Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone gone through menopause AFTER the surgery?

I had the surgery fall 2012... The first year was great... The end of the second year, I have gained 18lbs and went through menopause... I am wondering if this is common... I still average about 1300 calories a day, but cannot seem to shake this weight gain... On 1/15, I started doing the 5:2 Intermittent Fast Diet... One week out, I am finally down 3.6lbs... I am committed to doing this 5:2 plan for at least a month to see if this gives me the results I need... I have read that a weight gain after menopause is not uncommon, but I thought 18lbs was quite a bit for one year. ????

Well.i am finding I need less to maintain now at 3 years versus 1 or 2 years post op...

Hey! Yes, I have!

My surgery was July 2010 and in the early part of 2011 my blood tests showed that I was peri menopausal, I was 39 then (I've had the symptoms for a long time, but my weight was always blamed) ... I went through a series of trying HRT and none of it agreed with me, and I too put on weight - only 6lbs though. Since then I have struggled on and although managed to lose weight, it was incredibly slow and highly frustrating as I was ticking all the right 'boxes'.

Nearly 5 years from my sleeve surgery, I am still not at goal and over xmas I had a small regain, which I am slowly getting rid of but it is very slow.

I also do the 5:2 and when I am strict it does work for me, but I don't see any weight 'flying' off... It is sooo frustrating isn't it!

Good luck with the 5:, sounds like you've made good progress so far.

Writing to this post rather late but peri menopause can throw a curve ball. My surgery was inJuly 2012 my weight loss was slow but happening. I went from 260 pounds to207 in the first 2.5 years. I suddenly put on within a month to six weeks 20 pounds within that time I also became forgetful and vague. I was eating very low still around 900 calories so was shocked. I have a more rare form of thyroid disease so went to see my endocronologist. She promptly congratulates me can you believe in putting on only 20 pounds! Go figure. Saying that I have peri menopause and she generally sees ladies who put on 30 to 40 pounds . So in other words 20 pounds may be expected 40 pounds is because panic can set in she says to me so don't be concerned. I went on HRT as my hormones were seriously affected and in the last 18 months haven,t gained more but not lost either. Pretty scary as my exercise has increased and food remains low. Joined this forum to keep my inspiration going. No regrets from surgery but very slow journey feel bad sometimes that I never made goal. Thoughts please

I had my last period right about the time I had surgery. I haven't noticed a direct correlation because I vary widely on Snacks and exercise, so it's hard for me to say what causes a gain or loss, other than those two factors for me.

Lynda

Menopause is not kind to us in many ways. I had shortness of patience... And slow weight loss.... However always quick weight gain

Simply. NOT fair !!!

No option for me as hormones will not be ok for my body. Sigh. Mid life!

Wow, just saw this thread for the first time, never thought menopause could be a factor. I always blamed my thyroid. I never reached goal ( I'm 17 months out). Now, I have to assume menopause could be a factor?

I work out 5 days a week, log my calories and still vacilate between 167/168 #. Very frustrating and at times emotional. You would think with all this work I could drop at least a few pounds. Sigh...

Anyway, I'm determined. I just have to figure out what will work for me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I had a hysterectomy (uterus only) one year ago. Although I still have my ovaries, I think menopause has finally set in. Hot flashes every evening and at night. (Anyone else have a partner who is overly amorous when s/he wakes up and finds you nude and panting in bed? I don't have the heart to tell my husband he's not a rock star.) I am suddenly far less interested in that arena of late too.

I am only 42, so I am hoping for a few more years before my hormones go completely out of whack, because I have heard that menopause does cause weight gain.

Good luck!

I had my surgery in January 2016. I've had signs of perimenapause for about 2 years - periods months apart. I had my last period before my surgery 3 months ago. I lost 35 pounds since the preop diet. Then 2 weeks ago, the hot flashes came during the day and night, causing me not to sleep well. My weight loss came to a halt. I just had a fill yesterday, my 4th, and I'm still hungry and craving things I haven't eaten in months. Anyone found a solution to this?

not yet, but I will. I've been in perimenopause for a while now. what a wild ride. I had a total hysterectomy last year, but kept my ovaries - hopefully another 5-10 years before they kick over on me.

