooooeeeeeee!!! :D I went to see my lap band doctor today 30 days since I first saw him!

He weighed me and ......I have Lost 12 pounds!!!!

***Happy dances around room**** Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! :D :D This is fabulous!! It means I am really getting the hang of the lap band & how to use it!!! He is the most amazing doctor!! :)

I told him everything I was doing, how I was experimenting as to what food I could eat, how I stayed away from slider foods. How its ALL about the Chewing! How I eat Protein first then veggies then left over stuff. I am doing vegetarian (NOT a diet, it's a life style change) I like vegetarian food the most so that is what I am changing my lifestyle eating to :)

There ya have it! 2nd time IS the charm! I have learned how to use the band!!! Yah!!! There are foods I've had to give up :( I looooove Chinese food...but it doesn't love the band...so I gave up on that..rice doesn't like the band either which means any sushi I want to eat can take like oh an hour to chew enough to get a piece down so for now I've given up that too ... :( let alone trying to chew the seaweed!

That's my update for now! I only weigh myself 1x per month so it will be another 30 days before I know weight loss again. Meanwhile I shall continue with what I've been doing!

:D