Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost almost too much weight

I went for my preop appointment on Friday and I am 3 pounds away from having a BMI that is too low for the surgery on the 2nd. The surgeon took me off the preop diet and told me to eat (that's a quote).

Before I saw the surgeon I saw a PowerPoint presentation that showed an alternative surgery if you don't shrink your liver it requires A long incision up your abdomen.

Now I am kind of freaking out because I want the surgery and don't want to lose 3 pounds but I don't want to have that alternative surgery either.

Do any of you have any suggestions on maintaining a balance so that I don't lose weight but I don't make my liver bigger after going off the one-week shrinking diet?

Just eat high Protein, low carb. The fatty liver issue typically only comes up in extreme case. As long as you don't go crazy eating you should be fine. I didn't have a pre-op diet and I had a really high BMI.

He does not want to the the other surgery either... I was close to the cutoff, and didn't have to lose any to get the surgery.... just stay the same if you can. I don't think a pound or two will kill the deal. He just wants to make sure your liver is not fatty.

I wouldn't go crazy eating everything that you see, but eat and be mindful of what you eat.

My doctor warned me not to lose too much weight, too. I have 100 lbs to lose so it seems impossible to hear that! I am so careful now and I've only lost 4 lbs. However, I think I will put some cheese on my morning omelet and a a better lunch of a good salad. I crave crunching.

I agree with you so much when you say that you don't want to regain your pre-op weight! It seems to crazy. I am so overweight now. I picked the potatoes and corn out of my Soup last night. I think I will still do that since it is fatty liver making. I have a doctor's appointment in couple of weeks. I'll see what he recommends and let you know.

The post-op problems of others scare me so much. I sure want to be comfortable afterward.

I am practicing chewing and having trouble. The food is getting so mushy that it starts going down without my swallowing it! So I am left chewing while some is drifting down. That sounds like I might choke on it. SUGGESTIONS?

I just put half-pound weights in my pockets, bra, underwear, etc. when I weighed in pre-op close to surgery.

After surgery I didn't do that anymore. ;)

@@Lindemrat - That's about right. Since you can't eat and drink together you want to chew until food is dissolved.

Edited by BLERDgirl

That is life... I don't do the chewing forever, but if you are not having the surgery, it is recommended for you to do the practice. This helps you slow down and may make it possible for you to actually sense your full mark rather than eat fast and over fill witch is so easy to do.

The losing to much is possible. I know, I did it. I looked gaunt and it took a while to regain. Then it was hard to stop the regain. Uhg. Try but drinking 1/2 hour before your meal, during, and 1/2 hour after. 15 minutes for Snacks. Chew chew chew... Not to the point of gagging but enough to slow you down. If your not full in 1/2 hour (me it's 15 min) stop anyway. Focus on Protein first, limit anything white (bad carbs) and see how you do. You should see a progress within a few weeks if you hold your self accountable. Take Vitamins as well.... Good luck my friend