Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anybody thought about or purchased an Bariatric Emergency Medical Braclet?

Not really. My surgeon gave me a card to carry that tells anyone to call him first prior to anything being done GI wise

Yes, my surgeon recommends it for his patients. There are other threads on this subject if you do a search. :)

Summer

Yes, my surgeon recommends it for his patients. There are other threads on this subject if you do a search. :)

Summer

My apology....

No apology needed. I was just letting you know :)

Anyone got good suggestions of where to get one that is not so expensive?

I use RoadID. It is fully custom. You can add emergency contact info. Your name, hometown, alternate contact. Allergies, ect. You can pick the band color but can also switch the id part to a different color band. They come as a couple different band styles.

I got mine to trail ride and fox hunt on my horse. I sometimes ride with people that know me but would have no way to know who to contact in an emergency or the phone number. Mine currently says No Known Allergies. I have 2 band colors.

These bands are designed for cyclists and runners.

There is also a more expensive option where you can load a complete medical history into a website and the hospital can electronically access it based on a web address and code on the Bracelet. I think that has a monthly/yearly fee.

Edited by NikkiDoc

My surgeon told me that medical bracelets are not necessary for sleeved patients. The only people that need them are gastric by-pass patients.

But if it makes you feel better, there is no reason in the world why you couldn't get one.

I use RoadID. It is fully custom. You can add emergency contact info. Your name, hometown, alternate contact. Allergies, ect. You can pick the band color but can also switch the id part to a different color band. They come as a couple different band styles.

I got mine to trail ride and fox hunt on my horse. I sometimes ride with people that know me but would have no way to know who to contact in an emergency or the phone number. Mine currently says No Known Allergies. I have 2 band colors.

These bands are designed for cyclists and runners.

There is also a more expensive option where you can load a complete medical history into a website and the hospital can electronically access it based on a web address and code on the Bracelet. I think that has a monthly/yearly fee.

As someone who works in a hospital and knows ER nurses, EMTs, and Paramedics - the website options are pretty much useless - at least in the health system I work in they're not going to bother checking a website if they're dealing with an emergency.

@@GreenEyes604 You just never know.

My friend had the lapband. She lost a lot of weight, took her 5 yrs. Well, she had surgery for something else. Even though she advised of her lap band, for some reason, something went wrong in the operation room. Her esophogus is messed up and they had to deflate her band. She has gained half the weight back and still cannot put the band back on until her esophogus heals which is taking forever.

Because of that reason, and because there are many nurses and CNAs still not familar with the sleeve surgery and all the complications that can come with it if directions are not followed, I think the Bracelet is a good idea. Not to mention, there are many average people out of the healthcare field that are clueless when it comes to the sleeve.

I know it would suck to wear one, but the idea is a proactive one.

Edited by Pac-woman

@@Pac-woman Sounds good to me!

I already wear a medical id Bracelet because I take a blood thinner, allergic to penicillin & have COPD that requires oxygen. I got my bracelet from Amazon. It's an expansion bracelet & I can add other medical issues to it. It wasn't expensive. I saw they now have a piece for Grastic Sleeve which I want to get along with a couple of others. Personally I think this might be a good idea to have one.

I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT IT, SO DO WE REALLY NEED ONE WITH THE SLEEVE OR NOT? NOW I'M CONFUSED. ALSO I DON'T WANT ONE THAT SCREAMS IT LOUD AND CLEAR ESPECIALLY SINCE NOONE KNOWS I HAVE BEEN SLEEVED.

I have a medical id Bracelet. Not only to say I'm diabetic but to also say that I have my vsg surgery and can't have the NG tube and no nsaids. It is just a lil helpful hint to ppl who are going to be trying to help you out and don't have that info. It is not expensive and something that will not hurt.