Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill - Is this normal?

I'm about five weeks out post-op and just had my first fill two days ago. The nurse put in 1.0 cc (I think cc is what they measure it by??), but I don't feel any different than I did before the fill. I was hoping I'd get more of a full sensation that lasted longer between meals, but I feel....normal. I'm hungry after about three hours and really ready to eat! I do eat a lot less than I did before by about a little more than half. How much Fluid does everyone usually get in their band before it really kicks in?

I had my surgery NOV 14, had my first full 6 weeks after - 1.5ml and no restriction. Went back to Dr 2 weeks later for another fill of 1 ml and still no restriction. 1 month later I go in for another fill and ask the Dr if he actually banded me! He puts in another 1 ml (takes me to 3.5ml now). That was last Monday and I still have ZERO restriction, so have made another appointment for this week. I guess everyone is different in what they require...me, I'm still waiting. Good luck with your first fill

Thank you for your reply, louluch. I guess I'm not entirely abnormal. My worry is that I have the stomach of the Jolly Green Giant and nothing will limit my stomach from food intake. I really want this band to work!

I was really happy with my surgeon 5 weeks out and started with 4 ccs go back in 2 1/2 weeks . I'm not at that sweet green spot so anticipating more for him to put in. I could definitely tell with 4 ccs put in

I'm at 3.75 cc's and just now starting to feel a slight difference. This is where we really have to be patient with ourselves and our Dr. and take this time to practice cutting stuff up small and not drinking with meals.

Hello all….I am 18 months out from my surgery date and have just received my first fill this week…..my doctor said that it could take 1-2 weeks to truly feel the restriction. I've been on and off this site for 18 months and have heard all different comments on fills. It is such an individual situation.

Wishing you all a quick trip to the green zone!

You guys are all doing it right. Listen to your body and keep up with follow ups and fills.

Keep us posted.

Really chasingadream? First fill after 18 months??? Have you had restriction all that time?

With my first two fills I didn't feel much restriction. I had my third fill four weeks ago. At first I didn't really notice any difference. About 2 weeks into it I started listening to my band and realized I was feeling more restriction than I had thought. I had heard of people listening to their band but never really understood it. The band does not work by itself, it is your partner on this journey. I don't think I am quite to the green zone but feel that I am on the brink of it. Everyone is different. Be patient with your fills and listen to your band. You will get there eventually. Best of luck to you

Really chasingadream? First fill after 18 months??? Have you had restriction all that time?

I wondered the same thing. How do you lose 90 pounds without having one fill? Maybe the doctor did a fill during surgery.

I'm at 5.5cc but not quite yet to green. But like amponder, I didn't really start noticing a difference until around 3-4cc. I'll echo everyone else - everybody is different and just use this time to process! Good luck!

everyone is different. I had 3 fills until i had any restriction, which meant no significant weight loss until i felt restriction 3 months post banding.. At 7mls i could not hold Water down so was back 3 days later to go back to 6.3 ml. After losing 22kgs i feel i need more so had another fill which took me to 6.6mls. . i was banded in june 2014.

Dusty123 you and I are almost alike, 3 fills and 3 months later I'm just noticing the difference right now. I'm at 5.4cc after 3 fills. Surgeons up here in Canada leave few cc during the surgery, had 3.5 when I was banded in October 20, 2014

Everyone is different, my friend never went for a fill yet in almost a year lost 77lbs and still losing and me on the other hand lost 30lbs which half of that was during liquid diet and never lost a pound for 2 months now but didn't gain any either. We have to be patient as it takes time to get to that green zone what they call it. I was frustrated with the wait time in between your fills, up here they will not do any fills until at least 4 weeks is up from your last fill and they only put in a small amounts which could take you close to a year if your band is large and you need lots of CC to get you to that sweet spot but that gives us time to learn a new way of living as we all hear that this is a life changing process and I do believe it's not the band that will change us unless we are willing to change.

Small steps at a time, it's not a race it's a marathon so take your time and enjoy few of those big bites that most of us still tend to have :)

Edited by Hope41