Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated postop...concerned

Um, no. Just like most the people on here, I have an unhealthy relationship with food. Pretty sure a food addiction. And if anyone could have stuck to a a diet or healthy lifestyle change, they wouldn't have had chosen a surgery as a last resort. Also, just as any lifestyle change, it's a process. And its going to take time to adjust And settle. Everyone makes mistakes. It is mental and it's not a brain issue you can fix over night. You live abd you learn. I've learned my lesson. I do not appreciate the judging.

I just really would appreciate encouragement and personal experiences. I cannot change what is done nor reverse the surgery. Negative feedback makes this process more difficult.

How old are you?

And are you still pre-op? Or have you already had surgery?

Edited by VSGAnn2014

@@xmaleengyx - I wasn't judging. I was trying to offer support. Counseling isn't a bad word. You yourself just said you have a food addiction. Counseling is what helps address those addictions and unhealthy food relationships. Truth is some of us have the surgery and go on from there, and some of us need counseling to address the mental part of why we eat they way we eat.

Do not let anyone defer your feelings. You did nothing wrong. No one is perfect and this surgery is a life changing event. Which means it will take time to fully accept the change that is going on. I had the sleeve a week ago and everyday I want to cheat. I haven't and I know that if I do it will hurt. I know your struggle. Take it day by day. Don't give up and begin to accept your new life. U can do it

I think what some people mean is that you are falling off the wagon a lot for someone who literally just got on the wagon. You are setting up a pattern of behavior.

Seeing a therapist might be the best thing at this point. You want to get this under control before it gets out of hand. Sometimes people can't do that on their own. It's not a failing on your part. It's to help you succeed and gain the control you will need to make this work.

I myself am 8 days post op. Its so tough but you physically cannot cheat because you will get sick. Im on Clear Liquids for one week, full liquids for another week (my current situation), and then pureed foods for 2-3 weeks. Then I can move to trying solids. Its very tough but each surgeon is different and those rules are in place for a reason. They know better than us when it comes to what we need. And what I really learned in the pre op diet, they want you to get use to that small amount of liquid/food because that's what you'll have to deal with during the healing process.

Thank you all for sharing. I am now on my 3rd week. I am doing well. The switch has finally turned on in my brain. I honestly feel it was an adjustment I needed to mentally go through.its a big change for anyone to process. I am on soft foods this week And feel a bit more normal. I went to Kemah over the weekend and I was fine being surrounded by all the bad foods I once enjoyed. NO TEMPTATIONS. I am extremely proud of myself and how I am evolving into this new person and lifestyle.

End of week 3. No weight loss. Barely eating. Everything bothers me going down. I feel weak, faint and fatigued. Lips get purple. Feeling a little stomach pain at times. Everything I swallow seems to stay in my throat or want to come back up but I never actually throw up. I'm allowed soft foods but if it's not liquid it hurts my tummy going down and as digesting. I'd rather not eat. Is this normal?

You may not be losing because you aren't getting in enough. By 3 weeks out you should be close to getting in 60gms of Protein and 64ounces of fluids. If you aren't ready for softs foods that''s okay but you really need those fluids to stay hydrated. A little soreness is not unusual. We have to eat super slow. Early on it was take a tiny bite, chew,chew, chew until it dissolves, wait 2 FULL minutes. Then and only then take another bite and repeat. If you are really having trouble keeping things down call your doctor.

As for the scale. Put it away. I only get weighed at the doctor's. I focus on eating well. Try using an online app like Myfitnesspal, Sparkpeople or any of a zillion others. I look at what I'm eating and really watch my macros. Especially my carbs, sodium and sugars. So far I have yet to go to the doctor and not show a weight loss.

Another thing to do now why you are just weeks out is take your measurements (neck/boobs/waist/hips). Retake them every 2 or 3 months. This way even when the scale isn't moving you can see the differences in your body.

You're human, it happens. I was on the liquid pre-op diet for two weeks, with the only solid allowed being raw veggies with no dip or dressing. I was very low energy not only for work, but for the 2.5 hour commute each way. I had progresso 99% fat free Soups for dinner a couple of nights. Two nights before surgery, I went out with my family to TGI Fridays and got the sizzling chicken under 500cal meal. I subbed out the mozzarella salad for steamed broccoli to make the cal count even lower. On the day before surgery, I had a small wonton Soup for lunch.

I did inform my nutritionist and she said that the occasional divergence from the pre-op plan would likely not harm me. Sure enough, I had lost a decent amount of weight by the time I had surgery and the surgeon told me that my liver looked great!

Now I'm not advocating for cheating in the least. I'm just saying that you're human and you're going to slip now and again. It's not the end of the world. Just make sure that post-op you stick to the plan. Otherwise, you may physically harm yourself.

End of week 3. No weight loss. Barely eating. Everything bothers me going down. I feel weak, faint and fatigued. Lips get purple. Feeling a little stomach pain at times. Everything I swallow seems to stay in my throat or want to come back up but I never actually throw up. I'm allowed soft foods but if it's not liquid it hurts my tummy going down and as digesting. I'd rather not eat. Is this normal?

Your tummy was butchered so it's still very swollen. Reintroducing foods is a very sloooow process. Some people need to go slower than others so take your time with the soft foods. Remember Protein and hydration are crucial. Not only will you feel better but it promotes weight loss.

You are experiencing the classic 3 week stall. Everyone raise your hand if you experienced it? Lol. I did. I think many many do. I didn't drop anything for about a week. Your tummy is resting and healing. It WILL start dropping again.

As always though if you have any questions ask your surgeon/nut. They are the best guide to what is normal and what you should be concerned about.

Hang in there! Hope you are feeling better soon

New to this, trying to post topic, not sure how to. I got sleeved on Feb 16th. I did 5wks preop diet, lost 20lbs. Had a cheat week in between thinking I wasn't getting surgery because it was cancelled twice. I caught a severe sinus infection in hospital which I still have 10 days later. Antibiotics and medicine are making me sick to my stomach so I started taking sugar free pudding, low fat yogurt and mashed potatoes with skim milk with medicine to ease nausea while it was supposed to be liquid only. My calorie intake has been 100 a day but I have only lost 5lbs since surgery! How does this make sense? Someone please help ease my mind, why am I not losing weight? I only cheated with those foods two days and those were the days my actual weight went down, on liquid only, I lost 0 lbs and Protein Shakes are literally making me sick at this point, can't drink them anymore without them coming back up. I've seen people losing 30lbs first week post op, why is mine so slow?

Sometimes your body needs to adjust before you start loosing again. I know I would not loose weight.on 100 calories as my body would go into starvation mode. I do better on 500 c a day with mainly being.in Protein form..no empty calories like Jello and no potatoes. Try greek yogurt plain and if you can cottage cheese low fat. Have ypu tried the Protein Drinks that arent shakes like protein waters