Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated postop...concerned

Soo...I finally gave in. I started my liquid post op diet last Friday. My surgery is on Monday. I cheated yesterday and today :/ I only lasted 3 whole days-which I'm still amazed by. I have 5 more days until surgery and plan to stick with it. I hope that's enough time to be where my surgeon needs me to be. Can I still burn fat in this time frame??

Also, I've gained 4lbs and looking very bloated...not fat, but bloated Balloon like. Could this be all the Water and other liquids I'm consuming???

Has anyone else cheated and still had a successful surgery??

I think you mean Pre op diet, post op is after surgery. And if you cheat like that after surgery you will regret it for sure. that being said no one is perfect if you fall off the bike get back on and keep riding. remember you have to make the changes yourself the surgery is just a tool if you want to have it fail, then fail it will. Its like smokey the bear says, Only You. except its not preventing fires its changing your life.

Good luck with the surgery, and you most certainly can do this.

Yes, I meant pre-op. Oops. And yes I understand. It's just been hard to adjust. A definite shock to my system not eating solids. I know its not going to be like this forever (liquids).

Thank you

I have my surgery tomorrow and I cheated yesterday and this morning????!!! But I was told to take some milk of magnesia and I should be fine!! Fingers crossed!!

I think the pre op liquid was the hardest part of this process. Shrinking your liver is so important. The dr needs to get around it and if he cant no procedure. It depends on your age weight and health if cheating is going to affect your surgery. I have NASH from the diabetes and being fat my whole life so the preop diet was extremely important for me to follow. My liver was very "sticky"but I was able to get my sleeve but my dr said he had to be very careful. I would tell your dr you cheated so he will know we what to expect when he goes in.

Hi, I'm a psychologist who recently had VSG surgery. It is very important to be prepared both physically and mentally for the surgery. The pre-op diet is the first test of your will power and commitment to changing you life style. I understand it can be difficult, but before you cheat, you should try to remind yourself of all the reasons that made you decide surgery is the right choice for you. Your reasons should help keep you on the right track. As a reminder, you may find that it's helpful to post your reasons on sticky notes, and place them on the refrigerator. keep in mind, the surgery will only assist you in your weight loss journey, the hard work will still need to come from you. As previously stated the diet is very important because it is designed to shrink your liver in preparation for surgery. I would also encourage you to inform your surgeon. Good luck!

I'd say do the best you can between now and Monday and try not to let your slips ruin the rest of your pre-op diet... Shrinking the liver is the main reason for the pre-op diet so be sure to admit to your surgeon before you go under what has gone on. You want him or her to make the best informed decision possible for the safest surgery. Best of luck to you!

I cheated all the way to the day before surgery.. I'm 3 days post now. I'm on track for now. Stay strong. It's not easy

Is post op harder than pre op?

My fear and axiety is just getting through the procedure alive. I haven't let myself focus too much on after. Most people say the pain isn't baD.

I will keep you in my prayers

Is post op harder than pre op?

It really depends on you. I didn't have a pre-op diet. I was just told to cut back on carbs & fat and increase my Protein. I wanted this surgery to go well so I did just that. As for post-op, it's been pretty easy. My biggest challenge was finding a Protein Drink that worked with my multiple allergies and vegetarianism.

I had to do 30 day diet consisting only of Protein drinks (Myoplex Lite) plus raw vegetables. The first two or three days were rough, but after that it was pretty easy. I am finding post-op to be much more challenging.

Good grief.

I wonder if some people have any idea what they're getting into.

@@xmaleengyx - I just realized you cheated 3 days into your pre-op program and 5 days post-op. That's a bit concerning. This is as much a mental game as it is a physical one. If you cannot deal with the challenges required you may be setting yourself up for a fall. You may want to consider counseling or at the very least seek out an in person support group in your area.