Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a type 2 diabetic in remission since month 2 after rny.

I was on insulin and oral meds prior to surgery

This week I have had 3 bouts of low blood sugars hit me suddenly.

The first time was while walking and I walked further than normal and it was before dinner so I thought that was why. Blood sugar was 52.

2nd was at night after getting all of my requirements in and just going to bed. Blood sugar was 51.

Third was today while at the mall, so I was walking but not at a great pace and I didn't have my meter with me so I don't know the number. I carry a Protein bar with me so that helped.

What am I doing wrong? I am so not used to lows!

Edited by Sparklingbeauty53

This is not uncommon with RNY patients. You should read up on Hypoglycimiia after gastric bypass just in case. I have heard of people carrying glycemic tablets for low blood sugar events.

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/25/4/217.full

Catdaddy thank you for the link. I am researching this now and did read that. I hope this isn't a pattern for me.

Catdaddy thank you for the link. I am researching this now and did read that. I hope this isn't a pattern for me.

I'm mentally ready for it just in case. There's an old WLS pro that comes on line every once in a while and he was the one that brought up the glycemic tablets. He says he knows when his sugar is low by a feeling and just pops a tablet when it happens.

I seem to know it too. It happens fast but I know it so I act immediately and have the tools-though not the tablets. I know Protein helps after you bring the sugar up a little. I will get them tomorrow because I have never had any until now and 3 in one week is too many. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong but after racking my brain maybe not; thus my post.

When I was a diabetic type 2 in full swing I maybe had 5 lows in all my years so I know this is nothing to play with. Scary but manageable with the right tools. I believe I will up the number of Protein shakes now too for comfort.

I am a bit worried about this myself. I was a type 2 diabetic prior to surgery. I have been testing only once per day at this point which is a fasting glucose. I started out in the low 70's and this past week I am now in the 60's. I guess I should read up on this because I have had the feeling several times that my sugar is getting too low.

I am a bit worried about this myself. I was a type 2 diabetic prior to surgery. I have been testing only once per day at this point which is a fasting glucose. I started out in the low 70's and this past week I am now in the 60's. I guess I should read up on this because I have had the feeling several times that my sugar is getting too low.

have you stopped all your meds?

I am going thru the same thing. I was off my diabetes meds before surgery due to the preop diet. I noticed it two weeks ago when I almost passed out in my Water arobics class. My A1C is very low compared to my last one so they think its been going on for a couple of months. After tracking I have noticed that I start getting symptoms under a reading of 80: headache is number one, weakness, shaky, anxious, light headed, dizziness and the urge to just eat and eat. Now that I know the symptoms I realize that it was happening a lot but didn't put it all together. When I get under 60 I get confused, disoriented and feel like I am going to pass out. I have to test my sugar constantly to stay on top of it. I have added more Fiber to my diet and have been eatting more complex carbs and it seems to be a little better but still happens. I am having to eat three meals and three Snacks a day and sometimes eatting doesn't bring it back up and I have to use the glucose tablets. After an ER trip, talking with my bariatric surgeons office multiple times they r calling it delayed or late dumping syndrome. I have a scope scheduled on the 16th to look at the opening to the small intestines. If the food is falling out to quickly because the opening is to big it hits the small intestine then the pancreas releases insulin which drops the blood sugar. I am hoping the opening is fine and it's just my body adjusting to losing 80 pounds in 4 months because this would be my 2nd revision surgery.. I had a stricture at 7 weeks out that they perforated trying to dialate it open. I could possibly have the complete opposite problem now. But it is all still worth it and I would do it all again if I had to.