Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Huge Winter Storm Predicted Same Day As Sx

I'm trying not to freak out. But there is a huge winter storm predicted for Monday into Tuesday. And my surgery is scheduled for Tuesday morning! I know that I will get there. I live 20 minutes from the hospital and I'll leave an hour or more early to get there. But I am so worried that the hospital or the surgeon may cancel. I plan on calling my surgeon's office tomorrow just to see if they ever cancel due to inclement weather. And when the hospital calls me with my admission time I will ask them the same thing. I realize that it will not be the complete end of the world if it gets rescheduled, but I have already waited so long, have my heart completely set, I am finally truly ready and committed to weight loss. I have the days requested and approved to be off from my job, as do my boyfriend and mother. So not only would a cancelation be very upsetting, but myself and my family would have to try to get different days off and whatnot. By no means would I want anyone risking their life to get there! I am just wondering if anyone had heard of surgeries getting canceled due to snow?..

Thank you!

I'm with you and totally feel your pain. I'm scheduled for Thursday, but have appointments scheduled this week for pre-op testing and PCP approval. I think the storm may interfere with getting my clearance in time.

I have mentally prepared for a delay, but I'm hoping for the best.

If you are still on - Please be careful going out in the snow, drive very slowly and leave plenty of extra time. I don't know where you are, but for NYC the weather guys described Tuesday morning travel as treacherous with white-out blizzard conditions. Maybe go to the hospital ridiculously early? I'm talking 6-8 hours early. Yes it will be miserable waiting around but you'll be there before it gets terrible out. Maybe?

I feel your pain. Good luck!

I realize it's likely nerves speaking but the storm won't be that big. It's a big storm coming per new reports but it's not a blizzard that threatens to shut down the city. At best you may be delayed but I bet it will happen on the day it is supposed to.

Same boat here! My surgery is supposed to be tomorrow but I'm worried that the storm will postpone it.

I had surgery in Mexico and was supposed to arrive the day before. Here's my weather-related travel nightmare....

I got to the airport only to discover my flight was cancelled because the SLC airport was closed due to a storm and my connection was through there. Since it was Christmas time, all flights were booked and the next flight they could get me on was two days later! So I hopped in my truck, started driving and played phone tag with Delta on my way to the next closest airport...5 hours away. I finally got booked to fly standby on the LAST flight into San Diego. Arrived at 1:30am day of surgery, but had to get a hotel room because the OCC shuttle couldn't get me until until 7am. Meanwhile, my sister was already checked in to the TJ Marriott. I finally made it to OCC and ended up being the last surgery of the day.

Talk about stressful, but where there's a will, there's a way. Just believe your surgery WILL happen and do whatever it takes.

Edited by Kindle

I realize it's likely nerves speaking but the storm won't be that big. It's a big storm coming per new reports but it's not a blizzard that threatens to shut down the city. At best you may be delayed but I bet it will happen on the day it is supposed to.

There actually is a blizzard warning here in NJ

I have my surgery this upcoming Friday however my final pre-op appointment is Tuesday morning at 8:45am. Im hoping the appointment isn't canceled if we get what they are calling for. I am also in Jersey.

Edited by suitechicguy

In NYC too. Mr. Mayor has said to expect 2-3 FEET (ugh) and that it could possibly be the worst storm the city of New York has seen in its recorded history.

At least I'm on a liquid diet and didn't have to go to the grocery store ???? trying to see the positive here!

I was scheduled for Monday but doc had an emergency surgery and was bumped to tuesday now im thinkin the same thing!! I hope they don't cancel

In NYC too. Mr. Mayor has said to expect 2-3 FEET (ugh) and that it could possibly be the worst storm the city of New York has seen in its recorded history.

At least I'm on a liquid diet and didn't have to go to the grocery store ???? trying to see the positive here!

That actually that is a bright spot lol

Where in Jersey are you? I'm in the northeast and I know they are talking 1-2 feet ????.

My bad. I wasn't trying to make light of anyone's concerns. I'm in Philly and they are predicting that here as well. I just tend to take most weather reports with a grain of salt. I am prepared but not scared. Wasn't Friday's storm supposed to be 3 - 6 inches and we got like 1 - 2?

Anyway in my experience most hospital's in the NE are prepared for bad weather conditions. Unless roads are shut down I doubt they will cancel anyone's surgery.

Talk about stressful, but where there's a will, there's a way. Just believe your surgery WILL happen and do whatever it takes.

I love how positive you always are! I'm a glass half full gal myself.

Looks like we are all in this together! Here's hoping for a fast moving storm, with less snow than predicted!

**raises Protein shake**

Cheers!