Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so I am in my pre-op visit, the doctor has just told me he is going to clear me for surgery and I am on cloud 9. He says the only thing I need is for the CMA to come in and draw blood for my tests. This woman comes in and she is overweight. She starts telling me that she had considered wls too, but decided she was not big enough to do something so drastic. This woman is practically prancing around the room as she is setting up the stuff to do the blood test. She starts talking about how she lost weight through diet and exercise and the tone of her voice was so superior....like she was so much better than me cause she didn't need wls. I told her I lost weight that way too....many many times. I told her it was not about losing weight it was about keeping it off. Then she starts talking about how it is all about self-discipline. How she is in control of her impulses to eat and setting a good example for her daughter. She was talking about smelling food and starting to crave...but no, she knew she had to take control of the situation and take care of herself.

I was just about to tell the b**** where to get off, but I thought about her sticking this needle in my arm so I just kept quiet. It was over pretty quickly and she left the room.

I was still overjoyed about being cleared....and she didn't mess up my mood. But had I been in a different state of mind...this could have ended very badly.

What the heck?! So basically, the fat, CMA came in to draw blood, for preop WLS, and told you how she is better than all of us having WLS, because she can lose weight, and keep it off, therefore setting a good example for her daughter? The words I want to say are not nice ones. I would probably tell the doc about it. She has no business working there. Zero sensitivity.

You should definitely complain to your doctor. It's unprofessional for her to behave that way toward a patient.

She sounds pretty ignorant to be working for a bariatric surgeon. I think I would have said, "Bless your heart."

I would've been like"oh you loss weight?! Can't even tell! You should try and lose a little more like say another 50lbs Lolz

Avoid offending those who stick needles in our arms. If only they would do the same for us.

You came away with a great story, though. I've enjoyed reading the responses. Is your surgery date set yet?

During my first office visit, before I could even see the doctor, I had to sign a waiver of liability, which I thought was garbage. The very thin receptionist was such a complete and total B that I seriously considered walking out. Much as my doctor did a good job, he had a horrible bedside manner and I tend to think that if a doctor employs people who are rude, it is likely a reflection of their own habits. That being said, good for you for not letting her ruin your mood- you get to have surgery! It's an exciting day!

Mean people suck!

That was very unprofessional! I would have asked her what her name was (after the blood draw). Then told the dr she needs sensitivity training & explained what she said. If you had walked out & decided against using that surgeon then that's money lost for the surgeon.

That heffa!! I am glad you didn't give her too much energy. I heard a lot of crazy, negative comments that pissed me off. A few of them even came from other WLS patients at support group or NUT meetings who thought I "wasn't big enough" for surgery. You have to develop a thick skin to handle this that's for sure.

She wasn't part of the bariatric team. At the hospital I go to, pre-op is done in the surgery support clinic.

My surgery date is February 24th!

I feel your pain. The first visit I had at my surgeons office in Oct, the nurse with my case was bigger than I am, it was a little over whelming to see some one in this type of field over weight themselves and trying to tell me, that they know how I am going to feel after surgery. My thought and my husbands was have they gone thought this process before and if so why were they not able to keep off the weight. got me thinking how am I going to successed if I am not sure I can trust what this nurse has to say if she cannot control her weight either.