I'm not gonna lie. I love my sleeve, but the hysterectomy was the best surgery I've had so far. life changing.

Thank you for this post. I am nearly 3 years post-op and have experienced weight gain (just posted myself about it!) and didn't really consider the menopause aspect. Funny enough, it turned out one of my last regular periods was the day of my sleeve surgery. I was told to expect irregular periods post-op, so I didn't really think much of it until I was over two years out and had only had a handful of periods. I haven't had the blood tests to confirm it, but I'm guessing that I am well into it at this point. I have noticed that the weight gain has not been in the areas that have histocially been my problem areas--thighs and butt. I have always been an hourglass, but the new weight seems to be all in the belly and love handles, never something I had before. Thank you nature!

I was sleeved in Oct 13 and I'm now at Goal weight and have been for 2 yrs. I'm about to get plastics next month Body Lift, Breast reduction/lift and arm lift. I also turned 50 this year but no menopausal symptoms yet. This has made me stop and think what sort of havoc it will cause me when it hits. So anyone who is experiencing this I would love to hear what your going through and what you are trying or have tried.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm not going through menopause *now* -- but I went through it almost 20 years ago. (I'm 70 years old.)

What I know about menopause is this: What others experience during menopause may or may not bear any resemblance to what you will experience. There's a long list of symptoms that women may experience, but not everyone experiences all of them and, more importantly, the severity of those symptoms varies dramatically.

For instance, I was bothered very little by hot flashes. They were infrequent, didn't last long, and didn't upset my routine.

My biggest menopausal complaint was insomnia. Prior to menopause I slept like a rock every night. My sleep patterns never returned to those "slept like the dead" nights. But that could also just be an aging / maturational change. ???

My mother reported that she had also experienced few noticeable menopausal symptoms. Two of my four sisters sailed through menopause, but the other two struggled badly.

Sorry I can't be more definitive. ;)

I'm not going through menopause *now* -- but I went through it almost 20 years ago. (I'm 70 years old.)

What I know about menopause is this: What others experience during menopause may or may not bear any resemblance to what you will experience. There's a long list of symptoms that women may experience, but not everyone experiences all of them and, more importantly, the severity of those symptoms varies dramatically.

For instance, I was bothered very little by hot flashes. They were infrequent, didn't last long, and didn't upset my routine.

My biggest menopausal complaint was insomnia. Prior to menopause I slept like a rock every night. My sleep patterns never returned to those "slept like the dead" nights. But that could also just be an aging / maturational change. ???

My mother reported that she had also experienced few noticeable menopausal symptoms. Two of my four sisters sailed through menopause, but the other two struggled badly. Sorry I can't be more definitive

How did you manage the insomnia, and how long did it take before you could sleep well again? This symptom is driving me crazy! Thank you!

Edited by BethinPA

How did you manage the insomnia, and how long did it take before you could sleep well again? This symptom is driving me crazy! Thank you!

I didn't manage the insomnia very well. I honestly think the insomnia contributed to my continuing weight gain through my 50s and 60s. There's all kinds of research that links insomnia and weight gain.

Here's what I'm doing these days that's helping a lot:

* Post-WLS I'm drinking less coffee than I did before -- no more than a cup a day. That is helping.

* I'm exercising a lot more than I did 100 pounds ago -- and that physically "wears me out" and lets me rest better at night.

* About 50% of the nights I take either a Melatonin or half an Ambien. It helps. Sometimes.

* Since WLS I go to bed when my husband goes to bed, in other words -- at the same time every night. Following that sleep schedule rule really does help.

* I manage my reflux a lot better since WLS -- meaning that I actually take my H2 blocker antacid (Ranitadine) every day and on time.

* Since losing 100 pounds, I don't have stress incontinence and don't have to get up during the night to pee anymore. Not a single time.

* Finally, I'm just a lot less stressed at 100 pounds less than I used to weigh than I used to be. I fall asleep easier and generally sleep better throughout the night.

However, one thing I have NOT conquered that still messes with my sleep is to deal with the damned cat who always wants out when I'm sleeping soundly; I then have trouble getting back to sleep. I think the cat and I are going to have a serious discussion. I think he's going to have to spend the whole night outside from now on.

Thanks for making me focus on this a little better. The cat won't appreciate it, but I do. ;)