Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Past original goal, what decides when weight-loss stops?

Hello,

First, I want to thank this forum for helping me get through my surgery and the first 2 months after which were tough for me. I recently took an interest of viewing the forum again since it helped me so much. I will be 6 months out on Feb. 4th. For me, surgery has been one of the BEST decisions I have ever made. I hit my original goal of 225 lbs in 4.5 months post-op. I am now down to 215 with a BMI of 29 after starting over 42.

I know 215 might not sound super-skinny, but, honestly... For me, I feel like give or take 5 lbs, this is where my ideal weight is. I am down to a 34-35 waist from 44-46, and wearing size Large shirts. I graduated high school wearing XL's and was getting into Triple X at my biggest.

So, in a nut-shell, what decides when I'm at my ideal weight and what is the best strategy to help maintain where I am right now? I've never been a huge fan of the gym, but, I feel like I might need to start visiting just to keep/gain muscle and avoid losing any more. Thanks again for the help, and feel welcome to ask me any questions as well.

Also, I wanted to edit the topic... I realized it doesn't make sense after submitting (I tried to change it originally and failed lol.) How do I edit the topic? Not just material in post? Thanks.

I would think looking on the BMI chart and using your height find out what your ideal weight should be. How tall are you

I would think looking on the BMI chart and using your height find out what your ideal weight should be. How tall are you

Sorry, I thought all of that was listed as my signature on the left side under my name. I am 6 ft 0.

I guess the weight loss stops when you want it to. My ideal weight is around 185, but I'm pretty happy at 205, and it doesn't take much effort on my part to maintain it.

If I see my weight creeping up, I know to cut back by a few bites per meal - it really only takes that little bit of an effort to get back to 205. I also think back on what I've eaten. During Thanksgiving and Xmas, I ate a lot of Spiral Ham and "ballooned" :P up to 215 - 220. But I figured a lot of that weight was Water - from all the salt I was ingesting. And sure enough, 2 weeks into Jan, I was back down to 205 - 207. After I had returned to my normal eating.

I know I could start losing again if I cut back on my calories and/or stepped up my exercise routine.

So it's really up to me to decide what weight I stay at.

Hope this helps.

I don't believe you can edit the Title of your post, once submitted. I've tried to edit my titles before and couldn't find any buttons that would allow that.

Also, I wanted to edit the topic... I realized it doesn't make sense after submitting (I tried to change it originally and failed lol.) How do I edit the topic? Not just material in post? Thanks.

I don't believe you can edit the Title of your post, once submitted. I've tried to edit my titles before and couldn't find any buttons that would allow that.

Dangit, that's kind of dumb. Hope people don't judge my the quality of my post and questions by the title I guess lol.

@@PlzCoolerMe

No judgment from me:)

Congrats on you're success! A healthy BMI is a good indicator of goal range. The exact scale number..you get to figure out what weight you are comfortable at.

I started eating in maintenance mode when I hit my surgeon's goal (BMI 26). I dropped another 22 pounds ((BMI 23) before my body finally stopped losing. I can gain 4-5 pounds by eating a lot of carbs and drinking alcohol (ie. holidays and vacation) but can lose it again just as quick going back to Protein and veggies. I don't go to the gym or exercise, but I have a very active, physical job and lifestyle, so I didn't lose muscle mass. You can control what and how much you eat and how active you are, but in the end Your body is just going to find its new normal.

Edited by Kindle

I've chosen to use a "normal" BMI as my target. So my stated goal is exactly one pound into that range. But in order to maintain that, I'll need to get below my target. Since my goal is BMI-based, it would suck to go "overweight" every time I splurge during maintenance. So my stretch goal is four pounds lower. But whatever system you use to determine your goal weight, go a little below it to give yourself a cushion, and use your original goal as your upper weight target. If you start approaching it, you'll need to buckle down and get back to your "cushion" weight. Does that make sense?

My husband and I had this conversation just last night. He didn't have the surgery but has been steadily losing since I started the Preop stuff 7 months ago. He is 6'3 and currently weighs 210. His goal is 200 which would put him at a BMI of 25...the top of the normal range/bottom of overweight. He is thin everywhere but has that 40yr old daddy tummy that he's trying to get smaller. I personally would not want him to go lower than 200 because on his frame, 200 is thin. I think body frame, how you look, and feel should be your deciding factors on when to enter maintenance mode.

Thanks for the replies. Some very useful info for sure. I need to schedule my 6 month post op, I'm guessing my dr. will be able to give me some more insight into this.

Any other input? Thanks.

Well I would want my bmi to be in a range where it is the best for me Healthwise not necessarily how I feel I look. Because if I go by looks then I would be happy still being slightly obese. I want to be in that healthy weight range not slightly overweight which a BMI of 29 is. I think a lot of us are more comfortable being slightly "fat" so our vision of too skinny is different. My husband whenever he loses weight always stops too soon and he starts to pack it on again. He thinks a size 36 waist is just fine. He would run faster though which is his hobby with a little less so I remind him of that when he complains of being slow.

Your titles fine! I understood exactly what you were saying!

Update, I am now around 190lbs give or take a couple, and have been so for the last 3 to 4 months. As most people indicated, my body just needed to get where it was "comfortable" and it has seemed to stay there.