Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newer You... older habits...

So much room in the bath tub..

I also do the handicap dressing room and go to the women sizes first. Size 30 to a 12 is a shocker..4x to a medium.

Passing people in the halls in the school building afraid I am in the way..

Sitting next to people in meetings.. Instead of on the outside so I don't take up too much table space..

Not having to ask people to stand up so I can get in around them. I still say excuses me and I am sorry and I am not even close to them.

sleeping next to my husband in bed.. Without having to have hundreds of pillows to be comfortable.. Never thought a king bed would feel too big!!

I can fit into a size 14 now but somehow still feel the need to buy bigger size clothing kinda like a security blankie has the 100 plus pounds I've lost not affectedy view of myself Will I ever be thinner on my mind. Will I always have the same old insecurities I know the regular bathroom stalls are fine for me but does my fear constantly continue to make me do old thibgs

Not knowing what size I am! All my clothes lately have been from Chico's (1-2-3) consignment stores (mostly in S-M-L-XL sizing) but at costco the other day I stood there needing jeans and had no idea what number size I was. My default was to err on the side of larger...which meant going back the next day to buy the size 12 it really needed.

I still sit down gingerly on toilet seats (though I no longer need to), since I still have that body-memory of the horror and shame from having broken one at someone else' house!

I still never think to try on anything sleeveless, because my entire life my arms have been (in my opinion) too fat to go bare. Now they look pretty good and strong.

I constantly ask my husband if I am hurting him sitting so close or leaning on him. That was my fear before and still is.. He laughs...Said never hurt before and now "Why would I even think that"

Fun thread! I've gone through most of what others have posted. Like always gravitating to larger parking spots, toilet stalls, and seats. I've been known to scope out seating in places to determine if I would be able to attend an event or outing, and I couldn't be sure about it, I'd find a reason to not go. I'm thankful every day those days are behind me, and I'm sad at how much of my life was dictated by being fat.

I continued that thinking for the first year or so, and it was always fun to realize I was becoming normal. Now, at over two years out, I don't think about that stuff so much, and certainly not in the same way. I will accept an invitation to someplace I've never been, and just be glad I don't need to think of my size as a barrier any longer.

One habit that I still haven't been able to shake is that I still have a fleeting moment when I want to try every new diet that comes on TV, join weight watchers when it's free, and I still get that old feeling of hope when I hear of a new weight loss drug is being trialed or approved.

One habit that I still haven't been able to shake is that I still have a fleeting moment when I want to try every new diet that comes on TV, join weight watchers when it's free, and I still get that old feeling of hope when I hear of a new weight loss drug is being trialed or approved.

I have this problem too! I will be flipping channels and come across some sort of weight loss infomercial and I'll watch it for a good 10-15 minutes before I realize that I couldn't even do it if I wanted to. There was this one where you were supposed to be able to eat pretty much everything you wanted, you just had to choose one item from each of three lists for each meal and I was all into it and then I realized I've been sleeved and there is no way I could eat that much food! Too funny that it managed to suck me in for a good long while before I came to my senses.

This is my favorite thread in a long time. :) Thanks for starting it.

Yeah, the handicapped bathroom choice. Not sure I'll ever stop yearning for extra real estate there. But you're right--it's no longer a requirement.

And an old habit I really need to break is looking for parking spaces close to the store, so my feet and legs won't hurt while walking to the door. My feet and legs don't hurt anymore, so I've gotta change that one. Thanks.

I recently noticed, while standing in line at the post office, that I didn't really need to lean against the wall and slouch there to relieve my legs and feet from the weight of my body. That was a real eye-opener. Now, I can just stand erect, in line, with no issues. Kaboom!

My posture needs some work. I have slouched so long from the extra weight that I have considered buying one of those back braces that make you stick your tits out all the time. Anybody tried that? Got any other ideas about improving your posture after losing a lot of weight?

I'm practicing walking up stairs now without hauling myself up the banisters with my hands and arms. Likewise, I am practicing going down stairs without holding on for dear life to the stair railings. Truth is, because I'm no longer at the same risk of falling that I once was I don't want to continue to move my body like a semi-invalid.

That's all for now. But this is a great thread. Hope others post here, too.

I am far enough enough out I don't do too much of this anymore..but I am a terrible judge of clothing fitting me. I went to a consignment shop and the owner found a really upper end LBD that looked WAY small but it fit perfectly.

I try to squeeze in small spaces at restaurants. I socialize with meetup groups and alot of people aren't necessarily obese but overweight. I feel like it is a nice thing to do to take the "squeeze" spots because I remember how humiliating that can feel- a woman dressed up and looking good but not being able to get through crowded chairs etc. Now, that doesn't embarrass me because I definitely have a skinny butt so I never feel judged whereas 50# heavier and I probably would feel judged.

I'm totally in that class of people who pick out the big clothes first, thinking there's no way I'll fit into a small or size 4-6, but I do.

My ears still perk up at those weight loss commercials and I've noticed now how many of them there are.

TMI - but I still feel really self conscious undressing in front of my man... somehow I don't see that my body's not fat anymore. My legs are thin and toned, I have a defined waist and nice, curvy hips.

I still sit gingerly on folding chairs and outdoor plastic chairs. I've had those things collapse and break on me before. Its difficult to forget those moments, and they are always in the back of my mind.

Great topic, losing 80 pounds that I have been carrying for 25 years did create some old habits. I just realized I can use the tray on an airplane in the economy section. ;-) It no longer is blocked by my stomach. I was looking at exercise equipment and realized all the maximum weight limitations don't matter to me. It's the little things...

I can't wait to be able to post in here!!! (As I just had a freakin binge lunch!)!! I'm so mad at myself!

OMG, I have to stop "looking in the women's sizes clothing section" because hello nothing in there fits me. But for some bizarre reason I have to start there and then go one size smaller, then another and another. I will not adjust to I am a regular size 14 or 16 now, even a regular size 18 is too big. I look at the jeans I purchased and go, no way this is going to fit, I must have tried it on when I was really dehydrated or something. But no, it fits with lots of room. It's so silly but I have been doing this for weeks. Body dysmorphia, I think it's the term. I have it so bad. But every once in a while I look in the mirror and go, wow, I look amazing. There is hope!

I definitely have the clothes thing going on, too. Most of my clothes that now fit are 10 years old that I saved and I really need to get new ones! I have started buying a few things and am amazed that the 14s are starting to get big. I tried on a 12 dress and it fit, but I didn't buy it yet. I really need to get jeans because my ones from 10 years ago are out of style and I am 5'10" and couldn't find them long enough back then (lots better selection now)!

I always use the big stall in the RR, but will continue as I hate the little spaces and feel more exposed to germs!