Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow loser due to my age?

I'm almost 15 months out and have averaged only 2 pounds a week. My doc says I'm loosing at a 1959 model (meaning I'm almost 56) Has anyone else experiece this. The doc doesn't seem concerned but I would certainly like to lose faster. I'm following the program including exercise!

I am in my 50's as well, I have hypothyroid and am going through menopause. I am losing at a much slower rate now vs. in the beginning. I am probably losing about 3lbs a week.

2 and 3 lbs per week is awesome! When was the last time you were that successful. Keep on smiling, you both are doing fabulous!

I've not heard that age is a factor in how fast or slow you lose weight. I was 52 when I had my surgery (4 days before you it looks like), I've gone thru menapouse (3 years ago) and I have also have hypothyroidism (taking levothyroxine). I'm down a total of 85 pounds and have leveled off now which I'm okay with. I've slowly reintroduced carbs back into my diet so the lack of loss is something I'm controlling, it's not because of age. My surgeon has said I could easily drop another 10 to 15 if I keep the calories lower and don't do carbs but we're both okay with me where I'm at now.

My sister had surgery when she was 45. It put her into menopause. She was unable to lose all her weight. That was eight years ago. She has maintained a 100 pound loss and is pleased with where she is. I think everyone is different, But certainly, as women, age plays a part in how we lose, surgery or not. To keep things in perspective, I know that when I was weight watcher-ing it, I would have been THRILLED with two pounds a week. Especially if it was consistent and steady. Just starting my journey, but I, for one, am praying for a slow steady weight loss. Hopefully then my skin will not be as saggy!!!

63 yo 6 weeks out and down 22 lbs from day of surgery plus 13 lbs lost on 2 week preop diet. So total of 35 lbs in 8 weeks. With 2 knee replacements exercise is slow so not a real factor.

I am thrilled with my progress as is my surgeon. At my age I am prepared for slower weight loss. Not a problem. It isn't a race or a competition its a journey. My goal is improved health. I feel great and I've already stopped all diabetes meds and hope to lower the blood pressure meds next.

I'm also hoping a slower loss will help with the saggy baggy skin though I'm realistic in my expectations ????

It took me many years to get to the point that I considered WLS. I realize that it will take me longer than many others but that's ok. For the first time in I can't tell you how long, I actually believe I will get there! ????

I read men burn calories faster than women but that said I'm 61 and don't think age has anything to do with how fast or slow you loss weight. To me it's your metabolism. My example is me. Basically I'm lazy when it comes to working out. I don't go to the gym but do love working in the yard, weather permitting. I started my journey last Aug and have lost 81 pounds since surgery. To me that's pretty good for not doing much exercise. My weight loss has now slowed down to about a pound a week. So my thoughts are who cares how fast or slow you loss. Stick to the plan and everyone will get to their goal.

I'm 55 and 1 month post op. I'm down 20 lbs including opti fast

I'd like to loose faster, but it ain't happening

Thanks. Now I know why I am not losing faster. I am happy that I lost weight. Would like to lose more but like you guys, I believe my age is a factor.....

I'm 54, had my surgery on Valentine's Day, and I'm down 71 lbs. I think a lot has to do with how much you have to lose, and how active you are. After 4 1/2 months of steady loss, I've hit my first plateau, and it has nothing to do with my age, in my opinion. It's because I'm not as busy at work since the spring rush has ended, and I'm starting to eat more. I'm still eating healthy foods, but I've added in a few Snacks. That has to end if I hope to reach goal!

Brown eyed..

I turned 56 the day of surgery and I lost 40 pounds pre-op when he told me to only lose 25. I am 4 weeks today last weigh in I lost 17 pounds since surgery likely more now. You can do this ♡♡

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

I've not heard that age is a factor in how fast or slow you lose weight. I was 52 when I had my surgery (4 days before you it looks like), I've gone thru menapouse (3 years ago) and I have also have hypothyroidism (taking levothyroxine). I'm down a total of 85 pounds and have leveled off now which I'm okay with. I've slowly reintroduced carbs back into my diet so the lack of loss is something I'm controlling, it's not because of age. My surgeon has said I could easily drop another 10 to 15 if I keep the calories lower and don't do carbs but we're both okay with me where I'm at now.

Good job [emoji1303] 85lbs down !!!!! You lost great despite hypothyroidism. [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]
What are your stats if you don't mind ?
I'm pre op .. 53 & have Hypothyroid .. just started levothyroxine 6 weeks ago. Doc says i have to get tsh to a 3 before Surgery..

I'm 57 & will have Gastric Bypass on May 30, I start my pre op diet tomorrow

I'm 1 year out and have lost 97 lbs since surgery and 127 lbs total. Highest weight was 320 and I'm now at 197. My doc says only 20-25 more lbs will be enough for me. I had the revision to RouxNY

I'm 1 year out and have lost 97 lbs since surgery and 127 lbs total. Highest weight was 320 and I'm now at 197. My doc says only 20-25 more lbs will be enough for me. I had the revision to RouxNY