Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your differences between Year 1, Year 2, and Year 3?

See, you are already a liar so what's a little tinkering with the scale?? haha. I weight almost daily - probably 3-4X a week I guess. I use it as a monitor to see if I am maintaining - I think it is a really good question if the actual number itself is all.that.important.

I am 5'5" - most of the time but it varies and I have even been told i was closer to 5'4". I was at a doctors pre surgery and they measured me barefoot and got 5'6" - I wondered if I was so fat that it had made me taller? Maybe it is that wild hair of mine poofing up the measuring stick? Actually, what it really made me wonder is if they can't get my height right should I really trust these people with prescribing meds or picking up a knife??

See, you are already a liar so what's a little tinkering with the scale?? haha. I weight almost daily - probably 3-4X a week I guess. I use it as a monitor to see if I am maintaining - I think it is a really good question if the actual number itself is all.that.important.

I am 5'5" - most of the time but it varies and I have even been told i was closer to 5'4". I was at a doctors pre surgery and they measured me barefoot and got 5'6" - I wondered if I was so fat that it had made me taller? Maybe it is that wild hair of mine poofing up the measuring stick? Actually, what it really made me wonder is if they can't get my height right should I really trust these people with prescribing meds or picking up a knife??

Yikes! Isn't that the truth!

Cowgirljane,

Thanks for your feedback. I just needed to browse on the vets forum to see what to try "not to do" - I don't want to fail with the sleeve like I did with the band. Surgery is in 4 more days. I'm scared but ready to start this new journey.

Good evening ya'll. This is my first post in about a year or so. My surgery was September of 2011 and I got to within 10-15lbs of my goal by that following June (2012). It stayed there for a good year or so....then slowing crept back up and now i'm about 20lbs more than my lowest weight. Which now brings back to 35-40lbs away from my goal. I fear some times that my sleeve isn't working anymore. Maybe I didn't train myself as good as I could have during that initial phase. I still continue to try to be physically active (I've done the Tough Mudder and recently the Spartan race), but that sleek, lean body that I almost had is now faded away. I know this may sound vain or idiotic...but I REALLY wanted to be in the best shape before my husband and I get pregnant for the first time. I keep procrastinating thinking that we'll get serious about making a baby once I'm at my goal weight but at this rate, I'll be 40 before that happens and the liklihood of an easy pregnancy lessens with time. I'm now 35. I'm so glad that I logged back in to see these posts that document everyone's long term progress. Perhaps I'll check in once a week or so to get my head back in the game.

Thanks for listening ya'll :)

Maybe we could share what we eat., and what is sabotaging us.

I live alone, so it's really hard for me to force myself to cook just for me. I need to cook a bunch of chicken or something that I could eat for more than one meal.

I eat a lot of Greek yogurt, sometimes ham around a pickle. dinner there always seems to be to go boxes in my fridge.

It's at night that I start with all the grazing. 100 calorie pack of almonds, a Carb Smart fudgesicle. I think they're 100 calories too. Sometimes a tangerine if I have any. It's non stop in my brain "what can I eat?" after about 7pm. I don't know why. I wish they could operate on my brain like they did my sleeve.

@@Oregondaisy I have that same recording. I can control it until about 9 pm, then I think I am just tired, and it gets harder. I go to bed at 9 most nights, and I always say nothing good happens for my diet after 9 pm! Most days I succeed in beating that ridiculous cycle of thinking, but once in a while it gets the best of me. I've been drinking Water lately, and it does seem to help.

Thank you, everyone, for all your candor! This is exactly what I was looking for when I joined BP a little over a year ago. From the very start I predicted that the initial weight loss would probably be the easy part. Truth be told, I'm not a year out from surgery yet, but I have made it to goal, and I'm looking for tips on how to maintain that loss. Your stories, both the successes and the challenges, are an inspiration. Even the struggles provide examples of what works and what doesn't. So thank you all, I plan to keep putting in the hard work to follow in your footsteps and remain healthy for the long haul. May your successes stay one step ahead of your challenges!

My first year felt like my life was taken over by my sleeve. I focused every ounce of energy on exercising, eating EXACTLY right, and losing the weight. I had plastics by the end of the first year and moving into the second year. I never lost my hunger after my surgery, so that initial eight months or so was really tough, I felt like I was balancing my desire for a healthier life with feeling like I was starving. At the end of the first year I was at my ideal body weight, in the middle of the BMI range. I could eat less than one scrambled egg at the end of the first year.

My second year things seemed to fall in place. I was fit - really fit! I was cycling 40-60 miles regularly, working out about 10-15 hours per week. Life was good. I found that I had to eat a lot because I was so active. I maintained my body weight within 5 lbs. At the end of the second year I started unintentionally losing weight. I could barely finish a scrambled egg at the end of the second year - maybe with one or two cherry tomatoes.

