Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post op and only lost 3lbs...

I am so frustrated. I lost almost a pound a day on my preop diet, now post op and hardly loosing. I was expecting for the fastest weight loss to be in the beginning and for it to then slow, but with only a 3lb loss I don't know how slow it could be later on.

You are only 6 days out. You are doing fine. I felt like I was not losing anything, but now I look in the mirror and cannot believe the transformation.

I had my surgery on 11/21/14, so was not that long ago. I, to date, have lost a little over 60 pounds. I just put it down to the healing process and the swelling we all obtain when having the surgery.

You will loose it, do not get put off by the small amounts. As long as you listen to your surgeon and realize this is only a tool, you will do GREAT>>>>>

Have a great evening...

Annamarie

Was your preop liquid diet? If so I think this is normal. Also you are only six days out-your swollen and retaining Fluid. Follow your diet, get in your fluids and Protein and it will come.

This my second week I only lost maybe two lbs - but I put on my jeans the other day and guess what? Used the ladies room and pulled them down without zipping. Lol.

Your doing great!!

Plus, you get a lot of fluids while you are in the hospital. It took me a week before I was actually below my weight on the day of surgery.

Out of curiosity I weighed myself the day I got back from the hospital and I was up 11 pounds from all the liquids! Your body was likely stabilizing all this week. I don't get hung up on the scale, and never have, so weighing frequently isn't a big deal for me. If you think it's going to mess with your head maybe only weigh every 2 weeks or monthly?

I am really glad you shared this! I was thinking today that I don't feel like I have lost any weight and how discouraged I am going to feel if the scale hasn't moved at my first week checkup. It is good to be reminded about all the factors in play and that not everyone will notice immediate, significant weight loss. If you think of it after a week or two, come back to this post and let us know how you are doing. I bet the other folks who responded here are right. In a few weeks, you will start to see the drop!

Don't forget, you still need to purge all the drugs they pumped into you during and after surgery. That can also keep the Fluid weight on you.

I'm 6 weeks out and my first week I lost nothing then I lost 25lbs in the next 2 weeks. Then of course I got the dreaded three week stall. It doesn't come in a continuous flow

I think part of it might be the fact that we are so limited on fluids. Think about it...it's just like with food. If you skip meals, it doesn't matter of the next meal is a healthy salad, your body will turn it into fat. Right now our bodies are trying to hold onto fluids. It could be a little wonky as we go through the various stages of the post op diet. Don't get discouraged yet...we're all in this boat with you!

Edited by BHoenig

People are way to worried about there weight...I understand that the purpose of this surgery is to lose weight but we have these really crazy ideas that we are supposed to lose it like right now...it doesn't work like that. It's a process the weight will come off but it takes time..your real focus should be recovering and getting used to your new life style..I am two weeks out and haven't stepped on the scale once and I won't until I am able to start working out again...I feel like people after getting this surgery forget that it is not a cure it's just a tool...plus any weight lose is good...I hear people complaining about it being 3 weeks out and they only lost 30 pounds?!?!...honestly before surgery have u ever lost 30 pounds in under 3 weeks. Just calm down. U will get there .

i agree with rafaelsp89 for the most part. I do believe you should get on the scale though, for the sole purpose of making sure you don't put on more than two pounds. My doctor expects us to go to the ER if we gain more than two pounds because there could be complications happening inside your body. Ignoring the scale all together seems dangerous to me.