Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medication & the band

I have several diseases and many chronic conditions. I take 12+ prescriptions which equals about 18 or so pills a day. I have been taking these or ones like these for over 30 years actually I was 30 pills at one point. Today down to about 18. I am 16 months post op. I take my pills 4 a day to spread them out. In the beginning my meds and the band didn't work...terrible pain..but as usual I had to find a way to work my life with the band and believe me the band is in control. It went well for awhile now I'm finding that I'm getting the pressure in my chest area by my port...Also I get severe headache each time I take my pills along with the pressure by my port. I have severe chronic headaches..but this is new that along with getting a couple headaches a day...now also the four times I take my pills. I'm not sure if my band and pills are the problem or something else. I can't crush most of my meds as they are made to last throughout the day. I'm on S'S so need my meds to be low or 0. So changing to liquid or chewable is very expensive. Now I had an MRI for worsening headaches and now my primary is figuring out if I might have MS. That's neither here or there. Just would like to know what any of you banders have a problem like what I described and how you have been handling it. Thanks in advance. Sorry took so long to get to the point.

I am so sorry you are going through this - it sucks. I take one medication that doesn't have a liquid alternative. At first I was able to take one pill but then I had to lower the dosage by now taking 2 pills to equal the same amount. But I haven't reached green yet so I am afraid I will have to go smaller once again. I feel lucky to not have any medication get stuck but I did experience one time where my med wouldn't go down at first. And these are the most bitter things you have ever tasted - NOT fun!

I hope you have a favorable diagnosis and I do hope your docs can find out what is causing your headaches. I am sorry this isn't more helpful!

I'm sorry I have no helpful advice. I just wanted to tell you I hope they can figure it out for you. I went from almost a dozen prescription and OTC pills a day down to one blood pressure pill and a chewable Vitamin. I don't leave my fill appointments unless I can swallow two arthritis Tylenol caplets. I've been at green for a couple of months. I'm almost 11 months post op.

Thx for support..i am Bipolar...take 9 pills a day for that..diabetes...quit insulin but take 4 pills for that..Low thyroid..one...heart condition..2... and including all others otc...about 9 there...those are as needed but most of them have to take. Am I feeling sorry for myself? Yeah sometimes..just mostly severe depression due to bipolar...I am 64 I don't think that any of these meds will be going away..I just hope the neurologist next month will be able to at least diagnose the problem but more than likely confirm my dementia or MS . So more than likely unless I hit the jackpot $$$$$ I'll be with the band and the headaches. I do try meditation with rhythmic sounds so I can relax and concentrate on it instead of my headache. I use the sounds of a babbling brook by Joe Baker. I just have to deal with reality and live my life with these disabling conditions. But try to live a life to the fullest when not being controlled by them.

I am dealing with this on a smaller level right now. I honk the person who said she takes two Tylenol with Water when she has a fill, may be on to something...

I have recently been prescribed a fairly large BP med that I have been crushing and mixing into applesauce. Works ok, just a pain in the patootie!

Just investigate if it can be crushed...or maybe just split in two smaller tabs. Ask your doc or pharmacist. Good luck!!