My third year has been tough. I became B12 deficient and had major medical issues as a result(take high quality Vitamins without fail - and start injections for b12 at the first sign of nerve pain in your hands or feet!!). I have had pretty severe hypoglycemia, too. It comes on without warning at times, and every time I exert myself, and does not seem treatable with diet. I spent most of the year underweight, although am slowly gaining back to a healthy range. I can ride my bicycle about 5 miles now, and am as exhausted as I was during year 2 when I cycled for 40-60 miles. I can now eat two scrambled eggs and two cherry tomatoes, with a tiny bit of room left in my sleeve.

I eat salads, fruits, and veggies. I eat bread, Pasta, and rice without problems. I eat fish, chicken, and steak, although obviously in small portions due to their density. I eat ice cream, Cookies, popcorn, and candy - although I eat these foods in moderation! I never, ever, drink and eat at the same time. I never, ever, drink soda. Soda was a major trigger food for me previously, and I know myself well enough to stay away from it now. I don't eat out often, and do my own cooking at home. I don't eat low calorie due to my weight being low, but I do eat healthy, home cooked foods.

I think I outlined the natural progression of increased capacity over time - and I can imagine how that could lead to problems. My advice is to take the bull by the horns initially and be prepared not to let go.

@It's all new

Did you eat very low-carb during your weight-loss phase (first year)?

A pattern I think I'm seeing is that those who a year or two after losing weight begin to suffer from post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia are those who ate very low-carb for a long time. This doesn't happen to a lot of VSG patents (less than 10% -- maybe closer to 3% say some studies). But for those to whom it happens I understand it can really cramp your lifestyle.

What do you know about this kind of hypoglycemia and its cause(s)?

@@VSGAnn2014 I am curious about your observations. Tell me more.

I find this thread so interesting...I have never really followed the rules very well which has worked for me so I guess I am very lucky. At Year 3 I do still try to get my Protein in and I don't really drink with my meals, but I eat whatever I want, just in small quantities and I exercise faithfully. Still, I did have a 4 lb weight gain so I went to the 5 Day Pouch test and I am now 1 lb under goal. Very happy with that for Year 3.

I just don't want dieting and food to control my life any more so I am just trying to be like a normal weight person.

@@VSGAnn2014 I am curious about your observations. Tell me more.

@@CowgirlJane ... really not much more than what I said in my post above at http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/330902-what-are-your-differences-between-year-1-year-2-and-year-3/?p=3824614

Over at www.gastricsleeve.com there's a woman named "Grace" who really suffers from this problem. To find her posts, use the Advanced Search function and look for Keyword "hypoglycemia" and User Name "Grace." Her posts have generated some good discussions on that board.

I read an article yesterday at bariatriceating.com that talked about life after WLS, and it really speaks to this topic. Sorry, I couldn't find the link this morning! Anyway, I really agreed with the author, in that we ARE on permanent diets for the rest of our lives. Just like our friends who are thin, we have to watch what we eat. I often see people who say they are not, and I'm envious, but it's not my reality. It also addressed the harsh reality of how things do not get easier over time, echoing what so many of us have found. That's a great site, too.

I will be two years out on the 15 of May and I still feel like a newbie!

Year one was amazing. I hit my personal goal in 9 months and then lost about 6 more within the next few. I followed my doctor's orders to the minute and am so glad I did. It was almost as if I needed to prove to myself after a lifetime of failing at diet after diet that I could really do this.

Year two has also been a treat. I have bounced around the same 6 pound range for the last year. I would REALLY like to lose about 10 pounds but that said, I've not made any stellar efforts to do so. Maintaining has been super duper easy -- way easier than it should be.

When I eat like an asshole, I gain 2-3 pounds. I go back to eating all cheese, meat and almonds for a day or two and I lose it again. Wash, rinse, repeat. I am totally "blessed" with super tight restriction. I can barely over 1/2 cup and have found no true sliders. If I really want to limit my eating, I drink some (WTF!!?!) Coke Zero and then I am unable to eat for at least an hour. By then, the need to eat passes, and I'm good.

I don't track as much as I should, and I feel as if all of this is too good to be true. I keep telling myself that I really need a bit more structure so that I don't gain 10 pounds, then 20, then... I am NOT going to let that happen. I can't. I am far too happy where I am to go back.

@@CowgirlJane -- please check your messages. It's your help I need. :D

Still, I did have a 4 lb weight gain so I went to the 5 Day Pouch test and I am now 1 lb under goal. Very happy with that for Year 3.

Glad to hear that the 5-Day Pouch Test works! I've linked to it here a few times, but haven't tried it yet. Now that I'm experimenting with expanding my food list, it's good to know that it's effective. One pound under goal at Year 3? You're rockin' it!!!!!