Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why does everything have to be so sweet

I don't think I can tolerate even one more Protein shake. I start gagging just thinking about them. I even tried the unflavored and it has a slight sweet taste.

All I am allowed right now is:

-sugar free Jello (Sickening sweet)
-crystal light (Sickening sweet)
-Water
-broth
-Protein shakes (Sickening sweet)
-milk (also sweet)

For some reason my dietitian scratched off the yogurt and strained cream or clear Soups from my list, but I am tolerating foods fine, other than all the sweetener in everything. It would be nice to just have plain yogurt or some low sodium V8.

I got one more week of this phase and I have already been on it for 3 weeks, any suggestions?

I would add the yogurt!!!!

You don't think it will hurt?

May I ask; what were others post op diets like?

I know just how you feel!!! I am sick of shakes. I was allowed pureed starting yesterday and that has helped but I don't want to drink shakes anymore. SMH

Greek yogurt really takes the edge off the sweet. Also using powder with almond milk instead of the pre made liquids help. No sugar added blueberries, strawberries will also cut the sweetness down. Good luck! It will be over soon- we can do anything if we know there is a time limit on it!

I agree with you, I have a similar program for my first 3 weeks and all the artificially sweetened stuff is gross! I only have a few days left before puréed. The only thing that has gotten me through this has been home made chicken broth. I make a pot every few days (and feed my family lots of chicken salad). Broth and Decaf tea. Good luck!

@@Beanthere - That's why I got the Isopure unflavored naked whey. I can add that to broth and get Protein without constantly drinking sickly sweet shakes.< /p>

Even now at four months I find things really sweet. I went with the Synergy ice tea and now the Isopure black ice tea. Everything else has that sicky taste. Anyone know of anything tart? I also was drinking Synergy lemonade/ ice tea combo and squirted in lemon juice. That helped.

I am 11 days out and i am about to go crazy with these creamy Soups and shakes. I feel like if i eat just one buffalo chicken wing it will take the edge off. I know this is just a mind game but i really feel hungry. Any suggestions. I still have another week or so to go on these creamy soups. Help!!!

I was allowed yogurt on my pre op diet I don't know why your doc scratched it off all docs are different I wasn't allowed any food at all and some on here were allowed a light meal, like grilled chicken and salad.< /p>

Totally hear you. Bought a huge canister of chocolate Protein powder, but I don't think I've finished even a quarter of it, it's so disgusting. On my liquid phase, I got boxes of organic low sodium chicken broth from Trader Joe's, added lots of fresh ginger, and lived off of that. I found that if I sprinkled a packet or two of Gelatin on a bowl of Water to soften it first, it could be stirred into the broth for extra Protein.< /p>

I'm confused about you being allowed milk but no other dairy. Fage 0% yogurt is amazingly good, tastes rich, and is not too sour. I still plow through that like nobody's business. Kefir is great, too. I'd check with your nutritionist and/or doctor about this.

After a gastric bypass operation, the most important items are Protein, Vitamins and fluids. Meals are secondary. Your body is converting your stored fat into energy. That is why you are losing weight.

There are many choices for Protein shakes out there. To me they all taste horrible. It is important for you to find one that you can tolerate. So experimentation is in order. Also you can blend things into your Protein Shakes and it will not count against your meal allotment. I found that blending in a banana into my Protein shake improved the taste substantially. Blending Greek yogurt might work for you.

As your meal allotment increases, you will be able to derive more and more Protein from your meals. I used high protein home made chili and Soups. I am at 1 cup per meal now and I derive around 65 grams of protein from my meals alone. As a result, I went from 3 protein shakes per day, down to 2, down to 1, and then down to 0.

Heres something to try there is a company called aboutttime yes it is one word, ill get the link in a second. They make the gentlest flavored Protein mixes around. they literally have no more than 5 ingredients in the entire product, whey isolate, xanthan gum, natural flavors and stevia. the flavor is sooo mild in some cases its almost barely perceptible. I recommend them to people with hyper taste sensitivity or the over sweetness issues.

heres is a link for their single serving pack, you can also get them through Amazon, ebay and walmart.com they also make a product called fill shake and go, its a pre filled plastic bottle with one serving of mix in it you add the milk or almond milk etc and shake it up and voila, great for on the go or work if you have the need.

http://tryabouttime.com/shop/single-serving-pack/

You can also see my video taste tests on my blog at http://cuttingthefatwithaknife.blogspot.com

just scroll through the olde entries to see them. They have very mild flavors the chocolate vanilla and strawberry are excellent, especially the strawberry its so mild it taste like a light strawberry shake, very smooth and easy. the birthday cake is ok, I had one on my birthday but more as a special thing than everyday and I haven't tried the new flavors yet, cinnamon swirl and mint mocha. They also have a new vegan line called abouttime VE , made with coconut and stuff.

I hope you find something you like. Personally the Syntrax Nectars work for me, another hint is Water in the fruit nectars and milk or almond milk etc in the chocolate, strawberry vanilla type.

Edited by Stevehud

I had this problem and was in tears the first day of my shakes. I could not tolerate the sweet taste. I quickly learned how to make things taste good using unsweet powders such as regular, old fashioned Koolaid powder, cocoa, instant caffeine free coffee, unsweetened Jello powders, etc. I became a mixologist and discovered some great tasting shakes without the sweet taste. I am 2 1/2 years out now and I still don't like the sweet taste so I use these tricks a lot. If you can have frozen fruit blended in like I could, try the vanilla shake with lime koolaid powder, a few drops of coconut flavoring and blend with frozen pineapple. It is delicious! I also used the chocolate Protein powder, cocoa, and decaffeinated instant coffee for a "frappacino". It is also delicious. I had to figure something out fast because as I saw it, and still do, this is a life time change! Good luck with experimenting! YOu will find some great combos!

It all depends on the type of surgery. With my MGB I was able to have plain greek yogurt, clear broths (nothing with cream in it), Gatorade, Tomato juice and V8 juice. Also, I was able to have watermelon with salt added to it. I did unjury Protein, the chicken one. It tastes like chicken Soup. i still use that one now at 8 months post MGB. LIke you, I was not into so much sweets. Good luck! And whatever you try, start small.