Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain and freaking out.

Almost had a full blown panic attack when I got on the scale this morning. I've lost 120 lbs. I am 17 months post op and for the last few months my weight has been stable. I normally fluctuate from 162-164, which I think is mostly Water weight. Two weeks ago I started doing crossfit and got on the scale today expecting to be on the lower end of my flux or even slightly lower. Instead I weighed in at 165.4. I know it's not much, but it's got my anxiety through the roof right now. My husband doesn't really get it and thinks I'm nuts about freaking out about a pound. Needed to get this off my chance to someone that can relate to the fear of gain. I'm just so confused by how this happened when I've upped my exercise level.

I totally get your fear--I'm there with you. I was sleeved in November 2013 and hit my lowest in 10/2014. I had my gallbladder out and then the holidays hit--I did put on about 3-4 lbs and rightfully so but in the last month, I have reduced my calories, cut out all sweets and I lose 2 lbs and then gain 2 lbs-it's so frustrating. I don't mean to hijack your thread just hoping someone out there has some words of wisdom for you (and for me). --Lisa

Are you tracking what you eat? I am just over 18 months out. I had RNY on 6/25/13 and have lost 210 pounds. I have been maintaining between 120 - 125 since June.

I use MyFitnessPal.com to track what I eat. I know that feeling of panic though! Last Sunday was my 50th Birthday. And I went off plan and really celebrated. My weight jumped to 126. I really got back on track, and this morning I am back at 122. MFP really helps me get back on track. It is so easy to think you are making all these good choices, but until you see it all added up, it is hard to know where you are at.

Maintenance is a LOT of work and there is not much help out there. You are keeping track of your weight and focusing on what to do. The pounds will come back off. Have faith - the tool we have been given still works!

Carol

You may have gained muscle, also your body may need time to adjust to this new form of exercise. You may need to increase your calories a bit on work out days, you don't want to go into starvation mode. Make little changes til you find the right formula for your body. Your doing great though

I'm considering revision fro band to bypass and you just sparked a question in my brain....so, if your pouch is a certain size and only hold between 1/4 to 1/2 to 1cup of food....how does one gain weight? Is it the choice of food or is it eating past when one is full? Don't mean to hijack...just figuring it all out...thanks!

Marieze

Marieze, yes basically to what you said. Even though one has a small pouch you can still make bad food choices, eat to often or past the point of full. I have never dumped and can eat all the same foods I ate before surgery. People have surgery for different reasons but if one has a food addiction and doesn't address that I could see how some can gain weight back no matter what surgery.

Hi I agree with the above statements you may be gaining muscle , also you still may be loosing inches, just concentrate on eating healthy drinking Water, exercising . You have done a great job. good luck

Crossfit = muscle gain.

I spent last year cross fitting I'm taking a break while I heal from my revision.

I weighed 182 when I started and a uk 18 I weighed 182 ten months later uk size 14.

Cross fit puts muscle on quick but will improve your body. When you do something like cross fit you have to focus more on measuring/ clothes size especially if you are somewhere around the weight you should be because you probably won't lose and may gain some weight but imagine how fit, healthy and toned you will be!

So hard when you have been purely focused on losing for so long, good luck!