Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: Would you have surgery again if you............

Just wondering. i had my bypass last week. While I was in the hospital several of the staff said " you're going to be a skinny minnie." Now I know it's going to be nice to look smaller. But I had to ask myself, and now I am asking you........

Would you have had surgery if the only benefit were that you became healthier? That there were no size reduction at all? For me, I don't know if I honestly would.

Absolutely! I had diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and metabolic syndrome. Not to mention I was always fatigued and depressed. Most of my issues have completely been eliminated or has significantly improved. Even if there was no weight loss, I would have had the surgery

That's a pretty interesting question. Personally I would not have had this surgery if it did not induce weightloss. My health was fine before surgery. The only things I had going on we're back pain ( which could have been addressed with physical therapy and will still need to be) and fatty liver, which from what I understand is not immediately life threatening. So rerouting my intestines just for a small fix on those issues wouldn't have been worth it.

My energy levels were poor and I felt very uncomfortable, but I wasn't going to die from that.

Why do people think, especially thin or average people, that it is so criminal to want to look better and be the most attractive people we can be? Why is there shame in wanting to lose weight, considering every American standard of beauty revolves around size?

Yes, you can diet. Just make sure it's the hard way, not the easy fix way or you won't deserve it. That's such an American mindset. Things don't have value unless they require hard work. Well they just don't know how hard this surgery really is!

My ex husband used to give me shut about the wanting to be thin all the time. But yet he hated my weight! It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't. The truth is that 99% of people want to lose some weight! And yet we aren't supposed to want to be attractive or we are labeled as superficial.

I did this surgery for the weight loss and the associated perks of feeling and looking better, clothes and shoes and dates and everything in between. I wanted my children to have a beautiful mom they can be proud of and my daughter inspired by.

It is a huge additional benefit that weight loss will also cure my fatty liver and help my back, energy levels, etc. But I wouldn't have found giving up eating for life worth the risk to fix those.

It's been painful as hell and I've now had two surgerys and five trips to the er for complications. But I still believe it was WORTH IT.

So maybe I'm a superficial person. But I'm going to be dancing at my sons wedding one day and have the energy to do it, AND LOOK HOT. :)

I honestly would, to be able to sleep at night and breathe easy, to have energy! Sure, but the weight loss is also a symptom of a healthy mindset which comes as a result of making this decision.

I absolutely would. No more diabetes, high cholesterol, Gerd/severe reflux and most important and the reason I moved forward with this surgery, an improved kidney function.

lol! You go @ @bellabloom! I personally do not believe that it is superficial to want to look your best. I was actually thinking that without the change in the outward appearance, I am not sure I would have done it and wondered if anyone else thought about it that way. I did not have a lot of health issues either. But did feel like that was a likely future......

That's a pretty interesting question. Personally I would not have had this surgery if it did not induce weightloss. My health was fine before surgery. The only things I had going on we're back pain ( which could have been addressed with physical therapy and will still need to be) and fatty liver, which from what I understand is not immediately life threatening. So rerouting my intestines just for a small fix on those issues wouldn't have been worth it.
My energy levels were poor and I felt very uncomfortable, but I wasn't going to die from that.

Why do people think, especially thin or average people, that it is so criminal to want to look better and be the most attractive people we can be? Why is there shame in wanting to lose weight, considering every American standard of beauty revolves around size?

Yes, you can diet. Just make sure it's the hard way, not the easy fix way or you won't deserve it. That's such an American mindset. Things don't have value unless they require hard work. Well they just don't know how hard this surgery really is!

My ex husband used to give me shut about the wanting to be thin all the time. But yet he hated my weight! It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't. The truth is that 99% of people want to lose some weight! And yet we aren't supposed to want to be attractive or we are labeled as superficial.

I did this surgery for the weight loss and the associated perks of feeling and looking better, clothes and shoes and dates and everything in between. I wanted my children to have a beautiful mom they can be proud of and my daughter inspired by.

It is a huge additional benefit that weight loss will also cure my fatty liver and help my back, energy levels, etc. But I wouldn't have found giving up eating for life worth the risk to fix those.

It's been painful as hell and I've now had two surgerys and five trips to the er for complications. But I still believe it was WORTH IT.

So maybe I'm a superficial person. But I'm going to be dancing at my sons wedding one day and have the energy to do it, AND LOOK HOT. :)

I had comorbidities. Diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea. that was my main reason. Every time I saw MORBID obesity in writing, I was terrified. I was living with the fat, I thought. would I do it again? Absolutely. people without comorbidities ... Well you don't have them yet. if it had just been about fat, I'd have had it 8 years ago. I wish I had done it then.

Absolutely I would. Type 2 diabetes gone, high blood pressure gone, high cholesterol gone, muscle aches gone, joint pain gone and my energy is higher then its been in forever. Today I shoveled snow for the better part of an hour and the beauty of that is.....I could, I did and it didn't bother me, so YES - in a heartbeat.

Yes. I would have done it much sooner.

If no weight loss would be part of it than no. I managed my diabetes before surgery. And now no more diabetes and I'm losing weight. But if I was only going to get rid of my diabetes again nope

Sure my knees were starting to hurt and I've had back problems for many years...I was insulin resistant with PCOS and borderline blood pressure.

My decision to have this surgery was because my pants were too tight and I was sliding dangerously close to my previous highest weight. I felt like I had wasted my 20's and I wanted to spend the next decade of my life at a normal size, enjoying things I would never done at my previous weight.

I don't think it's superficial to want to be "normal". I'm not asking to look like a supermodel. I just want to be comfortable in my own skin. But I do think it's superficial when people I know start being nicer to me because I'm smaller. That irritates me. Discrimination irritates me. But that's another topic. ;-)

Actually, weight loss was not a part of my decision. The fact that in the year before my RNY, my health took a severe turn for the worse due to diabetes. Drs told me that RNY would change things back to healthy again. And it has. I've not had the dramatic weight loss that others have. I'm a slow loser and it's okay! I've already accomplished what I set out to! No diabetes meds. No high blood sugar levels, no pancreatitis caused by the meds. I'd say surgery was a success!

Yes! In a heart beat. I have two children that I want to see grow up. :)

Edited by richkatrina

Absolutely. Even though I didn't yet have any weight related health conditions. My father has them all so it was definitely in my future. Glad I was able to prevent them from happening. Being skinny is a happy side effect also though.

Actually, weight loss was not a part of my decision. The fact that in the year before my RNY, my health took a severe turn for the worse due to diabetes. Drs told me that RNY would change things back to healthy again. And it has. I've not had the dramatic weight loss that others have. I'm a slow loser and it's okay! I've already accomplished what I set out to! No diabetes meds. No high blood sugar levels, no pancreatitis caused by the meds. I'd say surgery was a success!

Sorry @@Mommabird, I gotta ask - you have lost 74 lbs since surgery in December (so only 2 months) and you are a slow loser? I can only hope I have half that much success in that amount of time! (Looking forward to reversal of diabetes too though!)